7-28-2012 Menopausal Mad Hatters Weekend Chatter

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
The weekend is here..... yay!

Looks like lots of our Hatters are enjoying some down time with family and friends; wishing all of you an awesome weekend!

I'm rather conflicted with this weekend LOL.. since I've been off all week with my eye, I'm getting a little restless and bored... and boredom for me... is one of my emotional triggers with food, so I'm going to make breakfast and then force myself to take care of some chores around here to keep me busy, and to keep me out of the danger zone (kitchen LOL). Might be back looking for someone to talk me off the ledge later tho... :noway:

Replies

• bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ohh Snooozie, hope you do ok today. Keep the mind busy, it will help. This is the big race weekend. My road is now closed. Latest count I just heard from the officer out front is 11,000 today. I am both excited and nervous for tomorrow. I do not like crowds & the last figure I had heard was over 6,000 for tomorrows run and think it is probably a couple thousand more by now. This is huge and I live in a small New England town. Oh what did I get myself into with this!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hey, Snooozie Pooh.....glad to see I'm not the only one up at this time of day. I was dreaming I couldn't find the alarm, I was in the middle of a classroom, surrounded by workmates,who were trying to help me find the alarm,while I was in bed....fully clothed this time...LOL... We did find it though....Or else I would still be sleeping.
    Sounds like a plan with the staying busy to keep from eating dangerously....I also have that problem...I believe we have so much of the same issues, that I know we must be sister-kin!

I have been slacking on logging food, but I am cutting back on amounts, or swapping chips...I am a Chip-aholic..You too? .I have seen you make reference to them a few times. I never met a potato I didn't like...HaHa
    We went to Sonic for our Friday night date night. I only ate a portion of my usual big order...so something is working!!! Yeah!!!
    I know everyone will have a fabulous weekend...Hope so anyway.WEll......

It's a bit slow here right noew at work , so I'm off to get those stairs done.
    Later,
    G
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Hi, Bisland.....Great luck on the big race....You got this!!
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh Snoozie, I understand the boredom eating so much. It happens to me as well. It does help it you can create something to do. I have so much going on today it won't be much of an issue but I will be here for you to say "Step away from the fridge and back up slowly"..lol.

I feel so much better today. I have a plan of action. Dusting off the resume and putting it out there. Home Depot just built a big call center here in town and I am going to apply. Before my current job, I was a customer service manager for a flooring company. We had 350 retail stores across the country and I managed 30 employees so I may have a shot. It is scary being older and not having a college degree. It seems that piece of paper is all that matters. I have been working since I was 18 and the first job I had I was there for 14 years. I have been in my current one for almost 8 years and am afraid that the time away from CS might do me in. All I can do is give it a shot and see what happens.

Have a great day and resist the urge to open that fridge!
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    Bis- knock'em dead, you can do this! Good luck
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    T2- Should we call you the "stair master"? Great job on those flights! Hope it stays uneventful for you today at work!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Not really, T...If you notice that's about all I do...It's quicker and I'm not out in the public view......But when I lose this extra 100 lbs..........I'll be all over the place!! I might even walk up to Canada to see Snooozie and then drop down to Ga to see you at Home
    Depot.....with a complaint! ; ) LOL.

You will ace the new job !! I feel it's your destiny!

G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Bis!! SO excited for your challenge tomorrow!! You are gonna do AWESOME.. sent a message but will reiterate here.. don’t worry about the number of people; I know you aren’t comfortable with crowds but pick a spot on the outside edge maybe? Just focus on YOU.. and how incredible you are !! Picture yourself crossing the finish line and how proud you are gonna be of yourself… wish we could be on the sidelines cheering you on, but know that we WILL be cheering you on from all our corners of the world!! You’ll be the only one with their own private cheering section!! I cant WAIT til tomorrow!! :bigsmile:

T2: Lays ripple potato chips are like a drug for me. Seriously… I’m like a crack addict with them so I just cannot have them in the house. End of story. They are my kryptonite; so until this weight is gone once and for all, they are probably the only thing I will not allow myself to have even occasionally. They have also been my #1 “go to” food for emotional eating as well, so while I am not restricting ANY real food while I am working on my weight loss, I have decided I just have to stay away from them complately for now. I hope one day, when eating well has become the habit I want it to be, I can have a few chips like a normal person LOL.. but im not looking that far ahead yet.. for now.. they are just off my radar.

Is the logging food part a time issue? I know once I’m back to work that’s going to be a big challenge for me, staying with the logging because sometimes it just takes SO long; I know as I build my own database it will be less time, but I do find seeing the REAL calories of what Im eating helps a lot.. I tend to underestimate (go figure LOL) how much it really is so when I see it in writing.. it’s a good “oh crap” brake. I like roaming through other peoples diaries too, to get ideas for meals and amounts. So I was just wondering if it was a time thing for you too, or isumpin else? (I have debated with myself a few time about adding something I’ve eaten still LOL.. it’s like.. hell I don’t want people to see I ate 3 cookies LOL.. so I’m always interested in what other people feel about the logging aspect?

