Fresh roasted green chilies... Help!

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
Hi friends,
I got fresh roasted green chilies from my farm share today. Still warm... Right from roaster! I'm used to eating them in quesadillas, enchiladas... Obviously not Paleo.

I have some ground mild pork sausage thawed. I guess I could make patties and put chilies on top. I'll use some for an egg dish of some sort in the morning.

But I'm looking for any other creative ideas. Anyone?
I also have super ripe fresh peaches from my share. Green chilies and peaches somehow?

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'd say chile rellenos (stuffed green chiles with cheese coated and fried) but that's definitely not Paleo, although it could be done Primally.

I'd roast them on the grill, chop them up nicely and either make a green chile salsa, or use them on burgers.

P.S. I live in New Mexico, where chile is served on burgers at all fast food restaurants.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If they're whole, you can stuff them with chicken or beef, top with red enchilada sauce (check the ingredients) and cheese if you do it. You can chop them and mix with any kind of ground meat and make burgers, or make burgers and top them with the chilies like cerebrus mentioned. I put green chilies in scrambled eggs, in chili (beef or turkey browned with onions, a few chopped fresh tomatoes, a can of whole stewed tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste -- check for added crap if canned, beef or chicken stock -- matched to the meat you're using, diced green chilies, red pepper flakes if you like more heat, chili powder and cumin), toss into a taco salad, top ice cream...jk! But they're good on just about everything
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Chuck 'em in a soup or salad. Or make all-meat chili (my recipe uses 6 different peppers, most of them roasted).
  • caribougal
    Options
    Great suggestions. Of course, we ended up having to take the dog to the emergency clinic tonight and got crappy takeout from Daphne's Greek cafe. Blech. I'll have to cook with chillis tomorrow. Lots of ideas.
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Peach salsa with chillies?! Would be great with chargrilled chicken or fish
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Use them in this delicious crock-pot Taco soup!
    http://www.whatigather.com/2012/01/taco-soup.html

I always have to buy mine but you've already got them so you're good to go :D
  • caribougal
    Options
    Yum. Taco soup. I made fried eggs this morning with half of a chili on top and melted cheese, with ground sausage on the side. Chilies were perfect. Lots of flavor but relatively mild.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Good breakfast choice! Green chilies and eggs go so perfect together