Calories Burned Yoga

Options
Does anyone find the calorie burned for yoga on MFP kind of inaccurate? I mean... I do 90 minute sessions of Bikram and I swear it feels like I am burning more than 200 calories.

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, and I've been wondering this for while! I tend to give myself 2/3 of what MFP gives me on other cardio exercise, but I take them all for yoga. I'm not entirely sure though, as I've never worn a heart rate monitor for it. I'd love to hear what information others have to offer.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I will be testing this tonight... been doing a variety of yoga classes (from basic to hot/power flow) and I feel that MFP is on the low end. I added a custom hot yoga exercise for me, based on my estimation... finally got my HRM strap replacement today, so I will be testing out a hot class tonight. I have a feeling it's going to be close to 600 cals per hour, for me at least, based on my calories burned during other exercises and RPE. :)
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    I wore my HRM in a hot class tonight and burned 593 calories in 60 minutes. Whew! :blushing:
  • coconutflower
    Options
    Awesome!!!

I really do think hot yoga is fantastic for weight loss. Especially because you sweat a lot and replace that with fresh water - detoxifying sodium out of your system and making your body feel and function better. I always felt like my heart rate was quite high in those classes because i get a little bit of nausea sometimes!

Also, on days I do hot yoga, I almost always see a .5lbs weight loss, haha :)
  • coconutflower
    Options
    Could you wear your HRM to a ashtanga or vinyasa flow class, too? :) haha
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Could you wear your HRM to a ashtanga or vinyasa flow class, too? :) haha

I will actually do that next time I go! They mostly have hot classes at the studio I attend, but I do like to mix it up and get into the beginner vinyasa just to take it down a notch. I get SO TIRED after hot class, I am just wasted for the entire next day! (In a good way, but still!) :embarassed:
  • ZigsFigs
    ZigsFigs Posts: 6
    Options
    THIS!!

MFP totally needs to add some variety to their yoga option. Doing a hatha class for an hour is not going to burn the same amount of calories as doing an hour of hot yoga. I wish they'd update that. I'm glad y'all agree, I thought I was the only one frustrated by that detail.

I've been doing a lot of core focused yoga work and I know judging by the sweat and the burn in my muscles that I MUST be burning more than 80 calories every half hour.
  • Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    i've been wondering the same too. i do beginner vinyasa style and i swear a sweat my butt off the entire time! i've been putting it in as 250/hour as an estimate. i would love to know what you come up with...TIA :flowerforyou:
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm If you dont' have a heart rate monitor you can use to calculate your calories burned. I get 1245 according to the site. I'm going to set up my heart reate monitor and test it out!:bigsmile:
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll!

I know this is a really late response but generally in a 60 minute session of Power Yoga (Vinyasa) you burn 440 calories!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump 4 ltr
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    MFP frustrates me so much! They should definitely vary up the yoga selection. Vinyasa and Bikram are both definitely cardiovascular workouts and are usually have the same calorie burn as a slow paced jog or speed walk (depending on the difficulty of the class and how much energy you put into it).
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    But yeah there are a ton of resources online where you can kind of guesstimate how many calories you burned in one class. I usually just average my findings together
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i really want to test it out with a heart rate monitor!!!! it's hard to rely what the website tells you because everyone burn calories differently, even they are same weight. too many factors involved...
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wore a HRM during vinyasa yoga today, 60 minute class. I burned 302 calories. I was pleasantly surprised! MFP tells me that I only burn 197 calories doing 60 minutes of yoga.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That MFP yoga burn is just for a generic hatha yoga I think and it does depend so much on your fitness level, experience, etc . In the beginning I guesstimated my burns by comparing it to other exercises that I was doing in terms of effort--walking, running, spinning etc. because every class is so different. I now have an HRM and I was pleasantly surprised that my estimate was pretty spot on! I burn 350-400+ for a 75 min power flow class (where I'm working up a good sweat) around 300-350 for a hatha flow class and 200-300 for a hatha and other more relaxing types. Of course some days feels more/less challenging than other days and like I said every teacher/class is so different. Power classes are what I do now but when I started I'm sure I was burning a lot more, cuz it felt so challenging! (ie serious butt kicked.) Hope that helps:)
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm If you dont' have a heart rate monitor you can use to calculate your calories burned. I get 1245 according to the site. I'm going to set up my heart reate monitor and test it out!:bigsmile:

This is a great web site for calories burned. They also let you request new entries to be added.
  • earpies37
    Options
    i wore my HRM to both a heated hatha/vinyasa fusion class and a heated level2 vinyasa class.

for 60min class i was kept in my target heart rate zone for 46-50min, burned a little over 800calories in the vinyasa and a little under for the hatha fusion.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I mainly got a HRM because I wanted to know how much I burned. In a slow paced 60 min hot yoga class I burned 530 cals. I just got the HRM so I'm excited to see how much I burn in a hot power yoga class with weights.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Not to spoil the fun here, but HRM do not give an accurate calorie burn reading in hot yoga. The closest you will get will be to do the sequence in a non-heated room and see what the calorie burn is.