Facial Hair

Options
ashbee03
ashbee03 Posts: 274 Member
I have it, if I let it grow in it would be a full chin strap.
All I can do is shave, plase shine some hope into my tunnel !
When I lose over 100 pounds, will this fix itself eventually ?!
It is so embarrassing.
It has gotten worse as I have gotten bigger.
AND I have alienated myself from sleepovers, camping, anything to do with OVERNIGHT stuff as I get stubble the next morning.

Replies

• kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Mine never reduced if my weight went down. I can highly recommend Laser hair removal. Best thing I ever did!!!! xx
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That really sucks, I’m sorry you have to deal with that. I have noticed excess facial hair as I’ve gotten older (and fatter), but not to the extent you describe. I know that the excess facial hair is likely caused (in part on in whole) by being overweight, the excess fat causes hormonal imbalances and I’ve heard it often goes away when the weight is lost.
    Have you tried waxing? You’ll have to let it grow out a bit before it is waxed (maybe a weekend of staying in and watching movies?), but it will appear finer when it grows back and should last a bit longer too. A new hair will have a tapered end, while a shaved hair will have a blunt end (if that makes sense.)
    Good luck!
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Mine never reduced if my weight went down. I can highly recommend Laser hair removal. Best thing I ever did!!!! xx

yeah i might consider this once i lose weight and realize it hasn't gone away.
    but i have over 100 pounds to lose to be at a healthy weight.
    so maybe there will be a difference since the loss is drastic.

only time will tell.
    but it's just hiding the symptoms while losing is what's bothering me. and my doc refuses to put me on hormone therapy. because that just covers up the problem.
    she doesn't wanna stuff my body with new hormones just to even it out.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I only have a few hairs and I may be imagining things, but I think it's growing in much slower since I went on Metformin. I think it's also helped with the hair loss on my head. Sigh... all this hair where I don't want it, and my hair on my head falling out...
  • kit1986
    kit1986 Posts: 23
    Options
    Miranda_mom I know exactly what you mean.

Once upon a time I had long thick hair, now my hair is really really thin (you can see my scalp) and barely grows an inch in 4 months and I get a lot of hair on my chest which is soooo embarassing.

I get a couple of longer strands of hair on my chin and neck which I just pluck out.

I hope everything works out for you Ashbee - you are definately not alone. Find what works best for you

Cheers
    Kate
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my doctor baout my facial hair last week. I get it bad too. She prescribed me a cream (don't remember the name) to try (which I still don't freaking have because either CVS doesn't know what they're doing, or the doctor's office hasn't sent it!! lol) So hopefully it will at least help!
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I only have a few hairs and I may be imagining things, but I think it's growing in much slower since I went on Metformin. I think it's also helped with the hair loss on my head. Sigh... all this hair where I don't want it, and my hair on my head falling out...

You can help rebalance your endocrine system with the right dosage and blend of vitamins, minerals plus an enzyme. Switch to all natural shampoo , conditione and soap like miessence or everscents or whatever is the equivalent in your country. Shampoos and conditioners are full of toxins, carcinogens, hormone disrupters, harsh detergents, plastics to coat the hair so it doesn't feel like you just used harsh detergent, and oil which is a cheap filler but blocks the hair follicle. And that's just the good stuff. I have very long hair. Individually google each ingredient in your shampoo. You will be horrified. Xx
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The cream you're probably talking about is Vaniqa.

Laser hair removal is the best option and generally the most cost-effective. Based on the laws in your state, you might need to travel a bit to get it done at a good price. In Arizona, it can be performed by people who just get certified in Lasering so it's very inexpensive. Some states require a nurse or a doctor to do it and that makes the price go sky high. I just bought a Groupon deal here for unlimited lasering for a year for $999. Considering all I need lasered I'm going to save a small fortune and get a LOT of work done. :D

I have hair problems everywhere (everywhere!) thanks to the evil PCOS beast. I have been lasering my face for about 8 years, my arms and underarms for almost that long. I'm sure I wouldn't have to still be going back but with my hormones out of whack, new growth is just going to keep coming in. But the lasering makes it VERY manageable. I used to have full-on sideburns, upper lip, chin, etc... even after shaving you could see the dark areas of the hair beneath the skin. Lasering made it so I don't have the dark shadow at all. Sometimes when it's almost time to go in again (4 or 5 weeks after last laser) I will have a few darker patches that only I can see, which I shave off.

My arms and underarms don't need maintenance at all. I just shave the few little hairs away right before my appointment. Sometimes, I have a bad growth cycle where I get some darker visible hairs but since I've been sticking to my diet and exercise, it's improved a GREAT DEAL. Which is a great incentive to stay on the plan!

I do not recommend bleaching your face. It just makes the hair glow in the sun. Depending on your skin tone, bleaching is a good short-term solution for your arms (if you have dark hair there like I did) for special occasions like weddings, job interviews, etc. It lasts a few weeks before the new growth makes the darkness show up again.

