An atheist living without purpose

Options

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also, it occurs to me...

The Christians will think what they're gonna think. Sometime I like to argue with them. Sometimes I really just don't care. You know, sometimes I AM a depressed atheist. *kitten* 'em if they point and laugh. I prefer to be honest with myself. Because as much as I really don't want to spend an afterlife with any god I've ever heard of, it might be nice to see my grandparents again. And the fact that I won't is sad. That's reality. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

If it gives someone meaning to live a good life so god will let them see their grandparents again, even if it's false, it still gives them meaning. I envy them their delusions sometimes.

And if you think that makes me a bad atheist, *kitten* you too. :laugh:
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    There is no logical connection between a lack of a belief in the supernatural and a lack of meaning in life. That's an accusation the religious hurl at us, but there is no necessary connection. We have enough on our hands just countering the religious accusations that our lives lack meaning because we don't believe in their particular god, without our giving credence to such. THAT is why I am so adamant that atheism is not a CAUSE of meaninglessness or purposelessness.

So, in order to be good atheists, we have to toe the line and act like our lives are so meaningful and happy now that we're atheists?

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. You're tired of countering all the myths about atheism. I, too, have had a Christian friend tell me I was a nihilist-- that I HAD TO be one because I didn't believe in god. I am learning to just look 'em in the eye, cross my arms, and say, "prove it."

Of course most of us agree with you that religion is not the one true path to a meaningful life. But it can be hard to shake the FEELING.

I think what you may be missing is the feeling a former Christian has when s/he loses faith in god. If you haven't had that faith, if you haven’t been a True Believer and then lost it, you don't understand the horrible feeling it is. It takes some time to get over, and meanwhile, yeah, life looks pretty meaningless. Your whole REALITY has changed from one where an all-powerful loving Male in the sky takes care of everything and has a plan for you, etc, to one where NOBODY is looking out for you except a few other mortals you've gotten yourself tangled up with-- if you're lucky.

Of course most of us pick ourselves back up after a period of mourning and realize we have the same meaning in our lives that we've always had, just without the god and eternity behind it... but that takes time. Meanwhile we have to counter our old friends and family arguing with us about meaning in our lives and how we're going to hell for not believing in their invisible friend.

If the atheist community (such as it is) can't even admit to each other that we struggle with a lack of meaning in our lives, we're gonna end up a bunch of lying fakers, the same kind of people who shake hands on Sunday morning and say "God is good!" and then go home with the same sins and depressions as everyone else on this planet. Nobody likes a hypocrite.

An atheist acquaintance of mine recently committed suicide. She had left the Seventh Day Adventist church after about 40 years, and then joined a local atheist Meetup (where we met), where we all got together and shook hands and said "Dawkins is good!" and scolded each other about how we have just as much meaning and more as any Christian. And my friend did not leave a note, but it's my contention that she was dying a little bit every day from hopelessness and loneliness. And yeah, a Christian would jump and that and say HAHA IT'S TRUE ATHEISTS HAVE NO MEANING AND THEY ARE DEPRESSED but you know what? Some of us are. Don't deny it, you'll only make it worse. Do something about it.

I didn't deny it. I said some atheists have meaningless or purposeless lives. What I am saying is that it's not caused by your lack of belief, any more than a xian's meaninglessness or purposelessness is because of xianity. What would you like me to do about it? I can't find meaning in your life. Most atheists do not feel purposeless. Most atheists see a lot of meaning in their lives. Why are you mourning a belief in something you admit isn't real? Are you missing the community connection? Then make new community connections. Check out what these atheists have written and said, explaining where they found meaning in life, if it's not obvious to you. I sugest you start with Carl Sagan, because he had a lot to say about the subject. Check out what Matt Dillahunty posts at YouTube. Matt is an ex-fundamentalist and has a lot to say about being an ex-xian.

The atheist community doesn't need to "admit we struggle with meaninglessness." For the most part, we don't. The vast majority of atheists find plenty of meaning in life, and we struggle to fight the image that we struggle with meaninglessness.

