Days Off From Working Out

Options
jjscholar
jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
I have to admit that one of the things I need to improve upon with my exercise plan is to not feel guilty on days that I take off from exercising. I have to admit that is a weakness of mine...

Replies

• PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi J....a lot of people seem to feel like you when taking days off from working out. The body needs "rest" especially if you are pushing very hard sessions. Muscles need time to breakdown and repair for more strength especially. It's also a way to avoid "exercise burnout" by scheduling a "rest day" or two per week. What is your typical workout week? Maybe you could do something light like walking (not a power walk) on your less strenuous day(s)?

For the past 3 years, I've consistently scheduled 1-2 days of absolutely no formal fitness sessions per week. At least two times per year, I schedule a "rest" week that boils down to NO strength training but light cardio. As a matter of fact, it will be time for such a week in June. I will schedule it between the end of a CLX Burn Phase and before the beginning of CLX Push Phase. No guilt to be felt. :wink:

I hope that you find a way to "overcome" that feeling of guilt with regards to "rest" day(s).:smile:
    I am going to send you a friend request, too.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, the body definitely needs rest & repair time, but I know what you mean. I don't think I feel "guilty", but I feel incredibly uncomfortable/antsy/anxious on days I am well but do not work out, after spending time building the habit of working out. It's that feeling you get of trying to get into a car without putting on your seatbelt, or leaving a room without turning off the light, or anything like that which is a habit and causes discomfort when you don't do it ritualistically. But it's good to be active on rest days and perhaps get a little extra sleep to help repair your muscles. I like to sleep late or take a nap at least one day on the weekend, when my husband will deal with the kids and let me get my sleep.

I haven't really thought about a "rest week", Pam. I'm glad you brought that up. I will have to think about that. My husband and son are going to an island for August and my lil girl & I should go too, but I'm leaning towards staying home instead. Either way, it'll be HOT in Greece and the perfect time to schedule a rest week. :)
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yes, the body definitely needs rest & repair time, but I know what you mean. I don't think I feel "guilty", but I feel incredibly uncomfortable/antsy/anxious on days I am well but do not work out, after spending time building the habit of working out. It's that feeling you get of trying to get into a car without putting on your seatbelt, or leaving a room without turning off the light, or anything like that which is a habit and causes discomfort when you don't do it ritualistically. But it's good to be active on rest days and perhaps get a little extra sleep to help repair your muscles. I like to sleep late or take a nap at least one day on the weekend, when my husband will deal with the kids and let me get my sleep.

I haven't really thought about a "rest week", Pam. I'm glad you brought that up. I will have to think about that. My husband and son are going to an island for August and my lil girl & I should go too, but I'm leaning towards staying home instead. Either way, it'll be HOT in Greece and the perfect time to schedule a rest week. :)

Sherry, I read about taking a "rest week" every so often on some fitness site last year. I may have taken my first "rest week" back in fall 2013 and felt refreshed and RARING to go back with my usual routines...lol. You should give it a try. An "every six month" time-frame seems to work for me.