substitutes for spaghetti noodles

Options
hipsgalore
hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
Hi lo carbers!
Can someone suggest a substitute for spaghetti noodles? I want to try a spaghetti bake, but want to avoid the noodles.
suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• BVegasIs4Lovers
    BVegasIs4Lovers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People say that Spaghetti squash is good substitute, but I didn't care for it. It looks yummy, but it was too watery for my liking. What I like to do is saute zuchinni and yellow squash with a pat of butter, salt and pepper, and have my sauce over that while the rest of my family eats noodles.
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    Love Spaghetti squash.....it shouldn't be watery. You can either cut it in half scoop out the seeds put in a baking dish w/ inch of water (insides facing down & bake. When done scrape out w/ fork. Or you can poke wholes in a whole spaghetti squash & microwave for 10 min. or until done. Outside should become softer when done.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do zucchini noodles since I don't care for spaghetti squash. I use the thin julienne setting on my mandolin slicer, but amazon has some cheap julienne peelers that would work. To bake them without there being a ton of water, sprinkle with salt and let sit about 30min, rinse and then lightly sautéed in olive oil. Then mix with your ingredients and bake
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    dreamfields, but you can't overcook it.

spag sqash isn't that great for me either.

shirataki maybe?
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ditto SweetxCatastrophe- julianne zucchini and/or summer squash and cover w/ salt for 15' to pull out juices. then rinse off salt and pat dry w/a paper towel. heat or just cover w/ heated sauce! yummmm!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    When I cook spaghetti squash I cut it in half and put it 'face down' on a baking tray and also pierce it with a skewer several times on the skin side so the steam can escape. Then mid way through cooking, lift it up to let the steam esape & pour away any water then return t the pan & continue to cook.

I agree with the courgette (zuchinni) ribbons, I use these all the time for 'pasta' dishes- especially with creamy sauces or pesto.

Tip- shave some asparagus spears and add them to your zuchinni strips. It adds an extra taste/texture.

Shiritaki/Konnyaku noodles- Not the best 'pasta' substitute but good as an asian noodle in soups, stir fries etc...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    YEAH.. this is my kind of topic!!

I have a "Titan" vegetable peeler set: regular peeler and a shredding-type peeler to make noodles!!!! I use zucchini, summer squash and EGGPLANT!!!!

I will take my trusty kniving skills to that eggplant and cut "lasagna" noodles out of it as well!!!

light pan sautee to help retain some 'bite' to it, in butter, fresh gahhhhhhlic and herbs... My husband really took to the zucchini and summer squash, AND loves the spaghetti squash too!

With spaghetti squash, I do the same thing with it as Laura_beau... but a word of caution... be very careful of steam-burn. Ive seen a patient come in with steam burns of the arms and face. Ive even had steam burns from boiling a turkey carcass for stock - its extremely painful and takes a bit of time to heal.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I really like spagetti squash and I've also used eggplant sliced thin in place of lasagna noodles.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I really like spagetti squash and I've also used eggplant sliced thin in place of lasagna noodles.

Ill purge the eggplant over night with some sea salt - so the moisture gets pulled from it.

Rinsed and then Ill rub a little fresh garlic on each. Layer it up like a normal lasagna... OHHHHH SOOOO GOOD!
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles.(aka Miracle noodles) ..... It took me a few tries at grocery to finally purchase and I love them
    every time I eat them I drop weight ...the ones made with yams
    such a veriety... spaghetti, fetichin,mac ..noodles come in all kinds, tofu or not
    3 grams of carbs!
    remember to:rinse, rinse and rinse to ge tthe fishy, earthy smell out and dry
  • Peg5678
    Peg5678 Posts: 15
    Options
    Shirataki noodles.(aka Miracle noodles) ..... It took me a few tries at grocery to finally purchase and I love them
    every time I eat them I drop weight ...the ones made with yams
    such a veriety... spaghetti, fetichin,mac ..noodles come in all kinds, tofu or not
    3 grams of carbs!
    remember to:rinse, rinse and rinse to ge tthe fishy, earthy smell out and dry

I never heard of these before! Can't wait to find them and try them out -- thanks!