I see no reason to assume that the reason an atheist who left no note killed herself is because of meaninglessness. I'd attribute it to prejudice, if I attributed it to anything at all, but neither of us really should speculate.

You seem pretty adamant that you like this feeling of purposelessness, as you call it, and want to hang on to it and assume we all feel it and deny it. I'm not so sure you're as yet really convinced there is no god. Why else mourn the loss of ignorance?
  • FitLink
    Options
    Also, it occurs to me...

The Christians will think what they're gonna think. Sometime I like to argue with them. Sometimes I really just don't care. You know, sometimes I AM a depressed atheist. *kitten* 'em if they point and laugh. I prefer to be honest with myself. Because as much as I really don't want to spend an afterlife with any god I've ever heard of, it might be nice to see my grandparents again. And the fact that I won't is sad. That's reality. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

If it gives someone meaning to live a good life so god will let them see their grandparents again, even if it's false, it still gives them meaning. I envy them their delusions sometimes.

And if you think that makes me a bad atheist, *kitten* you too. :laugh:

I'm not bothered what xians believe, so long as they're not spouting those beliefs as if they should have the force of law and be enforced by the government. And I couldn't care less if you don't care if you're depressed. But atheism doesn't cause depression. The vast majority of atheists are happy, well adjusted and consider life meaningful. I can't imagine why you'd envy someone a delusion. So they waste the only life they get chasing a pipe dream of what they'll get in heaven? Do you also envy the muslim jihadists the 72 virgins they believe they'll get in heaven for entirely giving up the only life they'll get? That isn't meaning. Giving up false beliefs allows you to derive true meaning, in place of the illusion religion gives.

Have you considered an atheistic religion in your search for meaning? Like Buddhism or Jainism? Sam Harris has many good things to say about the Jains.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You seem pretty adamant that you like this feeling of purposelessness, as you call it, and want to hang on to it and assume we all feel it and deny it. I'm not so sure you're as yet really convinced there is no god. Why else mourn the loss of ignorance?

You don't read very carefully.
    So they waste the only life they get chasing a pipe dream of what they'll get in heaven? Do you also envy the muslim jihadists the 72 virgins they believe they'll get in heaven for entirely giving up the only life they'll get? That isn't meaning.
    Who says they're wasting their life? They seem quite pleased with themselves. And yes, I do envy them a bit. Not because they have it better than me, but because life is so simple for them.

Don't you get it? If we all get to decide our own meaning, then religious people get to decide their own meaning too.
    Have you considered an atheistic religion in your search for meaning? Like Buddhism or Jainism? Sam Harris has many good things to say about the Jains.

Yeah. I'll do that.
  • adamsurpren
    Options
    The last 6 posts have all been argumentative. Which, as I mentioned, is exaclty what I was hoping to not have.

Thanks for killing my thread. Insert [expletive]
  • FitLink
    Options

You don't read very carefully.
    So they waste the only life they get chasing a pipe dream of what they'll get in heaven? Do you also envy the muslim jihadists the 72 virgins they believe they'll get in heaven for entirely giving up the only life they'll get? That isn't meaning.
    Who says they're wasting their life? They seem quite pleased with themselves. And yes, I do envy them a bit. Not because they have it better than me, but because life is so simple for them.

Don't you get it? If we all get to decide our own meaning, then religious people get to decide their own meaning too.

Yeah. I'll do that.

Yes, we all get to determine if our lives are meaningful. My issue is that you are attributing meaninglessness to atheism in the same way xians ascribe meaning and morality to xianity. If your life lacks meaning, the lack is in you, not in your atheism.

You seem to have this need to assign your meaninglessness to atheism and atheists, then when it's pointed out that MOST atheists feel life is MORE meaningful for atheists, you tell me I don't understand the pain ex-xians feel at the loss of their xianity. And you base this upon... NOTHING, that's what you base it on. Most atheists are ex-theists of one flavor or another; I myself used to be a xian of the roman catholic variety. I attended NINETEEN YEARS of catholic schooling! NINETEEN YEARS! Kindergarten through six years of university. Why on earth would you assume I was an atheist all my life? Do I "mourn" the loss of my belief? You better believe I don't! What possible meaning could I derive from the horror and hatred in the bible? What could you be "missing" without it?

