I don't want to...

Options
log another day like yesterday. "If everyday were like to day you would weigh, 5 pounds more than I do right now, in 5 weeks...."

How do I let myself fall victim to alcohol so easily over and over again? I am an enabler. And if my husband wants to drink I will drink to. And subsequently I will have way too much and eat way to much. I have to stop this cycle. For myself and for my children.
This is not who I am meant to be....almost 38 and 86 pounds overweight...and I can't seem to get my drinking under control.

I could really use some support...may have to start going to AA, idk...

I know that I can be strong enough. I have done it before. I will have to do it again.

Today is a new day. I will focus on it and not on the past that only makes me feel weak and unable.

Here is to trudging on. drink free.

Replies

• szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I struggle with the drinking with the man thing too. When you drink with him, do you feel you have to drink to "fit in" or do you want to get drunk with him? I used to think those were the same for me, but now I've found that I don't really need to get drunk all the time. Now I'll have a wine spritzer (wine mixed with seltzer or diet sprite), or a few "smaller" drinks (only 1 shot of vodka instead of 3, yes, we are hardcore drinkers!). Using diet tonic water or crystal light for mixers helps too. As far as beer, there's a site called get drunk not fat that can help you get the most bang for your buck. Also gives you ideas for different wine and liquor to maximize the buzz.
    I've seen other people talk about pre-making food and snacks before they start drinking so that you have more control over what you're eating once the booze starts talking. I know drunken me goes for "easy" food ("I'm not cooking anything, hey dominos delivers!"), but if something was ready for me already, that would work too!
    All that being said, I've managed to lose just under 2 pounds a week, and I still have at least 1 drink a night. (And have still had a few good drunks in there too!). Just gotta work it into my daily plan. Everything in moderation, right?
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a wine drinker, and I often find I just want to quaff something. There are a few of these low alcohol wines around- had a bottle of that last weekend and it was fine, drank it at the same rate, too.
  • Laramae09
    Laramae09 Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips! :)
  • ActTwoScene1
    Options
    There are some good tips here about how to "moderate" drinking.

However, I just want to share that earlier this year I gave up alcohol for 30 days -- it felt great!!! I felt amazing (and lost 8 lbs while still pigging out). So I was able to say "hey, I guess I don't have a problem...so, Cheers!" It has taken several months, but I am back to drinking way too much. I think moderation is not possible for some people. Or we just serially go on and off the wagon. It's not a good lifestyle either way.
  • patmegkaren
    patmegkaren Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I joined this group awhile back and am ashamed to say, I don't think a day has gone by where I haven't indulged. It's summer, there's a party, etc., the excuses are endless and I have a boyfriend who enables me because he drinks so then I drink and it's all downhill from there. I'm working hard in every other area and it seems this is totally derailing my progress. So, I vow from this day forward at least Sunday through Thursday no drinks, period. I realize I can't just have one and therefore, I am not even going to tempt myself. As for weekends, well, I can slack a little but hopefully won't make up for the rest of the week. Just really need to get this in check for myself and my family. I don't want my kids growing up thinking it's cool to drink and I really think this gut is a beer gut. So, I am with you. Today, I am going home and riding my bike instead of cracking a beer and we'll see what happens. Good luck in your mission.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Google Rational Recovery if anyone wants to quit for good. No meetings, no steps and it works. You just need to read the website and the book.
  • Suerhv
    Suerhv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Day 2 no alcohol here :) ... I know what you mean about eating and drinking together... Tonight we had some snacks, but a healthier version (skinny sticks) and shared a bag and I had tea which was also relaxing... I forget about that when I am in drinking wine mode... I am trying to examine why I am drinking...enjoying the release at the end of a day... and find other ways to do that...I actually exercised tonight for 30 min, drank lots of water, and then had tea with my t.v. instead of wine... maybe try to find some other habits... I am feeling good about it and am just as relaxed as I am the other nights...

Also, my husband knows I am trying to cut back, so I think he's not going to surprise me with buying some during the week when he knows I'm stressed now... whereas he did before...enlist support as much as you can...
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No Alcohol since October 13, 2012.

Yesterday was our 25th anniversary - a prime day to celebrate with food and wine/bubbly. And I chilled a bottle of Prosecco for our dinner with our daughters. They enjoyed the bubbly and food (I made chicken piccata, a green salad, and crusty bread to mop up the sauce). I enjoyed making it, opening it, serving it, but not drinking it. We have one of those soda-machines (a CO2 injector) and I make my own fizzy water. It was wonderful in a wine glass with a lemon twist. I did not drink nor did I want to.

Everyone is different, yet we experience similar hurdles. I got over my hurdles by substituting my drink with fizzy water, and by reminding myself how my children did not like to be around me when I had been drinking the night before or the week before let alone during. Alcohol interfered with my bipolar II meds and I decided to choose health over "pleasure." Now I find more pleasure in getting healthy. I can still buy wine and beer, I can still serve it and cook with it. But I do not drink it.

Keep questioning and contamplating your situation. Talk to your loved ones or friends as I spoke to my children ("Do you notice a difference since I quit 2 months ago?" "Yes, Daddy . You are more stable and pleasant."). You will get to where you need to be if you listen to your family/friends and your body.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No Alcohol since October 13, 2012.

Yesterday was our 25th anniversary - a prime day to celebrate with food and wine/bubbly. And I chilled a bottle of Prosecco for our dinner with our daughters. They enjoyed the bubbly and food (I made chicken piccata, a green salad, and crusty bread to mop up the sauce). I enjoyed making it, opening it, serving it, but not drinking it. We have one of those soda-machines (a CO2 injector) and I make my own fizzy water. It was wonderful in a wine glass with a lemon twist. I did not drink nor did I want to.

Everyone is different, yet we experience similar hurdles. I got over my hurdles by substituting my drink with fizzy water, and by reminding myself how my children did not like to be around me when I had been drinking the night before or the week before let alone during. Alcohol interfered with my bipolar II meds and I decided to choose health over "pleasure." Now I find more pleasure in getting healthy. I can still buy wine and beer, I can still serve it and cook with it. But I do not drink it.

Keep questioning and contamplating your situation. Talk to your loved ones or friends as I spoke to my children ("Do you notice a difference since I quit 2 months ago?" "Yes, Daddy . You are more stable and pleasant."). You will get to where you need to be if you listen to your family/friends and your body.

I make my own sparkling water just like you. Great way to get in lots of water for me because I really enjoy it way more than just plain tap water so great for the diet! I still buy and serve alcohol too and cook with it. Good on you for doing what you know is right for you and your family!
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    To No Alcohol since 10/13/12

Wow, I see my story in yours. I am also bipolar II, and alcohol does interfere with the meds.

Thanks for bravely posting your story. I needed to hear it.
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Dear Mockchoc and Cynclan,

I just got more support and positive energy from you two than I do from my family. I think they are just too close to me and don't see the incremental changes. But with MFP, all I have to do is tell my story (truthfully) and SOMEONE will go "Right ON!" And I am so grateful for that.

Happy Mardi Gras, folks. I'm gonna down designer water double-fisted like there's no tomorrow!

Maybe I'll give up drinking for Lent.....

Maybe I'll give up Lent!
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    Glad to hear it worked. I actually drove past a bunch of liquor stores yesterday and did not stop and buy a thing. Today the craving is less. Amazing. I think you're right--giving up drinking for Lent. First step for giving it up for a lifetime!