Need Help with the Oat Bran Galette -

Options
Okay, the oat bran pancake is a great idea. It tastes like sawdust and is dense. I've made one thinner by adding water (I wanted something like a tortilla to make a turkey wrap) but it fell apart. Also I added pepper and onion powder but as I eat it all I can think about is how good it would be with peanut butter on it. Let me know what you have done with the oat bran to make it enjoyable, cause let's face it, some of us are overweight because we enjoy food. :love:

Replies

• photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I found a muffin recipe that's been fantastic...

2 eggs
    1 container of nonfat yogurt (6 or 8 oz)
    Use the yogurt container to measure the same amount of oat bran
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp some sort of flavored extract
    Sweetener to taste
    Cinnamon, etc to taste

My current favorite is maple extract - then I use plain greek yogurt, sweetened lightly, as a "frosting". They're super moist... I love them!

350 for 10 min if you're making mini muffins, 15 min if you're making full size muffins.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I hate the oatbran, also thought of sawdust!
    I just eat high fibre bran sticks with non fat milk, only 3 tablespoons, but it fills me up for breakfast, and has the same effect as the oatbran galette.
  • ginnyz1
    ginnyz1 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks. The recipe sounds good. I'll give it a try.
  • sisdunbar
    sisdunbar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love my oatbran pancakes! It's best not to overcook them of course otherwise they do taste a bit cardboardy! I use fat free fromage frais, 1 egg and 3 tablespoons of oatbran. My favourite topping is Tate & Lyle Maple Syrup and 1 chopped banana! I looooove it! I am on the stabilisation Phase and have been maintaining forever (apart from the month I did the metabolism reset) so yes I do eat bananas, even though Dr Dukan says never to eat them again! Neveeeeer? I love a banana and I've read up about them and I don't think they do any harm when maintaining so..!
  • ginnyz1
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I added 1/4 teaspoon each of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon this morning, 1/2 tsp of Truvia and 1 TBS of water. Much better. I cooled the pancake and cut it into wedges for snacking on today.

I wonder why no bananas? They have lots of potassium and if they are not overripe have an enzyme that helps curb appetite. He might not like them because of the high sugar content.
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    I hate oat bran pancakes, they taste terrible to me. So, my solution is to mix the oat bran, a good amount of non fat yogurt and some sweetener and it turns into yogurt with cereal. It’s the ONLY way it goes down. I had this idea from the fact that regardless of the Dukan diet, it is highly suggested that oat bran be incorporated into everyone’s diet because it’s one of the foods that can prevent colon cancer. Therefore, they suggest we sprinkle it over fruit salad, cereal or yogurt.
  • Capone1971
    Capone1971 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've never had any success at cooking the galette - must have written off 3 frying pans trying - so I make porridge by using 2 tbsp oat bran and 100ml skimmed milk. Then it's sweetener and cinammon to taste. 90 secs in microwave. Muffins are another favourite with lemon and ginger being my latest flavour.
  • virgogirl916
    virgogirl916 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I add one egg, 2 tbls greek yogurt, 2 pkts. splenda, cinnamon, & vanilla extract...It's pretty good....even hubby liked it & he is so picky :P I read somewhere that people add unsweetened cocoa powder to make a chocolate one....I haven't tried it, though....
  • shelmag
    shelmag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make mine with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla extract, and a little Splenda. When it is done I spread Fat Free Cream Cheese on it. I alao made a couple ahead of time and then popped them in the toaster-oven a couple of minutes to heat and crisp up and again spread them with fat free cream cheese - this is my mid afternoon snack - not sure what I am going to do once I go back to work next week.
  • ginnyz1
    Options
    I make mine with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla extract, and a little Splenda. When it is done I spread Fat Free Cream Cheese on it. I alao made a couple ahead of time and then popped them in the toaster-oven a couple of minutes to heat and crisp up and again spread them with fat free cream cheese - this is my mid afternoon snack - not sure what I am going to do once I go back to work next week.
    This sounds yummy. I add cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla but the cloves sound good too.
  • shelmag
    shelmag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me the key is the spreading it with a little Fat Free Cream Cheese! I made one last night with cocoa powder and a little Splenda - it was good - not great - but good. I can see getting a little tired of the pancake after a while so I will need to find other ways to incorporate the oat bran.
  • janebink
    janebink Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use fat free fromage frais and have found out that the gallettes are always better when this is fresh. the pan needs to be hot before you pour the mixture on and then I add some sweetener and pour on a little fat free yoghurt. Yum!!!! Or i have it with two poached eggs on top! They do take a bit of practice but once you get it they are a lifesaver

Janebink
  • ikoiko33
    ikoiko33 Posts: 43
    Options
    My husband and I have been experimenting with different preparations …

For breakfast in the morning, I make mine with a teaspoon of baking Splenda, and 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon. Also … McCain spices makes a Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie seasoning, which I have tried … actually quite tasty, just takes some getting used to the texture.
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just discovered the savory galette! Put taco seasoning instead of sweetener an added fat free cheese....really good!