And you know what? If you don't want anyone to disagree with you, don't post to a public forum, and don't speak for a group you're only one member of. I get it. Your life is meaningless. That is totally unconnected to atheism. And BTW, each of our lives, whether we are theist or atheist, has exactly as much meaning as we decide we want to give it. The "theist or atheist" part of that sentence can be dropped and the sentence still means the same because belief in a god is unconnected to meaning. If your life is meaningless and that bothers you, do something meaningful. Just quit blaming atheism.
  • FitLink
    Options
    The last 6 posts have all been argumentative. Which, as I mentioned, is exaclty what I was hoping to not have.

Thanks for killing my thread. Insert [expletive]

I suspect that is the cause of your meaninglessness. You expect to be able to control the entire world. This is an internet forum. You don't "own" a thread just because you start it. You label all dissent "argumentative," despite dissent being the best way for knowledge to grow.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't even really call myself an atheist I just know I don't believe in any of that silly stuff just science. I'm living my life how I want to live it and being the best person I can be. I know it's all for nothing in the end but I don't think about what my "purpose" is I just enjoy my life.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For me, being an atheist frees me. I'm able to look at the world without having to place a pretend answer to it which gives me the feeling I suppose as religion can to some. I'm not bound to anything. Maybe you can take a break from the debating, the arguments, etc that goes on between atheists and theists and just start looking at the world for what it is and how truly amazing it can be, you can probably look at it with a better view then some theists can. It may not give a purpose to you as an individual but its truly awesome on what life is able to do.

One of things I love to read about and nearly obsessed with is the cognitive skills we are finding our with animals more and more, I know this isn't necessarily an 'atheist' activity but its just interesting to witness what life does and able to enjoy this without having to debate it in my head if I am going against some belief or faith, I can just simply enjoy. Sorry if this isn't more helpful but its the only advice I can give.

My individual purpose, it may not be a major one but I have purpose to my friends and family and to myself :). I'm glad I get to enjoy the time I do have and get to witness so many different things even if they are little, something I could never done if I wasn't here at all and I can do it all by my own steps, not the steps of some religious institution that may not have my best interest in mind.
  • adamsurpren
    Options
    Yay normal, helpful people replying to my post. Thanks!
    I'm living my life how I want to live it and being the best person I can be. I know it's all for nothing in the end but I don't think about what my "purpose" is I just enjoy my life.

What is it about your life that you enjoy? What do you do to be "the best person I can be"?
    :-)
  • Rhea30
    Options
    adamsurpren, I'm guessing you were religious before from your post but now instead of just having a purpose of having to worship a God you can now make a purpose for yourself, whatever purpose you want. Kind of like a cause if that would help you. Maybe volunteer and get active in something you are passionate about. ( I don't know you so don't know if you do or not already) and create the purpose you want for yourself.
  • adamsurpren
    Options
    For me, being an atheist frees me. I'm able to look at the world without having to place a pretend answer to it which gives me the feeling I suppose as religion can to some. I'm not bound to anything. Maybe you can take a break from the debating, the arguments, etc that goes on between atheists and theists and just start looking at the world for what it is and how truly amazing it can be, you can probably look at it with a better view then some theists can. It may not give a purpose to you as an individual but its truly awesome on what life is able to do.

One of things I love to read about and nearly obsessed with is the cognitive skills we are finding our with animals more and more, I know this isn't necessarily an 'atheist' activity but its just interesting to witness what life does and able to enjoy this without having to debate it in my head if I am going against some belief or faith, I can just simply enjoy. Sorry if this isn't more helpful but its the only advice I can give.

