Are men less manly?

Options

Replies

• Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    2 - Every society idolizes previous generations. From Homer's Iliad to the Old Testament, heroes of the past are a foundation of practically all great myths.

3 - I'm not sure we should criticize people for whining about having to go die in Iraq or Afghanistan. You can hardly compare it in to WWII. Not sure what people in Iraq are dying for, but it's most certainly not our safety. But I dont want to get into a political discussion. Suffice to say WWII was very different from now, and losing that war would have had terrible consequences for the world. And I think most people understood it at the time, as well.

--P

Completely agree, it is also not a fair comparison giving the sources. You can't compare present day first hand accounts with accounts of people remembering 60 years ago and/or movie depictions (particularly World War II movies, half of which are glorizations or pure propoganda). I don't know many people that go around complaining about stuff in their distant past, but I am willing to bet GI's werent walking through France in 1944 humming John Phillip Sousa anthems with a rosy outlook. Another previous generation, that of most of this groups fathers who went to Vietnam (or avoided it) didn't get quite the rosy treatment from the media and were often depicted as malcontent.

Really?
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    The breaking legs to get of service most likely happened in WWII as well. If you ever watch the Fog of War, one of McNamara's first jobs was to assess mechanical failures on bombing missions. The conclusion was that a large number of the mechanical failures that require pilots to return before reaching the target were actually minor and that the primary motivation was to avoid a highly dangerous and life-threatening encounter.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No, I think men today are more manly. They cry and express their fears and anger and arent afraid of having a discussion about being manly!!

Men of yesteryear used to beat their wives and children and hide behind a pint of beer because they were emotionally suppressed! That's just cowardly!!

They could fix things because they weren't expected to go to school and get an education, they were expected to go out to their manual job and put food on the table.

Amen for progression! :flowerforyou:

I think the points raised about emotional expression and education are very interesting and fairly accurate. However, the generalization that most men used to beat their wives, and fewer do today, is not valid.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    No, I think men today are more manly. They cry and express their fears and anger and arent afraid of having a discussion about being manly!!

Men of yesteryear used to beat their wives and children and hide behind a pint of beer because they were emotionally suppressed! That's just cowardly!!

They could fix things because they weren't expected to go to school and get an education, they were expected to go out to their manual job and put food on the table.

I think the points raised about emotional expression and education are very interesting and fairly accurate. However, the generalization that most men used to beat their wives, and fewer do today, is not valid.

Well, lets just say 100 years ago it was an acceptable norm, but today domestic violence is an imprison-able offence.

Sorry to generalise, that's not my intent. My point was just about emotional expression being more acceptable these days :flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Well, lets just say 100 years ago it was an acceptable norm, but today domestic violence is an imprison-able offence.

Sorry to generalise, that's not my intent. My point was just about emotional expression being more acceptable these days :flowerforyou:

Yes, that makes sense.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    2 - Every society idolizes previous generations. From Homer's Iliad to the Old Testament, heroes of the past are a foundation of practically all great myths.

3 - I'm not sure we should criticize people for whining about having to go die in Iraq or Afghanistan. You can hardly compare it in to WWII. Not sure what people in Iraq are dying for, but it's most certainly not our safety. But I dont want to get into a political discussion. Suffice to say WWII was very different from now, and losing that war would have had terrible consequences for the world. And I think most people understood it at the time, as well.

--P

Completely agree, it is also not a fair comparison giving the sources. You can't compare present day first hand accounts with accounts of people remembering 60 years ago and/or movie depictions (particularly World War II movies, half of which are glorizations or pure propoganda). I don't know many people that go around complaining about stuff in their distant past, but I am willing to bet GI's werent walking through France in 1944 humming John Phillip Sousa anthems with a rosy outlook. Another previous generation, that of most of this groups fathers who went to Vietnam (or avoided it) didn't get quite the rosy treatment from the media and were often depicted as malcontent.

Really?

Most people fight in wars because they feel it is their duty not because they want to actually fight or die for their country. Most people I know that fought in a war/conflict, Vietnam and after don't even want to discuss what they have gone through, my father and uncles being included. If you look at the majority of homeless men over the years you would find they fought in one war or another and couldn't find jobs when they came back.
  • Meghan0116
    Options

--P

Really?

Most people fight in wars because they feel it is their duty not because they want to actually fight or die for their country. Most people I know that fought in a war/conflict, Vietnam and after don't even want to discuss what they have gone through, my father and uncles being included. If you look at the majority of homeless men over the years you would find they fought in one war or another and couldn't find jobs when they came back.

I am very aware of the homeless population in this country, considering that is what I do for a living. Actually, veterans do not make up the majority of homeless in the country.
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    I typed this long @ss post about how men nowadays are every bit as manly as our forefather were.

But as I was typing on my beautiful pink hello kitty keyboard I broke a nail and said screw it!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    As far as the emotional expression... I certainly don't want a guy that cries on a regular basis. crying in general makes me really uncomfortable, I despise it when anyone cries including myself. Though I excuse it if it's something that's understandable (death of a loved one, injury). On the flip side I don't like yelling screaming fights either. I much more prefer emotionally controlled logical discussions about problems that reach resolutions.

