Vegan Diet?

Options
My endo has suggested I try a vegan, no white flour/white sugar diet. I do have PCOS as well, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it and succeeded? Basically a plant-based diet with very little processed foods.

Replies

• go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can get with no white flour and no sugar. It's surely made a difference in my post-thyroid life. But if you like meat and seafood why give it up? I got sent to see a cardiologist last year and got the all clear, but still got a lecture on how going "nearly" vegan would be best for me. I just don't buy it. Did your endo say why vegan would be better? I would try going gluten free first, or maybe doing a Whole 30 and seeing how you feel after that.
  • lokisadie
    lokisadie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are hypo, I would question his suggestion. Soy is a major way vegans get their protein, and us hypos should steer clear of soy. I believe a lot of people have success with gluten free and/or the paleo diet.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you are hypo, I would question his suggestion. Soy is a major way vegans get their protein, and us hypos should steer clear of soy. I believe a lot of people have success with gluten free and/or the paleo diet.

I specifically asked about soy, and he said that if you're thyroid is already on the fritz (I'm 100% supplemented) that if soy was changing my numbers he would adjust my medication accordingly, but not to worry about it because it's not as harmful as caseen (sp?) that's in animal protein.

I'm going to do this as an experiment for weight loss purposes for 30 days. I'll update this thread to let you know how it goes. I think the no sugar/no white flour/ no dairy should make a difference if for nothing more than the fact that I'll be eating a TON more vegetables than I was before starting this......
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Yeah--I know several hypothyroid women who have had great success going Paleo. I find it is a bit restrictive for me--I personally like Primal a bit better. My hypothyroidism seems to have improved.