My individual purpose, it may not be a major one but I have purpose to my friends and family and to myself :). I'm glad I get to enjoy the time I do have and get to witness so many different things even if they are little, something I could never done if I wasn't here at all and I can do it all by my own steps, not the steps of some religious institution that may not have my best interest in mind.

Thanks for the great reply Rhea30. I think that was all excellent advice.

I think that's a key word too - freedom. I definitely have to realize that I am free and can experience things without chains and bonds over what I see and feel.

You kind of made me 'remember' the other things I enjoy. I do love seeing the world and looking at how beautiful it can be. As a matter of fact, after you posted, I called a friend up and we're going camping this weekend :o)
  • adamsurpren
    Options
    adamsurpren, I'm guessing you were religious before from your post but now instead of just having a purpose of having to worship a God you can now make a purpose for yourself, whatever purpose you want. Kind of like a cause if that would help you. Maybe volunteer and get active in something you are passionate about. ( I don't know you so don't know if you do or not already) and create the purpose you want for yourself.

I'll try not to get too personal. But yes I was. I was religious my whole life, but all that changed when I got out of the military. I do not volunteer and I should. I love love love dogs, and will take your advice and go see if my local shelter needs some free hands. I know my boyfriend will loathe that but I think you're right, thanks for the help. ^_^
  • Rhea30
    Options

I'll try not to get too personal. But yes I was. I was religious my whole life, but all that changed when I got out of the military. I do not volunteer and I should. I love love love dogs, and will take your advice and go see if my local shelter needs some free hands. I know my boyfriend will loathe that but I think you're right, thanks for the help. ^_^

I'm glad that was able to help. My husband had went through something that you're experiencing, he grew up in a religious family and was religious and then had changed his views and took some time for him to adjust and had a period where he just felt a void (thats how he explained it).
  • staubng
    staubng Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's all in the evolution, baby! Note, you ask a deep question, it better have a nice, deep answer...which takes time to explain, so let this be a continuing conversation, please! ;)

Here's the thing. The first ringing in my mind of importance and purpose started when thinking about, of all things, insects. When we kill an ant, is it different than when we kill another human? We can add all sorts of moral 'consider-this' situations like 'has the person done something to deserve it?' 'what are the reasons you killed the person?' and on and on, but this is unnecessary rhetoric until we answer the question in it's simple form. It's hard to explain without a certain degree of scientific background, but the beauty of it, is any answer that is based on Science is one that you can learn and repeat, should it help you in developing your purpose.

When we kill an ant, is it different than when we kill another human? The answer is both yes an no. Life and the universe is a means of probability. Let me explain. Bear with me here. You may have heard of the particle/wave duality of electrons, for example. If you send a single electron through a single slit in a piece of material, whatever detector you have behind the material to track the path of the electron will always show in one spot. (behind the slit) Like a single particle. But if you had two slits in that material, you'll have the particle hit the detector behind the material in a patterned array of points. In fact, it waves out from behind the two slits, where it is to hit is anyone's guess on any particular shot, but over time, it ends up landing on multiple points greater than the number of slits. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tNzeouHC4) this is a great video to explain this better.

The reason for this puzzling concept is probability. At any given time, the electron can be in any of a number of random places that would be consistent with that of a wave of material. A single slit gives you no option but through or not. Two slits leaves the probability of going through one slit, the other, both slits, or none. So, what does this mean to the poor ant and fellow? We, living things, started out in the most simplistic of terms. 5 specific amino acids that joined with phosphorus and simple sugars. A chemical reaction that, based on the probability of whichever molecule was attracted to an ever growing chain of them (what we refer to as DNA and RNA) developed different chains. From this point forward in all of our history, environmental factors both natural and developed (other chains and eventually organisms), allowed for the greater probability to succeed. For example, a needed amino acid for two chains will attach to one, taking away from the other. One then continues the attraction, the other either finds another of the same amino acid, a different one that also attracts, or it has insufficient material to proceed to do anything until the chain eventually breaks down, leaving raw, complex material for other chains to utilize. Because of these chemical reactions, the better the environment for continued molecular attraction, and the more complex the strands get.

