Wasn't able to finish W4D1 :(

Options
aimforhealthy
aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
I wasn't able to finish all of Week 4 Day 1 today. I really struggled with Week 3 on Day 1, but felt pretty confident going in to the 3rd day and finished it relatively easily. I thought I'd be able to push through Day 1 of this week ,but during that last 5-minute run, I felt exhausted and completely lost my breath. I was going slow, taking it easy, concentrating on my breath, etc. but I still I only made it through about 3 minutes and just went straight into cool-down mode.

I slept VERY poorly last night and only got about 5 hours total, which thanks to various wrong numbers and an early appointment, etc., were interrupted 3 times, so I know part of it is that I'm tired, but usually C25K gives me more energy. This time it was just draining.

On the one hand, I ALMOST made it, just 2 minutes shy, but on the other hand, I was exhausted and now my legs are killing me. I take rest days in between - no exercise except ab work and upper body toning - but now I'm wondering if I should repeat Week 3 or if I should try Week 4 again on Thursday. And if I do, I'm not sure if I should even "count" today as Day 1 or what.

Thoughts?

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....how about you pretend like today didn't happen since you couldn't give it your all and repeat the day. I'm sure others will have advice too.

There are so many times that I have told myself that it is more mental than physical. Also, don't try to have a super fast pace. I'm running 30-34 minutes at around a 16 minute mile pace. I keep having to have reminders that my pace will improve when I think about how slow I'm actually running.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did week 4 day 1 last Friday. Like you I needed to walk some of it. I did day 2 today, and was very close to completing it. I will be doing day 3 on Thursday, and hope to fully complete it. I was tempted to go back to week 3, but am glad I didn't.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    I would repeat it. I have been away from running/jogging for over thirty years. I have been wanting to get back into running for years. This year I finally did it I am on tomorrow I will be doing W2D3 for the second week in a row. What I am trying to get at is if you don''t feel you are ready for the next stage then repeat the last stage until you are.
  • tcs1012
    tcs1012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did it last night.....barely. The last five minutes was super slow though. I plan to repeat days and/or weeks that I can't complete on the first try. The main thing for me is to just keep pressing forward. I have never been a runner in my life so all of this is hard for me. I figure that as long as I'm trying then I'm better than I've ever been before.
  • ttoomey27
    ttoomey27 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My vote goes for a W4D1 do-over. I think it is better to repeat a day until you are able to complete it than to go backwards.
    Great job getting as far as you did! I bet if you give it another try on a full night's rest you will finish.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people saying they couldn't do a day, or missed a day for some reason or another and just move on to the next day but I whole heartedly believe you shouldn't move on until you're comfortable with what you accomplished. If you're struggling, definitely do it over. theres no shame in it. Hell I've been on week 5 for 2 weeks now lol. In fact I redid w5d1 4 times until I could get through all the 5 minute runs without losing a lung. Only this week did I start day 2 and now I'm working on my 8 minute runs. I can get through them, but I'm struggling, badly. I'm only cheating myself if I move on. I want to get through the 20 minute run without all the struggles. I don't care if it takes all summer. Cut yourself some slack and relax. Its not a competition. Its just you and the road ( or treadmill lol) You'll get it eventually :flowerforyou:
  • minnndymae
    minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My vote goes for a W4D1 do-over. I think it is better to repeat a day until you are able to complete it than to go backwards.
    Great job getting as far as you did! I bet if you give it another try on a full night's rest you will finish.

I second this! You'll get this, your awesome!! :glasses:
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    so, @bostonandie, whatcha decide? lol we're kinda on the same boat. I'm suppose to start w4d1 today, but I've considered doing week 3 again since it wasn't as easy for me. I can't imagine 5 minutes! I had to slow down to a slow jog to finish week 3. After reading some advice, I feel like I should challenge myself and attempt week 4. And if I fail, then back at week 3 it is.

Feel free to add me.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Don't go backwards. Keep pushing forward. You were sleep deprived, that most certainly had an effect on your run. But keep your chin up. Everyone, even the most seasoned marathoners, have "bad runs." I am training for a 10k now, and every time I lace up my shoes I am chasing the runner's high that I get around 2.75 miles. Last run, it never came....I just felt like I was going to die, and all i wanted was for it to be over...the whole damn time!! It was 45 minutes of "i'd rather be home in bed." Everyone has days where they feel less than their best but don't let that stop you from getting out there again and giving your all to improve.

You can do it!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First of all, thank you all so much for the advice and encouragement. I don't know any runners IRL so hearing these perspectives make an enormous difference for me. :)

I am almost positive that trying a new week's run on so little sleep is what did me in. But I'm in pretty good shape otherwise and I'm curious to see if it'll still be as tough if I try it again tomorrow fully rested. I am NOT sore today like I thought I'd be.

