Bridging from treadmill to outdoors

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
I'm still in the process (sigh) of bridging from the treadmill to the outdoors. However, I have now gotten the hang of it!!!! Yay!
I've been doing a combination of hill training, easy flat routes, trails, etc. I can now jog 5K outdoors with very few walking breaks. The distance I cover in the walking breaks are over and above the 5K that I jog. It won't be long now before I can do the entire 5K without walking.
The secret??....slow down. I've been giving this advice to others and thought I was taking it myself but without my realizing it, I've been speeding up and not being able to maintain the speed or a jog for the distance. Taking it slow is working wonders!

I may be slow at catching on to this but I'm loving it and I'm determined to make it happen.

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Great advice, you'll soon be running those 5ks no problem.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm very pleased with my progress this week. I had stalled for weeks now and became quite discouraged (but kept trying).
    Yesterday, I ran 2 19-minute sessions and 2 12-minute session with 3 2-minute walking sessions in between. My Garmin is set at 2-minute/5-minute intervals (I need to change that), so my run/walk sessions are multiples of this.
    My run times totalled up are enough for running more than 5K, so I'm there. I've just got to do it all without stopping to walk. I can do this. It's all mental now.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    So true, you know you can do it, you just need to tell your body this! When you feel you need to stop just run another minute and reassess, you might find your feeling a bit better.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Yesterday, I ran 2 19-minute sessions and 2 12-minute session with 3 2-minute walking sessions in between. .... I've just got to do it all without stopping to walk. I can do this. It's all mental now.

Yes! You can TOTALLY do this! That's a LOT of running!

I really slow down outside...maybe at least 1/2 mph. The treadmill keeps your legs going. All my sprints are done on the treadmill. All I have to do is keep moving my legs. Outside, there's more to it than that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

The secret??....slow down. I've been giving this advice to others and thought I was taking it myself but without my realizing it, I've been speeding up and not being able to maintain the speed or a jog for the distance. Taking it slow is working wonders!

I have had to remind myself of this regularly. It's the secret of distance running.