Ok, Over 3.7 billion years to current day, and along the way countless forms growing, replicating, taking over their environments, environments changing letting other things suddenly take over instead...it's a matter of time scale with this one that you have to grasp here, there have been patterns in the probability of 'success'. Think of it in terms of waves. You yourself can do something that affects the different aspects of the environment around you. People interact with you altering or confirming the course of actions you take, for example. It's no different from a single electron. We can use specific terms of measurement to see what these patterns are. Scientists like to have big names, but there is always a layman's term for it too, should you not want to memorize them all.

Scientists label them according to what we call our Phylogenetic Tree. They label specifics like is it an animal? (animalia) is it a prokaryote? (Largely single celled organisms without a nucleus) Is it a Eukaryote (Multi celled organisms with complex parts to their cells) for example. I was never an evolutionary biologist, I was more in to astrophysics (which connecting the two is a long conversation for another time). But this is where it fascinated me. The patterns throughout life based on probability were the result of essentially two diverging groups of increasing DNA complexity. Two slits in the options of propagation. Self sufficient sustainability or Cooperative sustainability. Cells of DNA that complimented each other and attracted while maintaining their distinctive characteristics as single cells often put both cells into a more sustainable situation. This is our most basic instinct. Every living thing is characterized by "Can I be self sufficient or is self perpetuation more probable by teaming up?". (Side note: You know what usually wins? Self sustainability! Consider the number of single celled organisms compared to more complex forms of life. We are vastly outnumbered. Mutation and adaptation occur more easily the less complex the item is. What is 'their' purpose?"

This is where we fast forward to today. Self sustainability, I would argue, is only a luxury we've increasingly been able to afford as we (humans) become better at shaping our environment to allow much more diversity to thrive. Thus, we have an option in purpose we've only vaguely questioned until our world as we've shaped it has allowed us to consider a broader range. You won't find one purpose fits all, for by nature of the existence of life since the beginning has been what manages to perpetuate forward is that which has been given a choice of how to continue to interact with the world around it. Leaving posterity to continue, creating ideas that perpetuate, developing physical landmarks that far outlast our particular genetic make up's ability to not collapse...your purpose is your choice in legacy and you can find endless examples of how countless individuals and groups alike have established their own.

Granted, no legacy is just as much an option. A man who never considers the power of this thought process tends to die as fruitlessly as the ant squished on the sidewalk. The woman who chooses a method of legacy is given that choice by the decisions and developments of every man and woman that came before her in her family line.

I choose to not have kids, though I'm 28 so I have time to change that...probably ;)... but my legacy is with my music and ultimately the science I can share with people struggling to find purpose in atheism. I perpetuate myself until I have given all that I want to give or have been fortunate to have time to give, and then my time is up.

And what about you, the poor fellow who will eventually die. What worth can you see after you can no longer feel worth? Well, this is where I step away from the specificity of reality in science and give you my objectified opinion. We are all made up of the same atoms that were once, more than 5 billion years ago, formed in the heart of a star. It exploded, formed a new star and system we know as our own. These same molecules, present in small bits of asteroid and meteor and proto-planet, combine and collide to create a planet we know as our own. The simple molecular attractions from that original "Star Dust" (as Sagan would put it) developed and allowed for more complex molecular attractions forming a type of life that we know as our own. And from that life, individuals rise and fall creating folks like einstein. Gallileo. creating folks like hitler and like Bin laden. Forcing us into a question of whether we are better for the environment around us or worse compared to everyone and everything else fighting to answer that question in the affirmative. It created folks like me and you wanting an answer to purpose, a vestigial question from a day of religion and superstition. When you break down and can no longer perpetuate yourself, your molecules become part of everything and everyone moving forward. We cannot answer the question of purpose any longer on a human scale. We have to push farther forward in time. We have to consider the big picture of everything. And that is this. Whoever or whatever is left to see the last of whatever is left, will finally have the option to say "this has been the purpose of it all". Not where we're from, but where we're going. It's a question that is leveled in duality. It is a single purpose for that individual, and a wave of purposes that made it possible for the individual to exist.