HUGE IPOU T2 !!! :heart: look at you cutting back on the amounts you're used to having..…. Small changes!! I was talking to my sister last night; a few months ago we went for a sub sandwich and I suggested she try my method of only eating ½ to start, and keeping the other half in the fridge .. if she wanted the other half then, go for it.. but if not.. maybe eat it for dinner with a salad or something.. (she has been working on portion control along with me…) anyway I kinda forgot about it til she said to me yesterday.. remember the sub day?? I can’t believe I used to eat an ENTIRE sub at one go… since that day I’ve only eaten ½ at a time… I know the rest is there if I get hungry in an hour or 2, or 3.. and looking back now I just can’t believe I would wolf down the whole thing… “ Small changes add up to big ones!!! So well done T2!! You ROCK!! LOL @ the stair master.. shouldn’t it be stair mistress tho??? :wink:

Tonya: lol… ty for the step away!! I’ll picture you on the fridge door saying BACK AWAY SNOOZIE.. BACK AWAY!! Im so glad you’re feeling better, and if you’ve decided you have to look elsewhere, as long as it’s what you want to do, go for it. I totally get the “scary” aspect tho.. Ive always worked two jobs, my full time (where I’ve been for 28 yrs lol) and a part time on the side… (until January of this year.. decided to take a one year break and just work my full time one lol.. ) but it seems these days there is a lot of ageism going on.. everyone wants college degrees and discounts life experience.. which I totally DON’T understand.. if I was an employer and had to choose between a snotty 20 something college grad with no experience, and someone who’s worked their entire life and has years of skills and experience… ?? Well… sorry to the young uns but I’ll take the older one who’s going to be a bigger asset to my company !! Will keep paws crossed where you apply, they have smart bosses who recognize the value of experience!!! :smile:

I had a BIG breakfast today; yummy one egg omellette with peppers and onions and some fruit.. good choices so Im happy but figured it would help me feel full and keep my paws outta the feedbag lol.!
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I'm sitting here in beautiful Vermont, waiting for my family to wake up! We pulled in to the resort last night at about 1:30 a.m., so everyone is exhausted. The good news is, after the 9 1/2 hour car ride my kids are all still alive ;).

Bis: Good luck, can't wait to hear all about it...you go girl!!

Snooozie: Hang in there baby, don't you dare start boredom eating, it's only Saturday morning...you have the whole weekend to make it through!! You've done such a great job staying focused during this really challenging time I know you've got this :)

Tonya: good luck with Home Depot, they'd be idiots not to hire you! If it makes you feel any better, I do have a college degree, and when I was looking to go back to work after the kids were in school full time, I couldn't find a job either (which is why I'm working for my husband, doing a job I'm incredibly over-qualified for ;) ). I think it's our age, which I find INSANE because we make BETTER employees!! No sick kids, no pregnancies, glad to be out of the house and productive...people are idiots. As far as being out of the CS business, I don't think those skills get rusty. If you were good (which I'm sure you were!), you're still good...and I would imagine that people who "get" customer service are truly in demand. So go get 'em girl! As an aside, my 80 year old mother calls it Home Deh-poh, which I find incredibly funny for some reason, lol.

T2: Lol, I'm right there with you on the chips! BTW I got a new-fangled chip cooker that I use in the microwave, no oil required, so it's just potatoes and it cost 5 bucks!! I made chex mix for the car ride up here...dangerous for me!!

Well, my husband just rolled out of bed, and you know how he fills about my MFP addiction! Here's hoping we all have uber-successful days :)

-Melissa
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL @ T2! Great idea!! We should start planning to all meet somewhere for a weekend one year from when we started this group!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Melissa: so glad you landed safe and sound.. and that the children are still alive and well LOL!! Hope you guys have an awesome vacation; and by chance.. is your mother Canadian?? Cause that’s what we call it here too hahahaha..

And all you hatters are so right… really… reading your posts about staying on track.. made me realize.. I’m worrying about whether I am going to be tempted at some point today?? How stupid is that?? Really lol.. when I think about it.. nothing like setting myself up to MAKE A BAD CHOICE .. by starting my day focused on what I MIGHT eat.. when I m not even craving anything… ?? Wow… kinda scary realizing just how set my thought patterns are …I’m already worrying now about what I MIGHT eat later?? Gak!! Light bulb moment.. Ok… I’m done with THAT thinking!!

