newbie!

rayray1851
rayray1851 Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to running (ran my first 5k in February and haven't run since...) and now I'm signed up for a half marathon at the end of September! I bought new shoes yesterday and ran 1.5 miles. I'm looking forward to learning more about running and trying to keep my motivation up!

Replies

• Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Sounds fun. Do you have a training plan in mind?
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Signed up for a Half Marathon. Wow! You are in for a treat. Sept gives you 15-18 weeks or so to train up for it. Are you following a plan for it?
  • rayray1851
    rayray1851 Posts: 14 Member
    I've been MIA for a few days.... I'm trying right now to just go out for a run regularly (about 4 times a week and 2 cross training days) and then start an actual plan at the 12 week mark. By then, I hope to be at 3 miles. Currently, I run about 1.5 miles and this weekend for my "long" run I'm doing 2. It sounds really shrimpy but I'm being consistent so far!

Thanks for the motivation :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    I have used the Hal Higdon half marathon training program for my last 2 and one coming up June 15th! Good Luck!
  • jscupp1016
    jscupp1016 Posts: 52 Member
    I used to think I couldn't run a 5k, I could barely do the mile! So I worked at it a bit and got to a mile, and then a mile and a half... and my friend convinced me to sign up for a 5k officially. So I did... then she said, cover the treadmill monitor up with a towel and just set the thing at 4.5 and run for an hour. So.... I did. And low and behold I could! So I knew I could easily do the three point one miles, I just ran four and a half! Then I worked on speed... going up on the treadmill, practicing outside... now I can run 5.5 in an hour and I've signed up for my first half in the fall like you! You can do it! Keep at it, keep positive, set little goals and never give up!