Breaking a fast

Options
I am curious to hear from those of you who do longer fasts,what do your break your fast with?
I just finished my first intentional fast(made it 23 hours)and I broke it and felt sick afterwards.
What works best with you?

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    While I don't intentionally do long-term fasting (I may skip a meal, or as the trendy crowd calls it, intermittent fasting), I would imagine if I did, I'd break fast with something that wouldn't boost insulin levels much. So that would mean nothing carby or sugary. I'd use food that was protein with a good fat component (fat providing you with an energy boost). So I guess my go-to would be either some eggs cooked in butter, or a nice piece of cheese - if you eat dairy.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do 18-hour fasts everyday. Which is to say that I have a 6-hour eating window, which is usually ~11:30am to ~5:30pm. Some days, the first meal I eat is a salad, some days it's an omelet, others, it's steak and/or bacon and eggs. I never feel sick after but that could be because I do it all the time and am used to it.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    I have been doing intermittent fasting for 5 days. I eat my first meal around noon and then my second around 4. I haven't been feeling sick from it and I eat like a pig for my first meal, I am usually pretty hungry by the time its done cooking. Sometimes I feel kinda heavy after eating so much, especially since I eat a ton of bacon but besides that I haven't had any issues. I usually eat 8-10 pieces of bacon, 3-4 eggs, 1/4 avocado and some steamed broccoli.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    After a 23-24 hour fast, I usually eat protein and something green. I've never felt sick from it though.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the comments,I am starting to think that maybe I was fighting off a bug as I have fasted many times before just not a long fast..usually 16/8 or 14/10.