Gluten Free Diet

Options
I have Hashimoto's disease and have recently been doing research on how a gluten free diet can help treat the condition better than simply taking replacement hormones. Does anyone have input on this? I tested negative for Celiac's disease, but I still have heard going gluten free can be beneficial. Thanks!

Replies

• moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the Gluten free diet! It has helped me tremendously first with the inflammation and now on the tape measure. I still eat some gluten's periodically but, I try to go with non processed foods as much as possible. I also highly recommend adding coconut oil to your diet as well as taking your thyroid meds without fail. I started small with the gluten free basically changed all of my condiments and went from milk to almond and hemp milk for everything. I still eat bread maybe once a day but, try not to have too much. Start small maybe one meal at a time. I am currently on the hunt for recipes for winter that are gluten free. I have been experimenting a lot with veggies and different sauces. I find cooking at home from scratch to be the most economical but, I do indulge in a cheeseburger and fries on occasion. Best of luck!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free in middle of last August. I lost 7lb in first week, 18lbs in next 6 weeks (to end of sept) and 16lbs the month after... then it slowed down to 5lb then 2lb a month and then stalled.

I have been having problems with my monthly cycles the last month or so when I gained few pound back and now can't get under 9st 7. I did make it 9st 4 only 1 lb off my goal so it's really frustrating!

I've tried throwing in occasional wheat products then dropping all carbs (white) and returning to the strict diet but water weight no sooner gone off before it's coming back in preparation for next period (only 2 weeks apart for last 2 months). I'm not sure if its a result of dieting all year or menopause kicking in early (I'm 43) but it did work well for me when I first started.

If I only had one wheat item as occasional treat (like cream bun) with strict diet on days around it I didn't regain any weight from water but do if I do it for more than two consecutive days like regular bread, pasta etc for two consecutive days I regain water very quickly and abdomen swells.
  • kadair56
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 21 years ago. Neither my regular MD or the endocrinologist, who I've been seeing for the last 3 years ever told me to cut out gluten. I was reading a book about about having thyroid symptoms even when your tests are normal and it said to get off gluten if you have Hashimotoes and then my new MD confirmed it for me. I found when I tried going gluten free for a couple of weeks, I felt better and my sinus issues cleared up. Unfortunately I "fell off the wagon" and haven't gotten back on again yet but I'm working on a new food plan that will exclude gluten so I can get healthy once and for all.
  • Dress4Dolly
    Options
    I would be very happy to help you and others...anytime! First thing I noticed was a reduction in lymph node swelling and I could breath too. It's kind of funny, you go so long with a stuffy nose you don't even realize how amazing it is to not have one.

Been taste testing some new items. A must have in your pantry for snacks:

Mary's Gone Crackers - You can find them at Whole Foods. Just google it, and you'll find suppliers near you. They are very grainy, lots of flaxseed etc. They aren't like a Ritz cracker. If you want that kind, Glutino has a nice tasting selection.

Udi's Bread - It tastes exactly like "real" bread. The idea of a grilled cheese sandwhich has made me smile for days. Keep it in the freezer and take out servings as needed.

Laughing Cow Cheese - I'd never tried it before, so my sister bought three flavors for me. All are very good and they are so soft you can have with celery, crackers, but my favorite is with GF Pretzels.

Glutino Gluten Free Pretzel twists - 24 per serving, tastes like the real thing.

Hope that helps!
    -Patti