I do also prefer the "manly" hands on type of guy. I have no problem getting dirty doing my own minor car maintenance or working in the yard. If he's afraid of messing up his manicure (or *gasp* developing a callous!) then it's just not going to work. One of my exes once sent me a text because he was sooooo excited that he got three nice button up shirts for only $50!! Tell me that if it has something to do with comic books or something that I care about.

I guess what it boils down to is that I'm pretty "manly" when it comes to comparing myself to other women... so I appreciate a man that's manlier than that. If I wanted a woman I would be a lesbian. I get frustrated with "girly" things if I'm surrounded by it too much. At best I tune it out.

Though can we really judge whether a populace as a whole was manly or not? We didn't live "back then" so it makes sense all we hear about now is the sensationalized stuff. It's like people assuming that all Americans are fat, crass and stupid because all we have to judge is the extremes you see on television (Biggest Loser, Jersey Shore, etc). I'm sure just like always people have and will be individuals - we just happen to live in a time when things like men getting their nails done isn't taboo anymore. There are women that appreciate that and women that don't. Are women less feminine now that we focus less on cleaning the house and more on fitness than the fifties?
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I typed this long @ss post about how men nowadays are every bit as manly as our forefather were.

But as I was typing on my beautiful pink hello kitty keyboard I broke a nail and said screw it!

You got the Hello Kitty keyboard? I am sooo jealous! I looked everywhere for it and it was always backordered! I had to settle for a My Little Pony keyboard and it's yellow. I am so sad.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    So, my first reaction was YES they are less manly, but as I read through the posts and reconsidered, here's what I really think.

I believe in the past, there were more clearly defined "acceptable" gender roles. These things are said or done by men, and these are by women.

The difference with today is that the line is more blurred. Not only do men seem less manly, but women seem less feminine (not all, just a generalization).

When I left college with an engineering degree, I joined a workforce of mostly men, so I dressed less feminine and toughened up.... then I realized I missed feeling like a GIRL. So now I wear skirts, and get pedicures, etc... BUT I sure don't want any man thinking I have to do all the cooking or that a vacuum is an appropriate gift, haha....

So I don't think it's less manly, it's just a blurring of the lines of traditional gender roles...Make sense? I think it's true for men and women...
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

However, I suppose there's something ironic about a bunch of men debating if we're more or less manly within a "Single Peeps!" message board on a site that helps people monitor calories.

Could be just me, however...

--P

Good one!! LOL!
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options

You got the Hello Kitty keyboard? I am sooo jealous! I looked everywhere for it and it was always backordered! I had to settle for a My Little Pony keyboard and it's yellow. I am so sad.

It even has GLITTER!

Ok, Ok... fine! I'll just be over here chewing tobacco while hanging sheetrock and rebuilding this diesel engine!
  • Meghan0116
    Options

It even has GLITTER!

Ok, Ok... fine! I'll just be over here chewing tobacco while hanging sheetrock and rebuilding this diesel engine!

BAHAHAHAHA :drinker:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The fact that young men are much more willing to mooch off of their parents or a girlfriend is a clear indication that they are less manly that previous generations. As life in the US has gotten easier over the past century, men (in general) have become more feminine. Men used to provide for and protect their family. It was what was expected of them. Now, they may provide (unless the gf/wife can make more, then he'll househusband it) and they expect protection from others (police, etc.).

I don't think the incidence of domestic violence has gone down. There are just more women beating the crap out of men.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    fifty-years-carolla.jpg

I can't build a house with my bare hands. I could probably beat you up with them, though...

I don't know anything about football. I can brew excellent beer from scratch...

I don't change my own oil. I prefer super glue to hospital visits and stitches.

Sort of a draw, I guess.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    The fact that young men are much more willing to mooch off of their parents or a girlfriend is a clear indication that they are less manly that previous generations.

I don't see it that way. I see it as more of an economic shift that has hurt young men. Young men now are competing with young women for professional jobs, and there are fewer manufacturing jobs that typically went to young men.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they're less manly because I am so young, but I do get the sense they are. I think a lot of it is because of women gaining more rights and becoming more confident, and so it is becoming that the man doesn't have to be so strong. Maybe men don't feel like they have to be a "protector" and a "provider" but most women do in fact want that I think. At least I want that. I don't want him to have to give me money or whatnot, but I want him to be there for me and guard me, and I will be there for him in return.

I think it is acceptable for sure, so long as both couples agree it's okay.

I love the comedian Aaron Karo. He says, "Dear Future Wife: the most important job you will ever have is to kill spiders for me."
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are so many traits of my grandpa's generation that I wish today's men had: decisiveness, strength of character, commitment, personal responsibility, etc. OTOH, there are so many things from grandpa's generation I'm thankful fewer women have to deal with (women treated more like objects, domestic violence, being dependent on a man).

I think in every generation, that perfect combination of man who is strong and manly but still treats his women the way she feels loved is hard to find.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Also, one of my friends said that the reason many professionals in my generation are still single is that the men are all looking for women like their mother, and the women are all looking for men like their father, but society has changed so neither the men nor the woman themselves are like that previous generation.