From a matter of perspective, until we die, we are that last individual from a line of everything that came before us, unless we leave something behind that can impact something going forward a little longer.
  • mikeandfox
    mikeandfox Posts: 59
    Options
    "Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time!" ~ Bender

I haven't always been an atheist. In fact there was a point in my life in which I was looking into attending seminaries instead of colleges. At that point, the reason for living was to serve God and do as He commanded... or so I thought.

Here I am, just over 15 years later, and there is no god. So why keep living?

People.

It's not like I found that answer after leaving my religion. It was ALWAYS the answer. We live for each other. It's the basis of Humanism, and at least to me, one of the only things that matter (and maybe a little bit of Hedonism).

We live for our fathers.
    Our mothers.
    Our brothers and sisters.
    Our family and community.
    Our nation and world.
    And ourselves.

That is the "purpose" of living our lives. This is why I am an atheist, and more importantly, a Humanist.

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” ~ Buddha

Immortality is your impressions left of the world. The harder you push, the deeper the impression. Make it a good one.

You served in the military. Are your reasons for fighting not the same as your reason for living?
    When I die, I will have no more anything. Thoughts, feelings, emotions, conscious...it will be gone. And everyone I ever loved or affected will also die, and lose all connection to me. And in the end, the sun blows up and nothing matters. So tell me, why should I live at all? Why should I care? You may say...'enjoy it while you got it' but that joy ends at death, where it will not matter. Any joy I had will be gone and insignificant to me. Some say 'do it for others so they can live happy' but again, they are going to die, into a world of nothing, with me. So they're happiness does not matter. That good feeling they get, and I get, all that, will just stop. It's like taking your kid to disneyland when they're 1 or 2. They won't make a memory of it...so why do it? Pointless.

Just like the infant at Disney, did you not enjoy it? Does it have to be immortal to be valuable?
    Look I know this all sounds so sad and depressing but, I'm just curious, why do you live? Why are we bothering? My answer...I do it just because. I literally feel like a zombie moving through the motions. Sure I'm happy, sure I'm sad and angry sometimes, but I'm just taking it day by day. I don't fear cancer or diseases or dying, because I know it wont matter and the universe doesn't care. I feel like I'm just waiting to die. It has made me a bit more shrewd to friends and family and I am slowely disconnecting. But seriously, you all know we are miniscule in the grand scheme of things, why do we all feel so important?

I know you said you weren't suffering with depression earlier, but as someone who has and does cope with it, please don't self-diagnose it. Talk to your doctor or therapist and let them give your a clean bill of health. and get second opinions.

I know I am kind of rambling here. I guess I never lost my faith, I just placed it in people instead of gods.
  • smbakk
    smbakk Posts: 15
    Options
    I went through a rough time during my deconversion as most ex believers do, where I had to reassess what meaning my life had now that I had accepted that there was most likely nothing after this life. It was difficult to even imagine after having believed for so long that life went on eternally after death, in either heaven or hell, and having been thoroughly indoctrinated, conditioned and brainwashed for nearly 50 years, it took time and intense soul searching to find new meaning for this limited life I do have on Earth. One thing I realized that helped was that there was nothing to fear about death now, for myself or anyone I knew. I no longer had to pray for the lost souls or envision millions of people suffering in hell for not believing the right thing, which of course every believer claims to know "the one true path" that leads to salvation while all other creeds are destined for eternal damnation.

