running after work?

Options
I'm thinking about getting started with running, but I really, really, REALLY hate to run. As in, I only like to run when I'm being chased by something. But I'm thinking that maybe after a while I'll start to like it more...? I keep hearing about all the health benefits and how you can lose weight pretty fast and keep it off if you're running pretty regularly. I'm thinking that if I can just get myself to START running/jogging every day for at least one mile, then maybe after a while I'll start to like it. Any runners in this group want to convert me?

Replies

• JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running, I've always felt the "urge" that I wanted to run but never thought I could..... it seems it was pretty much all mind over matter for me. I started with intervals on the treadmill which were fine & then I tried to go longer distances but couldn't!

A friend who has been running for about 18mths & asking me to join her for that 18mths, finally got her way :laugh: I finally agreed to do a fun run with her. It wasn't until I did a training run with her that I discovered that I was trying to go too fast. Once she got me to slow my pace right down, I found that I could actually cover alot more ground. My breathing was an issue to, I kept freaking out cause I couldn't seem to catch my breath.... once I realised that my breathing wouldn't get any worse & that I would actually keep on breathing, I settled down.... (mind over matter)

With her help, my first fun run was 12kms & I did it in 1hr 34mins & jogged/ran all but 300mtrs of it.

I have lost 35lbs (16kgs) so far & I feel so much better & fitter. I'm sure the running has definately helped & I was surprised how you feel it everywhere after a good run.... legs (obvouisly), shoulders (remember to relax them), core muscles... etc

I say give it a shot! Sounds like you want too... ? So just do it, when you get home from work, get changed & get back out the door, don't even think about anything else! Don't even set a distance, just do whatever you can do & then next time you could go a little further...

Go on I dare you :bigsmile: (does the dare help??)

I really must get back out there as well, as I have registered for 2 runs in August :huh: honestly I would have never thought that I would be willing doing fun runs..... just goes to show what a little bit of self confidence, a good sports bra & a pair of running shoes can do !! :drinker: let me know how you go.
  • Daring works! :wink:

I'm actually starting one of those interval plans today that's supposed to last for two months--building up to running for 30 minutes straight. This week I'm going to only be running for 1 minutes and walking for 2 minutes and repeating until I've gone for 30 minutes. I weighed myself and took "before" photos today. Hopefully in two months, I'll take happy "after" pictures! Thanks for the encouragement!:flowerforyou:
  • JWmovin4ward
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan! Good luck :smile:
  • Finished the first day. Not too bad, but about 20 minutes in I was feeling pretty worn out. I finished the full 30 minutes, and paid for it with a pounding headache that lasted until this morning. Maybe it was too hot outside to be running? Or I got dehydrated? Have you experienced headaches at all?
  • Halfway through with week 1--- it is HOT in Texas. I'm going to have to get up early to go running in the morning while it is still relatively cool. Having to be at my desk by 8 a.m. is such a bummer. :grumble:
  • JWmovin4ward
    Options
    sorry been MIA... I haven't had headaches from running (not yet anyway), but I do get them... migranes actually... I had one just the other week & when I thought about I had dropped right back with the water... so I was definately dehydrated.

it's winter here in oz, but we get really hot hummid summers too. I wouldn't even contemplate running in those conditions, so you are braver then me. Definately go before work if you can, I wish I had time before work, I'm up at 4.30am, have an hour commute to start at 6 - 6.30am... If you can't drag yourself out of bed to go in the morning :wink: then given the heat maybe go every second day??

get that water into you!! lots & lots of water....
  • I finished Week 1! Started waking up at 6 a.m. to do my run--- it's actually quite cool at that time of day, which makes running pretty bearable. I'm drinking more water now, especially after the run, and I'm remembering to stretch after the run so I don't get sore. Things are going good so far--- by Saturday I should be running for 4 minutes at each interval!
  • JWmovin4ward
    Options
    Wow that's awesome! So glad you are getting up early to do the running, definately better then in the afternoon heat. Don't forget to stretch before the run as well, to help you warm up. Hopefully you wont get anymore head aches now you have increased the water intake! Keep up the great work :flowerforyou:
  • Running before work has been wonderful--- I've actually stuck to the plan. I've lost nearly 4 lbs. so far (about a pound a week, which was my goal). I've enjoyed getting to watch the sky light up at dawn and see rabbits in the yards. I've currently running 5 minute intervals, which isn't bad considering that I started just three weeks ago with 1 minute intervals (and almost died).
  • JWmovin4ward
    Options
    wow that is awesome!! so glad you are enjoying the early morning runs & sticking with it. I know that "almost died" feeling & it is hard to get past it.... but once you realise that you WILL keep breathing it does get better... have to admit I have been very slack given it is winter here & haven't done any running really for over a month. I have the Sydney City2Suf this sundey which is 14kms (I think & all hills.... so I've been told) a friend asked me to do it with her as she wanted to walk it. I'm thinking we might get a little bit of jogging in but I'm happy to walk given my zero preparation... I'm hoping this fun run will "light the fire" in me again, as I have a 10km fun run in a fortnight & I'd really like to do a decent time (for me) if I can . :flowerforyou:
  • Long time no see! I actually forgot about MFP for a while. :-)

Currently running 30 minutes at a time-- when I finished the 8 week program (which turned into 11 weeks for various reasons), I didn't feel like I'd accomplished a whole lot by way of weight loss, but at least I'd built up my endurance and torched a few calories, not to mention developing the lovely habit of waking up at 5:40 a.m.

I'd taken before photos and reluctantly took after photos for comparison, not thinking I'd see much of a difference. I'm still not happy with the way I look, but I was definitely thinner in my midsection, as well as in my arms and thighs. Go me! I'm going to stick with running 30 minutes a day for now, and I'm trying to add in 30 minutes worth the exercise throughout the day (like stair climbing, pushups, crunches, and squats). If I can chisel out 3 sets of 10 minutes throughout the day, then I could possibly get to that elusive 60 minute workout goal.

How have you been, my friend?