Metabolism question

Options
I strength train Monday/Wednesday/Friday and do light cardio on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. Each session is about 30 minutes and totals 3 hours per week.

Does it make a difference (metabolism-wise) if I were to limit structured exercise to M/W/F and just piggy-back my cardio onto my strength training sessions?

Am I over-thinking this? :tongue:

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Do you need the cardio?
    It's counterproductive to gaining lean mass.

Just walk on off days as active recovery IMO.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I could skip the extra cardio I guess. I didn't really consider it counter productive to building lean mass since I do low-intensity on a stationary bike (like 60% max HR according to my monitor). It's actually about the same zone that my HR gets into when I strength train.

Would I still be considered to have a moderate activity level if I skip the bike? In addition to the 90 minutes of strength training per week, I do have a dog that I walk daily and (starting tomorrow) I'll be walking my 2nd grader to & from school Monday to Friday (it totals 30 minutes per day). However, I didn't consider it much in the way of exercise since my 3 year old slows the pace LOL ...
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    It could actually be helpful to tack your cardio at the end of your weight sessions as it has been shown to burn more calories. But you might consider shortening it to 20 minutes and do intervals instead of steady state exercise. You could still do this on the bike, and just ride one minute as hard as you can go, two minutes slower pace, alternating five or six times. You will work hard and sweat hard, and it is better for your muscles (including your heart) than steady state cardio. Of course that's assuming you're up for that after your lifting sessions.