Off to actually do some work, and perhaps venture out for my walk … don’t see the trees blowing today so I might try outside as it’s a little cloudy… but may end up walking down the building again.. either way I’ll be happy if I just get my daily MOVE in!

Thank you all for helping me change my thinking today!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    MeRobi. ........ I think I saw something like it on QVC...( another addiction..another story). I wondered if it would work. I had already gone over my limit of buying things from there or I would have called...I mean if I can get something in "5 easy payments" why not? Don't you agree? ; ) LOL Oh and the homemade Chex Mix...don't get me started on how much I love that stuff....

Snooze...
    The OREO's are a bit like Crack for me. Then I have to have some Ruffles after that ,to tame down all the sweet. But since I stopped with the extra sweets, I don't have the sweet and salty cravings and the "tilt the fridge back with mouth open" kinda thing , anymore..... I believe the sweets are my trigger food.
    I like the half now, eat other half later ,if needed. sounds like it would digest much faster also, and burn off quicker.

T...I can take the tequila with a little lime, chase it with coke ,anytime, anyplace...

Yes, Excellent Idea , Snooze..., On a real meeting sometime.
    MeRoBi...have a safe and wonderful time on Vaca. Hydrate!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I think I'm missing a girl gene in my DNA.. I may be the only female who hates shopping of any kind LOL.. so I can't help with that particular addiction, T2! (and yes.. I know i risk being drummed out of the female world for admitting that.. but here.. I can always reveal the truth without fear.. so don't abandon meeeeeeee pls ladies!)

Someone explain to me pls.. if you put 6 pairs of socks in the dryer.. why there is ALWAYS one missing at the end?? argggh! I have about 10 singles now.. and of course.. none of them match any other sock.. which is technically impossible as I usually buy the same kind... :explode:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yeah for the weekend.

Boooooooooo for the wanting to eat for no good reason !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah for resisting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well pretty sure I am feeling the anxiety and pressures of my final days of summer break. I have made good progress and I am scared what the new school year will mean to me and this journey. I know all the right things to do, but lets face it many of us seem to through the best of intentions out the windows when we get short of time. I have purchased sets for carrying my lunch but I know last year often left me without the time to eat. I guess its a step in the right direction that its still four weeks away and I am already thinking about my plan of action, but I really am nervous. It may have not helped that I had two cups of coffee this morning !!! Since I have basically eliminated caffeine from my diet (years ago) except for the occasional cup of coffee caffeine zooms me to the moon when I do indulge and makes me all jittery. :drinker:

Snoozie if you run out of cleaning spots I suggest leaving the house hmmm maybe come this way. I am sure I could find something for you to clean:laugh:

Bis, I so relate to the lack of being thrilled with crowds, they just aren't my cup of tea and seems like I like them less and less as I age. The very biggest of good luck wishes being sent your way !!!

Time2 LOL love the dream. POU for making good choices at Sonic but I am challenging you to log. I think it's important for being able to look back and SEE your good choices during times of weakness.

Tonya so good to hear you have feeling better. Doesn't it just stink that others have the power to influence our feelings and moods when they aren't positive contributors :angry: Will be praying that God move you where you can be best used or removes the thorn in your side so that you can focus and be the best you can be. Stay strong. I so relate to the scary feelings even with a BA+. This is my third year teaching but my first summer knowing where I would be. The first year I was hired 3 days before school started and last year I was hired a month after school started. So securing a position early in the summer this year was my first goal of the summer and was wonderful to achieve. It allowed me to enjoy the break without worrying. Just remember that any door God opens no man can close. Keep us up to date.

Meliisa so good to see you this morning and not having to send bail money for killing children on the ride up !!! When we moved from WA state to Louisiana I warned the husband that many breaks and stopping early so the girls could enjoy the motel pools would be a must if we all wanted to arrive alive :bigsmile: so I complete understand. I have seen the chip maker and wondered how it rates. So do tell us more.

Here is to everyone having a fab weekend and making the best choices they can. I need to find something to do that doesn't involve eating or thinking about food and I just really don't feel the motivation for exercise :huh: We shall see
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hiya TA!

Ummm.. i'll keep your place in mind .... but since I haven't actually GOTTEN to my chores yet... umm...I might not make it to yours LOL.

i was glad to read your post about being scared.. I have a couple of fears too (some I'm not ready to share yet.. ) but the one about going back to work and staying on track.. and exactly as you said.. I always PLAN great... have all the little tubs and I bought a jethro bodine sized lunch bag last year at walmart .. it's actually a cooler but taking good food seems to take up a lot more room for tubs and things than carting crap in... and i am able to put freezer packs all inside so i dont have to put my stuff in the fridge.. i can keep it beside my desk. My work doesnt allow for "scheduled" lunchs or breaks.. you take em when you can grab them so I've found that having "fork free" foods availalbe (veg and dip, cut up fruit, nuts, anything that doesnt require a fork and plate to eat) help keep me on track, especially if i dont have time to chow down on the salad i brot (left a trail of dressing on paperwork on my desk a few times too!) but sometimes when I get home the thought of having to make dinner AND make a lunch for the next day is just such a big hurdle. Iknow I'm going to have to really work hard at carrying thru .. i've aced the plans.. lol its the carrying thru i know will be a challenge.. So we'll encourage each other k???