After a period of mourning the "death" of my heavenly father, who I had always believed loved and cared about me more than any human being every could, who I had trusted to always be there, to listen to and answer my prayers and to welcome me into heaven when I died; and Jesus my savior who I always believed had suffered and died an agonizing death in my place, for my sins, who was tenderhearted and compassionate, understood my human weaknesses, was extremely forgiving, and would lift me back up whenever I fell spiritually, it finally dawned on me that God didn't really die or abandon me, and I wasn't really turning my back on him, I had just come to the life changing conclusion that they didn't exist and never had. If there was a God, it was definitely not the God of the Bible, but not wanting to let go entirely, I became a Deist, then eventually an Agnostic Deist, then an Agnostic Atheist, and now I just consider myself an Atheist, seeing no evidence of a God whatsoever.

As for my eventual death cancelling out any meaning for my life today, tomorrow or the next however many days or years I might have left, I don't feel that at all. To me it's like saying "next week it's not going to matter if I have dinner tonight, so I might as well not eat". While in reality it does matter to me tonight, so I will eat whether it makes a difference to me next week or not, and I will enjoy it! Sure it still saddens me occasionally when I think about the finality of death now, whereas when I was a believer there was the hope of glory, something to look forward to at the end of life to help make dying easier. But it was all just false hope, so nothing was really lost except in my imagination. When I think about where I was and where I am now however, I would not choose to go back. I'd rather live my life in a bitter sweet reality than in an ignorant blissful mythology.
  • staubng
    staubng Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Both of those last responses were beautifully written. A message, that if anything else we needn't drop if only for a time, is that there is understanding in like kind. It makes the former soul, as interpreted, feel a kin with fellow kind. I love it. There is eloquence in science, there is beauty in understanding, if only, not for a moment but the rest our lives, to know we won't have to have possibly died into agony if it weren't just right.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi, i haven't read all the posts above, just jumping in.

I have been atheist probably longer than most of you have been alive.
    I am NOT living for a prize and big party after i am dead.

My life has the meaning i choose to give it.
    As an atheist,
    i have lived a very very full, meaningful life, full of joy and love,
    and
    i have also experienced times of loss and aching and not great times.

both experiences
    were largely my choice,
    and the bummer times had zero to do with not believing in an afterlife.

In many ways, i find being an atheist extremely comforting, as religion always hurt my head and caused emotional static, cuz it made zero sense to me once i reason the age of reason in my teens. (although i grew up in an extremely devoutly religulous family).

I find doing good things,
    for the sake of being good,
    is extremely rewarding. It's been eons since i ever did anything good to earn possible points for a dead-person-party, so i can't really remember
    nor compare
    the two types of joy there.

but, atheists can fill their own world,
    their own life,
    with whatever purpose they choose for themselves.

Each of us in unique,
    and each of us has to find what fulfills THEM.

For me, it's always been the same things that bring me meaning, satisfaction, inner growth, and peace,
    and those things include
    doing charity work
    helping others
    deep friendships and love,
    involving myself in causes i believe in,
    and
    learning new things.
    to name just a few.

as well as fun. Yes, fun. Having fun IS one of my goals,:laugh: a necessary part of my life, that i need to keep going, to be "me", to enjoy life to it's fullest.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    TO THE OP
    http://atheistuniverse.net/
    YZCau.gif

I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THE SITE ABOVE STRONGLY ENOUGH.

do join, (it's free)
    and post your questions there,
    AS WELL AS visit that site daily.

Belonging to that site,
    and learning so so much there,
    HAS helped me hone and develop an even bigger worldview
    than i previously had.
    Belonging to that site,
    has helped me appreciate even further, to enjoy what i have NOW, to the fullest, cuz this IS the wonder,
    right here,
    right now.

An atheist who belongs to AtheistUniverse is more likely to realize there IS indeed, awe and mystery and wonder all around us, but no invisible big daddies are req'd to experience it,
    there are amazing things all around us to explore, learn about and enjoy.

Not just one (1) visit there, nope, but visit it daily, and find the subgroups that fit you.
    There are TONS of atheist forums to join,
    but THAT one, has a smarter and kinder crowd, than most do,
    and that one has wayyyyyyyyyyy less kids ranting around and posting angry stuff.

It's almost impossible to visit that site, without learning something,
    and i always leave that site feeling hopeful, understood, and content.
    You are NOT alone.