08-01-2012 Wednesday's Mad Hatter Chatter

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
HAPPY AUGUST MAD HATTERS!!

I'm off to work; won't be able to check in til tonight but just wanted to wish everyone a good Wednesday; it's a tuff day for many of us being mid week so today remember to be kind to yourself in some little way today; and take a quick peek back at how far each of you have come in your own personal journeys.. whether it be the last year, month, week or day.. we are all making so many better choices in every aspect of our lives TODAY than we have before.. so celebrate your successes Hatters, ROCK today..and let's make this IPOM WEDNESDAY just for us!!

My IPOM: a 6 line post.. instead of 600 lines LOL YAY ME! :bigsmile:

Replies

• tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Snoozie,

In your post you said to "remember to be kind to yourself in some little way today" please make sure you follow that advice. Your eyes and health are so important.

Good Morning to all of you Mad Hatters,

It's the beginning of a new month. What can we accomplish? Anything we set our minds on, we are strong, loving, kind and loyal...We are the Menopausal Mad Hatters:flowerforyou:

Have a great day my friends, will check in later.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All, Ifeel like Anita from yesterday's post. I may not post all the time, but i love to read evedryone's post. I have a hard time fighting this laptop at home and I don't always have time at work, but I am so proud of everyone's successes.You all Rock!!

Speaking of
    rocking...Tonya, You are doing so well. I am estatic for you!!
    Snooozie , Miss talking to you. I hope your eye's are getting better every day.

I go to the dr. today to get my lipids done. To check on my Sugar levels. They are jumping up everyh time I have it done, so I'm banging on the door of Diabetes , myself. I really don't want to get that diagnosis, it's so much easier to be in denial, if I don't have it checked.

It's another Hot one here. Please be careful those of you that exercise out in this heat. I'm going to tackle those stairs early this morning.
    Have a fantastic day, Mad Hatters!! G
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    T2, thank you so much, without you and all of the wonderful Hatters I don't think I would have had it in me to continue. Don't be in denial, together we can do this. Trust me I know. Listen to the doctor and lets get healthy together. Hydrate well today my friend!
  • 6swolcott
    6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone,
    spent all day yesterday at drs, not liking some of the results but go see dr on august 7th will see, in the meantime ill just keep doing what I know to do and to be right for me. Walked 6.44 miles new trail this morning hard as heck, but I did it. Had to stop twice to breath due to asthma but so proud of myself for not giving up. It reminds me to stay focused like the old saying goes when the going gets tough, the tough get going. I have to be stronger mentally to get stronger physically. Most of the time I allow what I think to control what I do rather then doing so that my thinking comes along side the action. So for August my personal goal is going to work on my stinking thinking, do what I know to do to be healtier each day, even if its just one small thing, and to record my daily success and not focus on what I didnt do. Have a awesome day
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday,
    Yesterday was a day of life and death, in the morning we went to a funeral for a loved uncle, in the afternoon after 2 very long weeks, husbands colonoscopy biopsy was CLEAR! It has been 6 years since he had cancer so we were very anxious. I am very happy to say that I did not allow my anxiety to get me eating. Instead I was on a organizing spree. I cleaned my laundry room. So far 8 large bags and three large boxes for goodwill. I think I finally figured out what was going on. Each time there was a major house cleaning, things were thrown in boxes then piled in the laundry room and never opened again. There were learn to read books in the bottom boxes and my youngest is finishing college! In addition to being distracting, I was burning up some calories!

Time2Lose-Good luck with the sugar levels. I was also banging on that diabetes door and in January, the doctor wanted me to consider cholesterol medications. I made sure I wasn't critical yet and asked for some time. Thats when I joined MFP and started taking seriously the need to get fit and STAY fit. For some people diabetes is in their genes and they must find ways to deal with it, at any size. For others like me and hopefully you, we can avoid it by following a healthy lifestyle. Good luck at the doctors.

A NEW MONTH-August is always bittersweet, I get SAD, so I don't like to see the days getting shorter. But it is still Summer and the farmers markets are bulging with fresh fruit and veggies. So enjoy the fleeting days of summer and enjoy healthy eating.
  • KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A new month towards a new US! Way to go ladies! You all inspire the rest of us. Yes, when things get tough we get tougher. Wishing everyone a successful August!!! ~K
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Drizzling a bit in Vermont this morning (I TOLD them we should do the Snowflake exhibit today, instead of yesterday when it was gorgeous...sheesh!)

Snooozie, in this case an IPOM is not an IPOU! I'm sure I can speak for us all when I say we love your 600 line posts ;) But we'll have to suffer with 6, and look forward to tonight when you can spend a little more time with us!

