Max muscle strength?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You just posted another thread about being really hungry. OHP is the most sensitive of all the lifts to this. It may start to go up once you are more fed. Also, be sure to get micro plates (you can do a DIY version or just order some on amazon). Adding a pound or two to your press and keeping the volume the same is better than simply increasing your reps. The latter will work, but the former will work better.

I wondered that as well, as soon as I posted.
    I have 1#, 1.25#, and 2.5 pound weights. I often just increase 1-3 pounds, sometimes every-other session.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Jim Wendler says when you get stuck, go back. Recalculate and start back and work up again. By the time you get there again, you should be able to surpass it. Of course, every body has a limit or people would be lifting elephants and city blocks and crazy things like that. Don't know. I'm stuck with bench press right now, so I'm stepping back and working back up. I'll let you know.

yep, normally 10% deload however SOHP is just a tough nut to crack. Most people will be starting to fail fairly often at around 2/3 BW. And doing the same thing over and over again and failing can be very disheartening (especially to beginners) which is why I also mentioned switching up those rep ranges :smile:

I get up close to 50# (45-55), stall, deload down to 40#, build back up to about the same, stall, deload today I will be repeating the 40# as a max-p (taking a light day due to weekend migraine... )
    Hopefully this time, the third time, I will be able make some real,progress on ,y way back UP
    By switching up rep, you mean doing 3x5 instead of 5x5?

And "2/3 BW" I assume is 2/3 of my Body Weight. I stall at 1/3. Maybe my goal should be to get to 2/3 of my BW

I was referring to a 1rm not a 5rm though :smile: And it will be different for everybody but that is an approximate that I've seen with people that train with me. Sorry, I was referring to males mainly (for some reason?). Girls I have training with me all seem to have trouble around 50-60lbs for 8 reps no matter what they weigh.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking in order to keep track of active threads. Feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this thread, if you wish to add any comments or questions, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.