"What about quinoa??"

Options
vodkoffee
vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
I've been asked this like seven times in the past week. Quinoa actually makes me feel sicker than most grains. I have a grain sensitivity and that is why I was drawn to this plan in the first place.

Do you guys get asked about quinoa all the time or do I just know too many hippies? :)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is nice for those of us that can eat grain. I am not one. It is the highest in protein, if I remember correctly. If I were to eat it I would eat it with lots of fat and protein. Of all grains, I thinks it's the best. But if your body doesn't like grains, like mine, I wouldn't eat it.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's a chinopod. Quinoa is related to tumbleweed and spinach. It's not technically a grain.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Chenopod.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    While quinoa is not technically a grain, it still has a nutritional profile similar to grains and so should be treated the same as grains. Meaning: avoid.
  • vodkoffee
    Options
    Yeah, I have a pretty simple policy of "if it makes me feel bad, avoid it" and therefore have ruled out quinoa. In The Paleo Solution, Rob Wolff says specifically to avoid it as well. There are just so many people who keep trying to foist it on me when I say I can't have grains. "Yes, I know what it is. No, I don't want it." Sorry, had to rant a little. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i have a box, my mom uses it (she is diabetic)
    too carby for me still though.
  • loseweight3838
    loseweight3838 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have also found people push the quinoa (pretty aggressively sometimes !) when you say you don't eat grains.
    and although not technically a grain as people have commented it still looks and tastes like one to me and contains a high amount of carbs so I have chosen to avoid it
  • bongbunny
    bongbunny Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't have an aversion to grains, nor a sensitivity to quinoa. I don't eat it regularly, but I don't feel badly about it on the rate occasion when I do.
  • vodkoffee
    Options
    I don't have an aversion to grains, nor a sensitivity to quinoa. I don't eat it regularly, but I don't feel badly about it on the rate occasion when I do.

No, it's definitely not something to feel bad about. From a nutritional standpoint it's one of the best grain-type foods. It just makes me personally feel bad because of my sensitivity. :)
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and am extremely grain sensitive so anything that is like grain I avoid. though I have tried quinoa since was not a grain technically- I have used it a few times in it's natural form, in flour and pasta all for my gluten free kiddos sake ..I found it to be odd to say the least . It's very expensive.Not worth it my imo.. and like others have said if a food bothers me or makes me feel bad it goes on the no list.. frankly my list is pretty at that,I have mutliple food issues but I would rather feel good.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! Once I'm done my Whole30 I will eat quinoa again. It is still high in carbs though so it will be an occasional thing only.
  • jamielane22
    Options
    It's technically not a grain but it's still usually avoided. You shouldn't feel bad about having it occasionally though, 80/20 principle and all that.