Tonya, heck yes! We CAN accomplish it all. I often think of how I would talk to my kids...it sure wouldn't be "get off the couch you fat cow and go exercise". It would be so much kinder and more supportive. We're so much nicer to everyone else (well, for me, MOST of the time!) than we are to ourselves. We ARE kind, loyal and loving!!

G, here's hoping you get good news today. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Wolcott, good for you getting out there and finishing that hike! I like your "focus on what I did do, instead of what I didn't do", I think that's a great way to stay positive and support YOURSELF!

Hair, lol. Who knew cleaning the laundry room could be a trip down memory lane? Congratulations on your husband's fantastic news, you must be insanely relieved. Now, will you come clean MY laundry room? Please?

Well, the bike ride yesterday was not as good as I had hoped, nor as bad as I had feared. The route my husband picked was a 3 mile loop (which when you're used to riding at least 20 miles gets a little boring...). He did two and quit (I did 5..yeah for me) He's thin (If you saw him you might think he was a marathon runner), but really out of shape. I know he finds it incredibly irritating (Snooozie, that was for you) that I'm in better shape than him (for the first time in 25 years). A lot of hills, which is very different from the flats of southern NJ, but a good workout, which made me so less cranky. On the other hand, during our afternoon excursion we made stops at a snack shack (where they got french fries), a bakery (where they got milkshakes and cherry chocolate almondsbars) and a candy shop (where they got peanut brittle and cranberry orange bark). And that is why I've decided I'm no longer traveling with my family (ok, not really, but it did make it really hard and I was thinking that I was pretty proud of myself for A) not eating any of that crap and B) not killing all of them)

So that's my tale of woe for the day. Thank you for letting me share (it makes me a much nicer wife and mother!). I'm hoping to get a bike ride in later when, hopefully, it stops raining. We've picked out a longer route, and he says he'll do what he can and wait for me. Well see how THAT works out ;)
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @ MeRobi - no swimming with the fishes for your family OK Jersey Girl - lol.....maybe send them off a mountain trail instead....:laugh:

heading to Avalon the end of August - and Cape May - will indulge in funnel cake at the zoo.... and ice cream at the hotel - but will be swimming with the sharks..... lol.... up to waist high in the Ocean - not really an ocean swimmer - luckily they have a pool at the hotel and will be taking walks from Avalon to Stone Harbor....

And of course Uncle Bills pancake house.....

it's only a few days and will enjoy life....:flowerforyou:
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Carol, call me! I'll ride my bike to Avalon and we can have coffee!!

Someone recently mentioned boredom as a reason they eat. Just saw this great article on boredom eating...

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/33oauz/:1uKbCtUcq:TeU67$Zp/www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/weight-loss_b_1327619.html/
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Good day everyone

Snoozie, thank you for pushing yesterday and posting that push it inspired me to take my first outside walk for exercise last night. It was great and I can't wait to do it again. Now as said by yourself "be good to yourself today" and do what the you need for recovery.

Tonya you are so right "We've got this" with the support of this group there is nothing we can't do

Time keeping you in prayers and that all reports come back good. It was over 100 here yesterday and will be again so I relate to hot. I waited until 11 pm last night to get in my walk.

6sw 6.44 miles is amazing I am such a walking baby compared. keep pushing and you will make your goal. Last year when walking from our house to the football games I could barely make it and often had to rest, last night I made the loop 2 times !!! Not nearly what you do but its good for me.

Janet yesterday must have been hard, glad the reports were good. I remember when moving from our apartment to our house I sent btw 10 and 15 van loads to goodwill. That was 4 years ago I am sure I probably need to do that again but its such work. We have the tenancy to hold on to things that pull our heart strings.

KLB wishing you a great August also

Oh Robi you must be so proud experiencing the rewards of all your hard work. Hears to blowing his ride out of the water !!! Good article and lots that we have had thoughts about.

CBM sounds like a wonderful holiday planned, hope you have a wonderful trip

Not feeling it here today, just kinda of tired and not feeling great. I went back to bed for an hour or so but that just bored me more. I don't even feel like fixing anything to eat and of course that's always dangerous for later in the day. Its just to hot to doooooooooooooooooooo anything. Oh well maybe more reading and a relaxing bath will help.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Morning Mad Hatters!!

Got to read all the posts last night but then fell asleep in my chair inbetween my allotted "puter time"! Thanks for all the well wishes, I am being VERY good; wearing patch and taking many breaks LOL.. it kinda sucks this is one of our busiest weeks leading up to many events this weekend in the city so lots of work.. but bosses have been super supportive f i make sure i keep forcing focus away to distance and what a (great excuse to take about 100 breaks a day LOL).. iM HOPING i talked a co worker into bringing a laptop today so i can do up a post at work (on my breaks.. yeah thats it).. anyway just quickly for now as I am of course running late but tonite is mine to catch up!