And I've decided to treat myself today.. as its the weekend... I'm going to chill on the couch for an hour with a book (my favourite past time!) Its been really hard with my eyesight the past while and especially now with the surgery lol.. but i bot a kobo (electronic reader) at christmas and i can make the print super sized... so I'm going to have a coffee and curl up to satisfy my need for doing something treat-y today!! Beats the heck out of hitting the fridge so hope you find a lovely non food treat to indulge in today too!! (LOL @ your comment to Melissa on arriving with all children still with a pulse!!)
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good Sat afternoon everyone!! I was going to say good morning but it is already 1:30pm here.
    BIS, run girl run. Don't let the crowds get to you, I think once the race gets started the individual runners get in their individual little grooves and just naturally spread out. I've seen mobs of people starting out, but never mobs of people finishing at once!
    Melissa, Vermont sounds wonderful and cool, enjoy vacation. I don't do well on long distance drives, and when my H gets on a roll he doesn't want to take bathroom breaks, so when he tells me to "hold it for a couple more exits" I tell him if he doesn't stop I just know I will get a blood clot and die. Dramatic but he knows I am serious!
    Tonya, I am glad to hear Home Depot's call center is in the US, good luck and hopefully they will realize the experience will be worth more to them than the degree.
    Time2-Stop in Maryland on your way from Canada to Georgia.
    Snooze, when is one year from the start of this group and where should our slimmed down gorgeous selves meet?
    TA I think you are right, staying healthy in a school setting or any setting like Snooze where you don't have regular time or a place to eat is extra difficult-planning will be the key and both of you are already in that mode. Another tidbit from another program
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. There is no easier time to overeat and make poor choices than when I get home late and I haven't planned anything for dinner and I am wiped out from the drive home.
    When I started MFP I was tracking food then I thought I didn't need to. When I was not tracking it was so easy to slip extra snacks in and not think they were any big deal, but they add up. One feature that helps me is when I hit the done for the day button. When a right before bedtime snack calls my name it is easier to say to myself you are finished your food for the day.
    MFP has a recipe function, but I have not put much in there. When I am watching olympic tennis I think I will get some of those in there. Especially since I go to a restaurant and get a Cobb Salad with grilled chicken and no bacon or dressing an average of 2 x per week.
    I am a little achy from my back to Body Pump, the worst is across my chest and top of my arms, I was worried it would hurt when I was serving this morning. I had a couple of double faults because I didn't feel comfortable doing the full stretch, but no big deal. I am not giving myself any excuses for not getting that old Body Pump habit.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Well here goes.

Not sure how many has read about my past, childhood and how my relationship with food began but it pretty much sprang forth out of an abusive relationship with my mother and a father that was an ostrich (buried his head in the sand).

I have seen my mother once since my youngest daughter was born 6 years ago. Until 2 years ago I did speak with her on the phone ( I lived in WA and she was in Mississippi) but after moving within an hours drive I neglected to call. I am not sure why maybe it was the close proximity and my insecurities. Anyway the last time I saw her was at a family reunion when Madison was less than a year old. Madison has lost both her paternal grandparents and is curious about my mother. While my older children, husband, and stepchildren know about the abusive relationship I haven't found the words or maybe the desire to share about it with Madison. All this said, I did promise her I would get in contact and visit.

And now

I have called my sister and should have my mother's phone number within the hour. The plan is to call and see if she will be home this afternoon and available for a visit. I am not sure how I feel about this. I am nervous not only about the meeting but how this may impact my eating. Food was always there for me, it never hit me, it never said hateful things, never disappointed me. Am I doing to much to fast ?????????????? Or is this another step to healing this controlling monster???? I am nearly in tears just typing all this with a huge lump in my throat.

I am not sure what I expect or even want. I have a head ache just thinking about this.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    You got it, Hon, by that time I will need a break . It would be nice to see you play tennis.

T- I'm sending you a personal message about this when I have time to compose it. I think you are very brave. but if things go south...LEAVE
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :sad: Menopause moment: put a load of laundry in about an hour ago; phone rang just as I closed the lid... just went back and realized I never turned it on! :sad:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    TA - I just saw your post.. am also sending personal message..... then will come back and reply..