Active Workout or Strenuous Workout??

Options
kel429
kel429 Posts: 5 Member
I was just having another look through the book and I originally chose strenuous workout (multiply by 1.8) but I just wanted to confirm that and make sure I shouldn't be using 1.6.

I am 5'3 and 134 pounds and I have calculated that on workout days, I should be eating 1727 calories and 2220 on lifting days. is that right? I just read another post that the difference in calories should be 250ish.

I'm trying maintenance for a month (even though it freaks me out a bit...sorry. I know everyone says that) and then I'll adjust from there.

Also, should I be eating my workout calories? I thought I was supposed to according to the book but I've also seen posts about not eating them.

So confused and I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks!

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I used active workout. I think he says in the book to use "Strenuous" only if you're on your feet working all day in addition to doing a NROL4W workout. As far as exercise cals, it's up to you. If you do cardio on your nonlifting days, and you don't eat some of those cals back, you're going to be in a deficit, which it sounds like you don't want. However, it will probably take you a month or so to figure out what your true maintenance is while doing this program. Many find the cals are too high and some of us find that they are actually too low. Really depends upon your body and lifestyle. Hope that helps!
  • kel429
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help!
  • zeppelinkd
    zeppelinkd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi - One more thing to add is that the book states that we should eat more calories on the days that we workout compared to the days that we do not workout. This is in the same section that the author talks about having a protein shake after each workout (which is supposed to account for the additional calories on workout days) and eating 5 meals a day. Hope that helps!
  • kel429
    Options
    Thank you! I've been eating extra on lifting days but I think I was eating more than I should have. I re-read that section and I definitely fall under "active workout" and upon recalculating, I am eating an extra 249 instead of 429. The protein shake definitely helps boost my calories. It's such a great book but a lot of info to get my head around. Hopefully I'm getting there slowly but surely! The posts on this forum have really helped, too! :smile:
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I just tried this and this is what I got:

Fat Loss (-300 calories/day) Calories
    No workout 1268.869091
    Active workout 1530.347273
    Strenuous work and workout 1791.825455

So I should only eat 1268 cals on days I don't work out and 1530 on days I do?? That seems so very low. I have mine set at 1763 now for everyday whether I work out or not. I used the TDEE calculator to get this number. I'm confused.