stupid smith machine question

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
Monday morning, I had a lot of things to do and couldn't go to my normal gym for my workout. Instead I had to use the equipment at work which is laughable at best. It was bench press day, and the ONLY thing available was a damned Smith machine...

Last week when I was at the gym, I did 2 sets of 5 reps with 95 pounds and a final set of 6 reps with 95 pounds. I intended to increase the weight this week since I keep my compound lifts at 5 reps.

This week, I used that Smith machine...which was kinda uncomfortable trying to figure out how to situate myself to get somewhere near my normal range of motion, but I digress...and loaded it with 100 pounds and was able to do 8-10 reps on all the 3 sets.

So my question is this:

Next Monday when it is time to do more bench presses, and I am at my gym and using a real bench and bar instead of that silly machine, should I drop back to 95 pounds or use 100 pounds? I ask this because I know that without that dumb machine, I wouldn't have done as many reps with the more weight because there's no need to fire up assisting/stabilizing muscles, or even core muscles. So, I don't know if I should be happy that my new 1RM was calculated to be 120ish or if I should not even bother recording it since it wasn't actually the exact same exercise (if you know what I mean).

Your thoughts?

---And just because I was annoyed with a smith machine being in my workplace's gym, I did increase my dumbbell bench press and chest fly weight to compensate. I do those exercises (as well as push-ups) after the bench. And since I increased weight on those exercises, I am confused as to whether the gains on bench were real or whether or not I just wasn't tired from the smith crap.

---Sorry for the silly question. I just don't want to look like an *kitten* on next Monday at my gym if I load up 100 pounds and can't actually push it and need a meat head to help me get it off my chest, lol. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would treat your bench press progression as if the smith machine workout never occurred.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    That was pretty much what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking as this looks to have been resolved Let one of us know if you want to add anything and we can unlock. Please include a link to the thread in the PM.
This discussion has been closed.