I also bought a deal for electrolysis but I haven't gone in for it yet so I have no advice in that area yet. I'm planning on getting my eyebrows done and maybe some of the blonde hairs around my lips that lasering can't touch. The deal I bought is for 60 minutes but I don't know how much can be done in that length of time. Lasering eyebrows is kind of a pain because you can't get very accurate, which is why I'm going for electrolysis in that area.

I'm already on your friends list so please private message me if you have any questions. I've been dealing with hair growth issues for about 10 years now and I've tried almost everything you can think of and I'll be glad to answer any other questions you have.
  • ambisweet
    ambisweet Posts: 25
    Options
    I also have some extreme hair problems. I mean if I let my facial hair grow, I could be the bearded lady at a carnival. Full sideburns and everything.
    I used Surgi Cream ( I think it how it is spelled) or a couple of years but it eventually stopped working. After that I resorted to waxing, which worked for a few years and then it started ripping off my skin. I still don't know why it does that, but I can't get my chin, upper lip or sideburns waxed anymore.
    I cannot afford laser treatments, so shaving is my only option.
    I've also pretty much stopped going out to overnight things with friends, unless I know that I will be able to take a shower the next morning so that I can shave, ha.
    As for the dark spots, mine are pretty much only visible to me and that is because I know that they are there. Wearing foundation helps some, but I don't like to wear it because it causes me to breakout. lol.
  • ambisweet
    Options

I think my body has gotten use to my metformin. I've been on it since I was 12, so for 13 years now. It doesn't slow any hair growth, except the hair on my head. So I've stopped taking it. As for pure shampoos. I like Garnier Fructis Pure and Clean. I have a sensitive scalp and this stuff is awesome and gentle.
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i dont have any facial hair but I do have alot of hair on my belly and big toes =s! I hate it because I dislike my fiance seeing it.. on my belly you cant miss it ! on my toes no one really looks there but I would never wear sandals or strappy shoes due to it !
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have them just as thick and dark as ever and I'm down a lot, not 100 yet but I'm not seeing any difference. I pluck, I dry shave and I have to do it daily.
  • ambisweet
    Options
    I think we are all in agreement when I say "Darn you, PCOS, darn you...."
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm in the UK, and my GP prescribed a cream called Vaniqa for the facial hair. It helped me a lot, although I still have hair on my jaw it's a lot finer and less noticeable than the thick black hairs I used to get!

http://www.vaniqa.com/
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've done:
    electrolysis (4 years)
    laser hair removal (2 intervals)
    and finally had to take a break...my hair on my face still keeps growing in
    but it is more manageable. It get stubble however I pluck and shave. I pluck at night
    and the morning if possible.
    I then shave in the shower.
    I also sometimes use that hair removal for your face (leaving it on a little less then 5 min cause it can burn you).

My hair on my head has thinned but I manage. I use Nioxin scalp treatment for helping one spot and I think it helped. To be fair, I think
    my leaving hair dye too long too many times to get my grey roots made some hair fall out (on my right side near my face).
  • cdelekta75
    cdelekta75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Spironolactone, which is generic for Aldactone. It has really slowed the growth. It won't take the unwanted hair away, but it will prevent more from coming in. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am on Spironalactone as well. I have hair growth really bad, feet to head and back to feet. It has been really hard to deal with it, but once I started taking the Spironalactone I have noticed a big difference. I went from having to shave my legs every day to maybe every 2 days. Also I shave my face everyday. The Spironalactone also is a slight diuretic too. :happy:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Spironolactone, which is generic for Aldactone. It has really slowed the growth. It won't take the unwanted hair away, but it will prevent more from coming in. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Same here. Doesn't solve the problem but slows it. My doctor has assure me alot of these hormonal problems will resolve when I get to my ideal body weight.

In the meantime, I spend far too much on razors a month. Sensitive skin with these issues sucks!
  • anothercolleen
    anothercolleen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too was prescribed Spironalactone. My doctor said the facial hair should go away over time but it would be a LONG time. He recommended laser removal.

I can't wait to get rid of the hair as my niece is starting to comment on it. :(
  • ebonyintx
    Options
    I can't comment on weight loss affecting this condition, though it seems it would since losing weight would affect your hormones (which causes this condition). Ultimately you'll have to discuss this with your gyno as to what you can expect. That said, I have some short term solutions that are personal lifesavers for me:

Sally Hansen hair remover cream for the face & Moom organic sugar waxing has been great for excess hair removal. Also as mentioned if you have the money laser may be an option, but waxing & depilatory creams work best for me and they are cheaper.

Also I would look into Chasteberry/Vitex supplements, not sure if it affects this condition or not, but it did help me with non-stop periods I experienced with PCOS (again going back to hormones being affected may reduce the problem).