Week 3 Day 1 was very challenging too and by Day 3 it was a lot easier. I'm going to listen to my body - if I still can't make it through the run tomorrow and Sunday, I'll do a Week 4 do-over or add on an extra day or two. But if by Sunday I'm doing okay with it, I'll move on to week 5. I'm leaning toward the second because there is such a huge jump in endurance for Week 5's Day 3, but - one day at a time :)
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I totally feel your pain because W4 D1 is the first time I've had to walk. I was fine for the first three jogs, but had to intersperse walking and jogging steps toward the end of that last one. It's getting quite hot here in FL, so that added to the challenge. I have a funky work schedule this week that will keep me from exercising Thurs., Fri., and probably Sat., so I'm going to do day 2 on Sunday, then restart week 4 the following Tuesday to get back on my normal Tues/Thurs/Sat schedule. I'll be rooting for you to get through it! Nothing wrong with a repeat if you need it, but I'll bet you're capable of much more than you'd think.
  • chabeli_00115
    Options
    Don't get sad!!!! Remember that your body reacts different everyday... sometimes you can run 20 min no problem... and sometimes you cant even run 3...

Running is 90% mental and 10% physical... So when you get really tiered and you are about to stop, think about what is it really making you stop? I am telling you... 99% of the time your body is perfectly fine to continue, and its the mind that's making you feel as if you cant go on.... once you realize that nothing hurts and you are not as out of breath as you thought you will keep running... Also, focus on controlling you breath.. that will get you there.

Remember, running is hard at the beginning... but once you can handle your first 20 min, you will not be able to stop! Push through pain, cause quitting hurts more! And when you start thinking that you can not do it... just stop thinking! Control your mind and just keep going! YOU CAN DO IT! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Everyone has bad runs. I completed C25k last year and have been trying to keep up with running since then. Not an expert but I do know that I've had days were I felt great and ran for 30+ minutes straight and then 2 days later I couldn't make it to 15 minutes without walking.

You deserve a do-over! Keep at it!
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I vote do over with W4D1. I started C25K yesterday. I have barely any stamina at all and I couldn't complete the very first day. I will just repeat it on my next day and complete it then I will continue on. If it actually takes you two weeks to finish week 4, there is nothing wrong with that. You are still doing more than a lot of others out there. Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged! And that's coming from someone who can't even complete the first day... yet!
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Nothing new to contribute here -- I'm with those who say repeat the one day. You can do it!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You had a crappy run. I had a crappy run on Tuesday as well. It was my first group run and I flamed out half way through a 7 mile run because it was hot and I'd locked my keys in the car and was stressing. I was incredibly slow all the way up to the point where I had to quit too - about four minutes a mile slower than my average.

This happens to all of us. There was even a moment when I considered never running again because I was embarrassed about looking stupid. (Like that's going to happen, LOL.)

Do 4.1 again even slower - you finished 3.3 so there's no reason to do that again, you can do it. Honestly, week 4 is a difficult week for most people (except for me. Week 3 kicked me in the rear so I was ok by week 4). You will learn a lot about pacing yourself and slowing down instead of walking when you start to get tired. This is important stuff. Really important stuff.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I vote do over with W4D1. I started C25K yesterday. I have barely any stamina at all and I couldn't complete the very first day. I will just repeat it on my next day and complete it then I will continue on. If it actually takes you two weeks to finish week 4, there is nothing wrong with that. You are still doing more than a lot of others out there. Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged! And that's coming from someone who can't even complete the first day... yet!

Slow down. You probably think you're really slow right now, but I have faith that you can run even slower.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I had problems with week 4 too. I now can run 3.5 miles without stopping. You will too.

Don't try again the very next day. Take your rest day. It's hard, because we get impatient. But take the rest THEN try again and it will go better for you.

Also...you think you are going slow enough, but I guarantee you can go even slower. Do that and you will make it. This is probably THE most important advice. had a really hard time grasping the slow down advice. I thought I was slow! But once I slowed down even more I made it.

Repeat a day as many times as you need to. But don't worry about perfecting it. Just as long as you finished it without stopping, move on.

Running is hugely mental...You can do it, but your brain is tricking you into thinking you can't. Trust yourself and believe in yourself. Visualize yourself being successful. Give yourself mental pep talks while you are running, don't let negative thoughts take hold.

You have so got this!!!
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't get sad!!!! Remember that your body reacts different everyday... sometimes you can run 20 min no problem... and sometimes you cant even run 3...

Running is 90% mental and 10% physical... So when you get really tiered and you are about to stop, think about what is it really making you stop? I am telling you... 99% of the time your body is perfectly fine to continue, and its the mind that's making you feel as if you cant go on.... once you realize that nothing hurts and you are not as out of breath as you thought you will keep running... Also, focus on controlling you breath.. that will get you there.

Remember, running is hard at the beginning... but once you can handle your first 20 min, you will not be able to stop! Push through pain, cause quitting hurts more! And when you start thinking that you can not do it... just stop thinking! Control your mind and just keep going! YOU CAN DO IT! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!

Totally agree :love: