Weight Loss Surgery - Daily Conversation 2012

Options
IsMollyReallyHungry
IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
Hello all and welcome to all new members!

Please feel free to use this thread for daily conversations and to get to know one another. Share success, struggles, etc

Have a good day and remember success is never giving up! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kmags66
    Kmags66 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hello

I am a new member, I had RnY surgery Dec 2011. So far doing well but I am at the 6m mark and have seen a slight decrease in my weight loss. I am trying to stay motivated and kick up the exercise. I would love to hear about anyone else's experience.

Thanks
    Kerri
  • crosa527
    crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kerri,
    It looks like you have lost 2/3 of your weight, good for you!!! I would imagine the last third is a little more difficult. I just had a sleeve gastrectomy on 6/12/12, so I am just begining, but also want to lose 120 pounds. I can't wait to see what a 79 pound loss looks like! My Fitness Pal is going to be a great tool to help you finish to your goal. Good Luck!
    Christine
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello

I am a new member, I had RnY surgery Dec 2011. So far doing well but I am at the 6m mark and have seen a slight decrease in my weight loss. I am trying to stay motivated and kick up the exercise. I would love to hear about anyone else's experience.

Thanks
    Kerri

Kerri,
    I would say once you lose over 50% to 75% of your weight the loss will slow down some. When you have lost over 75% of your weight it will really slow down. So hang in there and keep things mixed up with food and activity so your body will be forced to drop those pounds. Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • RNYcindee
    RNYcindee Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello, I am 1 yr out now and I struggle everyday especially with the exercise. I spend 90 minutes on the stationary bike 6 days a week. My knees are bad so I am limited on what gym equipment I can use. Any suggestions?
  • Kmags66
    Options
    If your knees are bad you may want to try water aerobics. I go once a week and really enjoy it, good to mix it up a bit.
  • Kmags66
    Options
    Kerri,
    It looks like you have lost 2/3 of your weight, good for you!!! I would imagine the last third is a little more difficult. I just had a sleeve gastrectomy on 6/12/12, so I am just begining, but also want to lose 120 pounds. I can't wait to see what a 79 pound loss looks like! My Fitness Pal is going to be a great tool to help you finish to your goal. Good Luck!
    Christine

Thanks, best of luck to you, it is exciting to see the weight loss. I go through clothes fairly quickly, so I try not to buy anything too pricey as I will only be in them 1 month the most. Clearance will become your best friend.
  • aralls64
    aralls64 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello, I have my Sleeve done July 31.. If it wasn't for good support people and sites I may not be going thru this....Way to go everyone....
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello, I am 1 yr out now and I struggle everyday especially with the exercise. I spend 90 minutes on the stationary bike 6 days a week. My knees are bad so I am limited on what gym equipment I can use. Any suggestions?
    can you afford a trainer who has done phyical thearpy. Or if you have insurance can you get some phyical thearpy and these people will give you good suggestions. Make sure a trainer has worked with obese or people who are limited.
  • Kmags66
    Options
    Hello, I have my Sleeve done July 31.. If it wasn't for good support people and sites I may not be going thru this....Way to go everyone....

Best of luck, keep up the good work!:smile:
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Trish and I had lap band surgery done 8/4/2011. I'm coming up on my 1 year bandiversary and am going to come in a little short of my goal of 100#. But that's okay. I have the rest of my life to do this. Granted, it's not coming off as easy as it did the first 6 months but they say slow and steady wins the race. I believe that!

I have absolutely NO regrets other than that I didn't do it sooner. I lost so much time by waiting.

Hope everyone is having a great week. Just one more day after today and it's weekend time again. I could get used to having a day off in the middle of the week!!!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Trish and I had lap band surgery done 8/4/2011. I'm coming up on my 1 year bandiversary and am going to come in a little short of my goal of 100#. But that's okay. I have the rest of my life to do this. Granted, it's not coming off as easy as it did the first 6 months but they say slow and steady wins the race. I believe that!

I have absolutely NO regrets other than that I didn't do it sooner. I lost so much time by waiting.

Hope everyone is having a great week. Just one more day after today and it's weekend time again. I could get used to having a day off in the middle of the week!!!

Trish,
    You are doing very well. Look at how far you have come. The weight loss certainly does slow down, but you are so right when you say, slow and steady wins the race. It took me 21/2 years to reach my goal. You can do this too! I also have no regrets. Just keep on moving!

Lynn
  • ZenRach
    ZenRach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions for getting rid of a belly roll...

I had surgery a year ago as of next week. I've lost about 120 pounds, and for some reason, I cannot seem to get rid of this roll of fat across my abdomen - it's right above my belly button. This week, I've started doing daily sit-ups/leg lifts and elbow-to-knee crunches (not sure what those exercises are really called, but that's my name for them). Sadly, I think the roll got bigger! :grumble:

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to keep up the ab exercises just for the sake of getting better muscle tone in that area, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any other methods for slimming down that troublesome area. :ohwell:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions for getting rid of a belly roll...

I had surgery a year ago as of next week. I've lost about 120 pounds, and for some reason, I cannot seem to get rid of this roll of fat across my abdomen - it's right above my belly button. This week, I've started doing daily sit-ups/leg lifts and elbow-to-knee crunches (not sure what those exercises are really called, but that's my name for them). Sadly, I think the roll got bigger! :grumble:

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to keep up the ab exercises just for the sake of getting better muscle tone in that area, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any other methods for slimming down that troublesome area. :ohwell:

You are right- it certainly won't hurt to tone up that area, but don't expect the roll to go away. I spend 6-7 days a week at the gym and at least 3 of those days are for toning. Probably a lot of the roll is excess skin, and a tummy tuck is the only way to get rid of that. I had one after I reached my goal and I am very pleased with the results. I still felt like I was still a very large person until that excess skin was removed. I now can look in the mirror and actually think I look decent.
  • ZenRach
    ZenRach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback, FrogMama! :flowerforyou:

I think you're right - it probably is excess skin from being so heavy before. I guess I'll need to wear slimmers until I get to goal weight (especially when wearing dresses - yikes!). Maybe once I maintain that goal weight, I'll look into tummy tuck options. I've got at least 30 pounds to go, so I'd better start stocking up on those slimmers...
  • watchmelose1978
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve on Feb 21, 2012. My weightloss has kinda slowed downed but I think it is pretty much some of my food choices since it is summer for the kids and all we have done is vacation, bbq and be on the road. I am starting my daily workouts again any suggestions.
  • ivy9494
    ivy9494 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I had RNY on Mar-8, 2011 and have done fairly well so far. I probably could have lost a lot more by now, but I don't seem to have an intolerances to food of any kind (well, except for juice and ice cream). I haven't been watching what I've been eating, definitely not getting my protein in, not exercising, blah, blah, blah. But, I'm on the wagon again. I've been using MyFitnessPal for not quite a week and I already feel good about myself. I currently weight 234 but want to get down to 170 lbs. Don't know if that will happen without skin removal surgery, but I really dont see that happening ... so, I must do what's within my power -- eating right, and exercising often.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm three months out and i've lost 106 lbs.So far it's been going fairly well
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback, FrogMama! :flowerforyou:

I think you're right - it probably is excess skin from being so heavy before. I guess I'll need to wear slimmers until I get to goal weight (especially when wearing dresses - yikes!). Maybe once I maintain that goal weight, I'll look into tummy tuck options. I've got at least 30 pounds to go, so I'd better start stocking up on those slimmers...

Spanx is already quickly becoming my friend. I am sagging in places a girl just shouldnt sag :) Besides, I am in the undisputed Queen of Backfat! Walmart makes a decent cheaper version of Spanx and good since my size is still changing. I am going to look into buying some Ch'arms also since the upper arms are just scary right now. I see a good relationship with a plastic surgeon looming in my future...
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just had mine done on June 4th. I've lost 22 pounds so far.
    Good luck to you and God bless,
    Doni :flowerforyou:
  • vmudgett
    vmudgett Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow, great stories from everyone! I had a sleeve done in December and had some complications, but I'm on the right track now and getting healthy. I just saw my doctor because I was discouraged at not having lost weight in the last month. He told me that i could not lower my calories ( I"m at 1100) but I could increase the intensity of my exercise. I have bad arthritis in my knees and although it has gotten better since my weight loss,w alking is still hard. I just bought a bike, and some videos for yoga, pliates, and a ball and weights. He said divesifying your routine so you are not doing the same thing all the time and increasing the intensity is the only answer. So here goes! I will keep you posted as to my progress. Glad we have each other!
This discussion has been closed.