Reduce fruit/increase fat & meat?

Options
Hey all-

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with losing fat more effectively by reducing fruit consumption? I keep thinking I could do a heck of a lot better if I cut down on sugars even further than I already have. Problem is- I have and always have had a raging sweet tooth. Can't seem to shake it. I also think after looking at my logs that I'm not getting enough fat and meat. Does anyone find that they eventually lose the desire for sweet foods?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    ketosis will set in if you eat less carbs, which will help you burn fat =]

once in ketosis, your cravings reduce dramatically, but its pretty easy to 'fake' sweet things if you have a sweet tooth.

like eggs and cream cheese blended with truvia then cooked like a pancake. soooo good.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The "raging sweet tooth" is a major indicator that you do need to drastically cut down on your sugar. You are dependent on it. And the only way to break it is to just avoid sugar for a while. I used to crave sugar so badly that I'd carry around a bag of Skittles to my college classes. When a massage therapist suggested that I might have a sensitivity to refined sugars and that they were probably contributing to my pain, I said he was crazy, because I craved sugar all the time! How can something I crave be bad for me? But the craving is actually the biggest indicator that it IS bad for you. You have become dependent on sugars for your energy source. And that needs to end if you want to be healthy.

I don't have any personal experience as far as whether it will help you lose weight faster, but I do believe that you will be healthier if you cut back on the fruit sugars and increase your fat and protein.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    When I was losing consistently for a few weeks, I noticed it was because I only had fruit a few times a week, and I hadn't purchased (or consumed) any cheese. So yeah, if you crave it, give it up and see after a few weeks if you still crave it the way you did, and if you notice a difference in your weight loss.

As I get further along in my journey, I've noticed my taste for sugar is very low, and now a whole serving of an 85% dark chocolate bar is really too much sweet for me. Once you get closer to your weight loss goal, you can then add more fruits in, because you'll be in your maintenance phase which allows for more carbs overall.
  • LizaArg
    LizaArg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, fruit although good for you breaks down into sugar in the system and can create insulin spikes, increased hunger, etc. It is better to eat fruit then refined sweets, but when you are trying to lose weight it is best to limit fruit. If you must, choose lower glycemic fruits like berries - blue berries, raspberry, strawberry. Avoid watermelon, bananas and grapes. I know it's hard. But it isn't forever. Once you reach your goal you can put some back in sparingly. If you must eat fruit, combine it with a fat or protein to slow down the digestion. So an apple with some peanut butter, etc.

All I know is that whenever I eat fruit by itself I get a sugar rush and crash. And then I have to keep eating it. Better than a tub of ice cream but still effects blood sugar!

Good luck ;)
  • onceabyrne
    onceabyrne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just started eating Paleo Friday 7/20 and have lost 6 pounds since then just from increasing my fat drastically, cutting back fruit (I just eat berries), and cutting out dairy 100% (I was drinking soy protein shakes w/ skim milk 2x day). Total calories is still the same. I haven't changed my exercise routine at all. The only difference has been changing what I eat.
  • greenlj77
    greenlj77 Posts: 23
    Options
    So here's an update: I have dropped fruit save for berries (which is great because I freakin LURVE those things) and limit it to one serving per day or none if I don't feel the urge. Dairy is a no-go with me because we DO NOT get along in the first place. My next step is to rely less on nuts for snacks or to bulk up other meals. Morning green smoothie is now a morning fritatta or casserole, and I stay satisfied for sooooooo much longer because there are no fruits and thus no sugar in them. I had a talk with myself: Is it more worth it to me to feel and look good or to have instant gratIfication, even if gratification is a banana?

Overall I feel more like I'm on an even keel without the fruit. No highs and lows today. I'm IFing over lunch because I didn't have time to pack one and to be honest, I'm fine right now. I'd rather go without than buy something at the cafeteria that was not Primal/paleo anyway.Yesterday I did have a bit of headache, nausea/sweats and was tired but it was manageable.

So thanks for all of your suggestions and support! It's going to be tough, especially when I live with a sister who is firmly aligned with in the Calories in, Calories out Whole Grains Brigade (or as I like to call it: The CCWGB) and believes her word is gold because she is a highly respected medical professional. I'll manage.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    go you!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the others who have said that limiting fruit intake (even with the same calorie intake - which means increasing both protein *and* fat) can make a difference in weight loss. I've read some compelling explanations for why this is so - but most compelling to me is my - somewhat short-duration as yet - sample size of one since I've dramatically lowered carbs recently. If I look at my meals over the past couple of weeks, they go against *everything* that we've been taught is necessary for good health. They are high fat, high protein meals with almost zero "healthy" complex carbohydrates (and essentially no simple carbohydrates). The only carbs I get are incidental to what I eat. I have not been hungry, I've been eating the same number of calories, and my pace of weight loss has dramatically increased (while my energy level is the same or higher). My biggest problem right now is that I'm being told this pace of weight loss is "alarming" - even though I'm eating the same number of calories or more..

I don't, btw, expect this pace to continue indefinitely. I expect it will slow down as my body adjusts to this "new normal." In the meantime, though, I'm enjoying the fact that my pants are getting a little baggy and uncomfortable. ;o)
    So thanks for all of your suggestions and support! It's going to be tough, especially when I live with a sister who is firmly aligned with in the Calories in, Calories out Whole Grains Brigade (or as I like to call it: The CCWGB) and believes her word is gold because she is a highly respected medical professional. I'll manage.

The biggest (maybe only) argument against that is results. If you are successful losing weight this way - AND if you can show that other risk indicators such as blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc. are moving the right direction - you will win the argument in the end. That's the thing about "highly respected medical professionals." They have been trained a certain way and have their biases accordingly - but they are also very respectful of empirical evidence, so if you can show that you'll be in good shape (both literally and figuratively).

Good luck!
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I found this entire thread very educational. I have been eating fruit at least twice per day, ie, peaches, nectarines, bananas, etc., and not eating the berries. I'm definetely gonna turn this around. I also have an extreme sweet tooth, but have kept to staying away from the candy, hostess cakes, etc., that I have in my house for my daughter for school. Such a temptation, but am really proud of myself.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For 55 days I have increased my protein dramatically and the only fruit I eat are blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, an occasional peach or apple. I limit my carbs to 50 g a day. I gave up dairy about 10 days ago. I consistently lose on average about 4 pounds per week. I have not been tempted to binge on sugar....not even once. I have tons of energy! I have increased my fat as well, but haven't added as much as I should because I still have a little fear of fat. I eat one avocado per day. This afternoon I did go buy coconut oil, coconut milk, ghee, and kerrygold, for when I decide to jump that mind hurdle :)
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    that's what it is ( a mind hurtle) I do bulletproof coffee, but hate to waste the calories on a drink....I have yet to get the ghee.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love fruit! But I only eat a couple times a week because I want lose still. When I move to to maintain that is a different story. Right now its meat and veggies. No carbs. Don't take everything you read as gospel. Challenge it and as question to why. Everybody responds differently. Good luck to you!