Exercise and how it affects your numbers

Options
2»

Replies

• Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    In my experience with excercise is if I lift weights my numbers go up or if I run on treadmill they go up. If I walk on treadmill or track they go down I have had some lows on just walking. So before a workout I check my numbers and if they are high I walk if they are low I lift weights. Dont know if this pertains to everyone but seems to be the case for me.
  • pops9653
    pops9653 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I think you've got it figured out! I haven't gotten to the lows yet. I'm not looking forward to them, but I'm sure they are imminent. I started using MFP to track food intake and level out my eating on Feb 1st. On Feb 13 I added exercise to my daily routine. I am cycling 30 min in the morning, and 30 min in the evening at a pretty vigorous pace. A couple days ago, I added interval training while cycling (just one of the two rides per day). I'm trying very hard to get my A1C down. I think I'm doing it since my daily numbers are improving.

Have you (or anyone reading?) had a high A1C and worked your way down using diet and exercise? How long does it take before you start seeing "lows"? I'm prepared.. I have glucose tabs and healthy carbs available. I also make sure I have my meter with me all the time. I take pills at this point. (metformin, glipizide, & januvia)

I struggle with high morning numbers (dawn phenomenon). It drives me batty! I am eating ~1500 cals per day and exercising an hour a day. I'm now taking my evening metformin at bedtime instead of before supper to see if that helps. So far it hasn't, but maybe it will take my body a little time for it to take effect. My sugar was 161 this morning - but it can be as high as like 200! Two hours after meals I'm in good shape, well under 180.

I am taking Lantus now but was on glipizide and Metformin as well before that. The glipizide and metformin brought me down a little but I was still over 200. Now that I am on lantus my blood sugar usually runs around 130-140 in the mornings. and is an average throughout the day at about 120. I spike to around 160-180 after meals as well. My doctor said that the a1c will drop even though I still have a some days that go over 200 for a hour or two.

I numbers were always high in the mornings while on glipizide. My triglycerides are down from over 400 about a month ago to 145 now so something is working LOL.
  • pops9653
    pops9653 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can ask anything, my highest A1C ever was ... 15. I don't remember my last A1C 6.2 I think but it was the lowest in 15 years, previous to that I was 7.5. Ironically many years before I was diagnosed I was in a major car accident for some reason they did an A1C back then. Glad I had it as a baseline.

I stopped taking my meds, yes without Dr. consent, 3 weeks ago today. I still monitor every other morning to see how I am doing. I stopped taking them because I found myself blacking out at the gym after 30 minutes because my sugar dropped too low. Even if I ate prior to working out. Now I average 80-110 when I wake up, prior to eating.

That is awesome brother. That is an inspiration to me I am looking to lose 40 more pounds and get off my meds. I will take this story with me on my journey.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So, how is everyone doing? Just checking in after a nice 30 minute walk!
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I can't tell you how nice it has been just reading thread. I just found the group. I have T2D & now am on NovoLog & Levemir.

When I got serious and joined MFP on May 24, 2012, I started experiencing a lot of lows in May, June, & part of July. It was due to the drastic cut in food that I was consuming, compared with before. I ended up going to my Dr every 2 weeks and I kept trying to adjust my insulin & get it right. I experienced the change of vision, the bad confusion, (even got 2 tickets on June 3rd when I ended up driving up in Georgia from Florida when I was out of it and very confused and my BS was below 70), shakiness, sweating, etc.

A year or two ago, I was on U--500 Insulin, which is a concentrated form of Insulin. I was on this because I was taking up to 1000 units of NovoLog at a time, and I took NovoLog 3 or 4 times a day, and I also too a few hundred units of Lantus daily too.

Back then, I weighed 360 lbs too. When I started MFP, I weighed 334. Today, I weigh 278. Now I go to Planet Fitness gym every other day, and exercise there. I also exercise at home on the days between.

Now, I take 45 units of Levemir and usually around 30 or less units of Novolog daily total. I am eating right and exercising all that I can handle with my back.

It just took me a while to adjust my insulin, b/c I'd been taking large doses of it for years. I'm happy now too. My diabetes is much better under control. MFP really does help.

I look forward to being friends with you all. :happy:
    Amy in sunny Jacksonville, Florida
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my number go up when I do a very vigorous workout, but not very high.. most I had was 133 once, but typically it stays below 100. With light cardio my number stays within my now normal range (80-90). Yesterday I did a measurement during lifting weights, as I was getting a bit light headed, and wanted to check if I went low, but it was 97.