anyone have experience with overeaters anonymous?

Options
tequila09
tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
Hey guys! Im 23 and my binging got fairly out of control around 18/19ish. Growing up I would emotionally eat but I didnt truly binge until then. Anyway I always said to myself I would be better someday and Im not going to do this forever. I always had an excuse up until now it was the fact that I work a lot plus finishing my bachelors degree. Well I just graduated and I feel like im in the same boat but have no excuses left. Ive been trying to diet for over 2 years but now im heavier than I have ever been.

Ive always thought about going to overeaters anonymous but Im a little scared. Do any of you have experience with going to a meeting? I really just need help and I need to conquer this terrible mindset now before it gets even more out of hand. Im going to look into some of the books suggested in the sticky. Thanks.

Replies

• marigold85
    marigold85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went to one meeting in my area and everyone was very welcoming and very nice. They offered great literature and answered my questions. There was no pressure to talk and it was interesting listening to everyone's stories. I chose not to attend regular meetings, but am moving soon and plan to try out the meetings in my new location. I definitely recommend giving it a try. I can't say enough how friendly everyone was.

I also want to add that I started actually taking control of my eating and eventually losing weight when I was in your same situation. Once I finished grad school, something in me said it's now or never. I guess I'm letting you know that I was in that same place and ended up losing the weight I needed to and am much healthier and fitter now. Good luck!
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ive always thought about going to overeaters anonymous but Im a little scared. Do any of you have experience with going to a meeting?

I've been going to OA off and on for 5 years but only got -serious- about it fairly recently and MFP helped me get rolling.

The standard recommendation is to go to at LEAST 6 meetings, preferably at different locations, before deciding if it's for you or not. You can go to http://www.oa.org/meetings/ to get some information about meetings. That page also has a link to "Find A Meeting" that will help you locate local meetings wherever you are. If there aren't convenient local meetings, there are also telephone and on-line meetings pretty much around the clock every day. The reason for trying different meetings is because different meetings will have different "flavors" to them and while one meeting might not click for you, another one might.

I can't recommend OA enough to people with annorexia, bullimia, or compulsive over-eating (like BED).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I'll be only too happy to try to help you out.