T2 - i totally get the denial thing.. i did it for a couple of months too.. in feb doc said Type 2 is here but gave me 3 months with diet/exercise.. i kinda went ya ok.. but didnt really do it.. went back..she said will give u another 3 months and sent me to diabetes clinic then you're on meds. the clinic scared the @#$# out of me!!!! I had no idea WHAT diabetes does to your whole system; its not just about taking a few meds.. honestly Gail...it scared me so much I came here!! and I tried every diet in between supposedly set to detour diabetes. anyway... eating low gi and good foods and exercise seems to really be the only thing working here; my blood sugars have been lower for the past month every morning; I'm not where I have to be yet but getting lower for sure; which is why im a little frustrated with the no walking right now because honestly its made ab ig differeince in the numbers too.. anyway sweetie.. i TOTALLY understand the if i don't know... it won't be that mindset.. been there, done that, got the t shirt.. I think it was HSH in the same boat?? (sorry typing so fast cant go and check.. ) anyway YOU matter to us.. so please.... find out.. know for sure.. then we will help you every way possible to avoid meds if possible... i know its scary, but its more scary knowing what its doing to us .... big hugs and pls let us know.how its going??

TA: yay on the walkies.. im like you.. i can only walk at a certain pace; used to get me a little insecure to hear or see others running past me but now im GOOD with whatever I know I can do.. as long as I'm moving each day...its good for ME so dont think of it as "only walking" or only a certain speed...think ALLRIGHT LOOK AT MEEEEEEE I'M MOVING!!" ROCK ON!

arggggg so much i wanna say; btw loved the cup recipe too.. loving the dedication of those on vacation still keeping it real; tonya have a great time on yours; merobi thanks for the laughs! soooo much more but will hope laptop can be borrowed and if not, tonite for sure will dave up puter time for my hatters!!!!!!!!

Remember to do something GOOD for yourself today ladies!!! Cause WE DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good morning and talk to you on Sunday. Headed to the bright lights of New York City. Just wanted to say have a healthy happy few days! Janet
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good morning my fellow hatters…

I apologize that I have been MIA for the past week basically. Tensions have been extremely high at work as we seem to be going through a house cleaning. I’ve lost 2 co-workers and at least 5 faculty members that I love. There are more that have left or been asked to leave as well at different campuses. Everyone is on egg shells here at work, wondering who’s next. It’s always an uncomfortable, semi-hostile environment anyway as our Dean is extremely micromanaging and this management style is filtered down throughout her leadership team and thus, ultimately to our supervisors. We’ve all been afraid to speak to each other much less do anything that is not 100% work based at our desks. So, logging in at work hasn’t been an option. Our home system has been torn down in anticipation of my daughters move in, as her room was our “office” and we’ve just not found a new home yet for our computer.

I just wanted to let you all know I’ve not “left” you all and I DO think of you all often, it’s just circumstances are a bit tense right now.
    :cry:
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends!

I have a few days off to spend on cleaning my basement and some fun things like the Wisconsin State Fair and my annual Nursing school alumni reunion. Deaconess Hospital School of Nursing. My mom and I go together as we both graduated from there. She was 30 years before me. Proud moment happened this week as my second son asked me to do the honor of pinning him as a nurse next Friday. I have another son that will be a nurse in another 2 years. I am honored.
    Hairspray, have fun in New York....too big for a country girl like me! How exciting, shall I watch for you on the Today show? Stand next to Lenny.
    Snoozie, Glad to hear you can check in.....love to read your posts. You make me laugh out loud sometimes....no most times!
    I have been a little disappointed in my scale......but then it came back down to where my body has determined it wants to stay. Well I disagree. The scale can be so deceiving as most of the time it is water(well, I hope so , anyways). I need to learn not to get so mad at the numbers. I threw a couple of explitives at it yesterday without even thinking. It just flew out of my mouth!
    I sure do feel it when I drink alcohol, or dip my radishes in salt.....yummm! I need to learn to leave the salt alone.
    I see alot of patients with Diabetes. Most of them that have alot of trouble are those that do not exercise or watch their diet. It has alot to do with eating a balanced diet and watching the carb intake and exercise. It can be controlled. There are alot of natural ways to control your blood sugar. I had heard that aloe vera juice is one of them, if you want to check into that. I dont know what it tastes like.
    Well, back to cleaning. Hello to all my friends here and have a wondeful day. Stay strong, stay determined, stay focused. Most of all, Enjoy Life!!

