Looking for a geek name for my dog

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    There's also a line from priscilla queen of the desert.

Herpes, if she's good, she'll heel [sic].

NICE!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Valykerie (sp)
    kelpie

My car is named Zoey lol
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Name for a large black dog? Has to be Sirius!

If going for that angle, Padfoot would be better.

I'm guess I'm being dense, but I don't see how. Sirius is the dog star.

Its...one of those.. you know.. Harry Potter things *nod nod*

Exactly. Sirius in Harry Potter turns into a dog named Padfoot.
  • mamavanryan
    mamavanryan Posts: 49 Member
    Sheldon (Big Bang Theory)
  • talanie506
    talanie506 Posts: 2 Member
    I think that, if you are getting a lab, the geekiest name would be Dexter. Dexter the Lab. :)

i have a pygmy hedgehog called Dexter.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member

If we were getting a male, I would be all over this. I freaking love Sheldon. My 7 year old daughter IS Sheldon.
  • bcerz811
    bcerz811 Posts: 39 Member
    Div! (like in web design/development) :)

Some friends of mine named their dog "Pixel" which was also awesome. He's a web developer so it fit perfect. My friend, not the dog. ;)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    We called our dog Gaspode names after Terry Pratchett's taliking dog in his Disk World series!
  • mamavanryan
    mamavanryan Posts: 49 Member

If we were getting a male, I would be all over this. I freaking love Sheldon. My 7 year old daughter IS Sheldon.

So is my 11 year old step son!
    And my own son of 2.5 is also on his way becoming a Sheldon
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    We're getting a lab puppy this fall - she should be ready to be picked up the week of Halloween. We won't know until the pups are born whether she will be yellow or black. We've been struggling coming up with a name that clicks with us. I'm not really into your typical dog names, would prefer something with some meaning for us. My husband and I, having Irish ancestors, love Ireland and all things Irish. Our first lab was named Bailey (the source of my profile pic). Our dalamatian is Piper. Both kind of Irish. Maybe a little Scotch in Piper's case.

Anyhow. We (me especially), are also into the geeky. Star Wars, LoTR, Buffy/Whedon (my daughter is named after Alyson Hannigan), Dr. Who, comic books, video games. Elves. I love me some elves, especially some R.A. Salvatore-esque drow. So that's kind of what I'm after. We've come up with a pretty solid name for her if she's yellow - she'll be Willow (more Buffy there). But if she's black... I'm not sure. I prefer Willow for a yellow lab only, unless maybe I was thinking of doppelgangland Willow. I'm also thinking of Halloween/Autumn type names that would work as well. My husband is an even bigger PITA - he's a fan of two syllable names and if they end in an "ie" sound, even better. I picked Gypsy (huge Stevie Nicks fan as well), but he shot it down.

I'd love some brainstorming ideas! I've gone through a lot of character names - Arwen, Anya, River, - definitely not Leia or Amidala. Good thing I have 3 months to figure it out!

I love Irish names. Our dog is named Dublin and he's a red hound mix. Our cat is Valkyrie.

Rose (from the Doctor)
    Penny (Dr. Horrible)
    Kaylee (Firefly)
    Asha (GoT)

As a side note, I voluteer at an animal shelter and last weekend we had 4 puppies named Jon, Arya, Robb, and Bran. Made me happy:)
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    You didn't list Star trek, so you might not like this, but how about Seven? (of nine)

or

I've always wanted to name a pet L.O.L. , I think it would be a good name, or LMAO., but "LOL" is easier to say..

or you could use a phrase, we named one of our kitten fosters "Socks with sandals" ..
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Decimal
    Pi
    Megabyte
    Trillion
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    If you're leaning toward big bang theory, what about leonard's mother's name? Beverly Hofstader (spelling??) or just Beverly.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Dana or Scully

Aeryn
    Chiana
    Zhaan

Sorcha - pronounced (take your pick :) ) sor-ka, sir-ka or surra-kah (gaelic pronounciation) - Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Pop culture (ish)....

* Indy/Indiana. Named after George Lucas' dog, Indiana, who supposedly inspired the name for Indiana Jones and, also, Chewbacca.

Not pop culture, but a bit geeky...

* Laika after the first dog in space. I've always loved that name for a dog (and it comes up a surprising number of times in trivia and few people seem to know... a handy fact to have!).

* Toppy after the series of cloned service dogs in Korea, which is kinda cool/scary/freaky (all Labs, iirc, so bonus if you're getting a Lab ;))
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned K-9, the Doctor's dog ;).

I would first just get a dog. Often the name comes to you and if you pick a name beforehand it may not suit the dog.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    My friend named her Bernese Mountain Dog "Denny". So that when he comes in you can go "OH HAI DENNY."

....you get it, right?
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Name for a large black dog? Has to be Sirius!

Seconded. Best. Idea. EVER.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    My friend named her Bernese Mountain Dog "Denny". So that when he comes in you can go "OH HAI DENNY."

....you get it, right?

Bahahaha... yeppido.
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    We called our dog Gaspode names after Terry Pratchett's taliking dog in his Disk World series!

I LOVE THIS!