Weight Loss and Indegestion

Options
tekwriter
tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
I have a question about weight loss. I lost quite a bit of weight the first week. This second week the scale has only gone up and down with no loss. I have been ill for the last week and just began antibiotic. I am wondering if this can affect my loss? I have stayed on my plan and have generally not been hungry or craving. Last night we ate chinese, I picked out my vegetables and shrimp and had them cooked on hibachi grill and had a piece of melon. I have awful indegestion now, first time in ages, and was also craving sugar last night. I am wondering if this all due to the antibiotic or could something have been in the food I wasn't aware of. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Weight loss the first few weeks is mostly water loss, since eating healthy also usually means lowering sodium intake. The amount of salt you consume can affect your water retention from day to day, thus weight fluctuations. This is why most people recommend weighing yourself once a week or less - you're more likely to get a real reading.

Since you mention chinese food, I'd say retention is a factor. Chinese food is notorious for the amount of sodium it uses: not only in the cooking, but added soy sauce and MSG (monosodium glutamate) .

Re: melon. Yeah, eating sugars and grains will trigger an insulin response, which in turn will trigger a desire for more sugar. Thats why we avoid the stuff and stick with healthy plants and animals. :)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I ate a little melon in the beginning but have been tending to stay away from fruits for the most part. I do have a handful of dried fruit (more than a hand last night) as it is like dessert. Today is good, no weird cravings and no indigestion. Must have been the chinese. I will obviously need to be more careful.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics can cause all sorts of gastro issues including heartburn.
    Hope it goes away soon,indigestion sucks!