PS I'm not logging the Cream Puff I have at the fair! I said "Enjoy LIfe" then burn it off! Woot woot!

Sorry Lesley. That sounds horrible. I think its like that everywhere! Money is hard to come by these days. I get so upset at work too, and then I tell myself how lucky I am to have a job. Changes at home to to boot! Stay positive and find a way to de-stress. Something just for you. Sending you strength. This too shall pass......I hope this all passes soon.
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Mad Hatters! Happy August to all...Just wanted to let everyone know how much I enjoy reading your posts! I've been very busy lately with family visits and entertaining. I'm looking foward to getting back to my boring life! lol Well here's to a great August and I hope everyone has a positive month! As for me I'm taking part in the August Move your *kitten* Challenge, I completed the July Challenge and have increased my miles walked from 30 to 40 for August. Doesn't sound like alot, but for me it's big. Wish me luck! Cheers!
    Annamay(mazie61):flowerforyou:
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Snoozie it does appear you are being good to yourself and being very good at limiting your computer time. I know it must be hard but hang in there it will be worth it in the end and so worth it.

Janet have a wonderful enjoyable two days in NYC

Leslye hugs dear job politics are so stressing. Know that we understand and are wishing your the best. Try and make good choices as often as possible.

Linda what a special moment and achievement with three generations of nurses. I too have been struggling with sodium in just the last couple of weeks. It does seem that upping the water is the best remedy for that so you may want to try that. I love fairs and wondered is it cooler there than here though? We have been having 100+ weather here. Have fun for me !!!

Annamay I looked at the August Move challenge but decided I probably won't be very successful until I get school rolling so decided to wait for the Sept challenge to sign up though. This is the last week of a 4 week walking challenge I am a part of so that should help me be able to complete the Move challenge. Good luck and I am sure you will do great.

I am excited to say that it looks like some of the changes that I have been reading about and putting into practice seem to be doing the trick in keeping the scale moving in the right direction. I sneaked a peak today (I have just been feeling super thin this week) and it shows I have dropped two more pounds this week. I am not going to log them until Monday on my official weigh in day but it has really motivated me. I wish I would have stumbled across the message topic post before now and maybe I wouldn't have stalled for that couple of weeks but regardless I am excited to see results.

Well time to get some protein before the Olympics come back on. Almost the weekend !!! Keep pushing we have another great week behind us.
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have to brag on myself today. IPOM! I took my friend from Montana that is staying with us for two week shopping. We were at a mall. We went to get something to eat and she went towards the pizza place and I went towards Taco Bell. I went to order a number 1 not knowing that potato o lays comes with it. Good thing the clerk said what size do you want for your potato o lays. With out blinking and thinking I said "Oh that's not what I want I just wanted the Taco's with water"! So that's what I ended up with. Later I thought, I didn't even think about it I just knew that I didn't need it. Any other time I probably would of said Medium size and can i have cheese on them. So I must be learning something on this travel of life. Just had to share. Hopefully it will show when I weight in tomorrow. Have a good evening Anita.
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    I have to brag on myself today. IPOM! I took my friend from Montana that is staying with us for two week shopping. We were at a mall. We went to get something to eat and she went towards the pizza place and I went towards Taco Bell. I went to order a number 1 not knowing that potato o lays comes with it. Good thing the clerk said what size do you want for your potato o lays. With out blinking and thinking I said "Oh that's not what I want I just wanted the Taco's with water"! So that's what I ended up with. Later I thought, I didn't even think about it I just knew that I didn't need it. Any other time I probably would of said Medium size and can i have cheese on them. So I must be learning something on this travel of life. Just had to share. Hopefully it will show when I weight in tomorrow. Have a good evening Anita.

Yeah !!! That means its becoming a habit as in a lifestyle !!! This is huge and IPOU !!!
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good job Anita! This is where it all begins. The transformation! The mindful eating!

Annamay, good luck movin your *kitten* and congrats for makin the decision to do it. You go girl!

T, it has been cooler here in Wisconsin than it was 2 weeks ago. We had 106 . I feel for you. Thats horrible. It sucks the life out of a person.
    Great job on the 2 pounds! I wanna do that , but I have to work a little harder right now to shift ....well....something. to drop weight again. arghh! I seem to be stuck, but thats ok. I will keep on keepin on! Somethins gotta give soon.

Snoozie .....we are missin you , just so you know.
  • PearlGrey
    PearlGrey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks to EVERYONE for sharing the good and the bad of this journey we are on :-)

May I suggest we have a weekly thread i.e. start on Sunday/Monday with a "week commencing xx/xx/xx " title? It save Snoozie having to start daily threads and is usefull for non USA timezone members.

Best wishes to all and have a great weekend.