any body else 'crash' after exercise?

Options
I realize not everyone w/ fibro struggles with the energy/fatigue issues--but for those of you who do: How do you find balancing exercise w/ not crashing and still losing weight?

Replies

• Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I break up my exercise. I do at least 15 -25 min at a time or 25-50 reps at a time. But I have to break it up through out the day. Also on super bad days I have no issues with logging my 'daily activities' I know that is a super hot topic on MFP (do yourself a favor don't bring it up on the main community page) but hey if it is all I can do that day then so what. I won't say I don't still crash at times. But it seems to help.
  • krisjnic
    krisjnic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have CFS and Fibro, so totally relate to crashing after exercise. In fact, post-exertional malaise is the hallmark of these illnesses - i.e. uniquely different from any other illness. So, like DEVLe, I too have to work regular breaks into anything I do, not just exercise.

One technical way of handling exercise is to learn to use a heart rate monitor. The idea is that you find your anaerobic threshold, and make sure you stay under that at all times.

A less techie way is to keep a log of your activity versus your symptoms. Over time you should be able to correlate what level of activity triggers more symptoms, versus what you can handle. Being ill, it will be much less than what you want it to be. But pacing is the key. Some do one minute of 'work' and 5 minutes of rest. Just don't overdo it - anything! - it will only make the Fibro worse.

As for the weight loss issue, calories is the bigger factor than exercise, in my opinion. I can only manage a 15 minute slow walk a day - a whopping 43 extra calories (ugh). i long for the day when I ran a marathon. It's just not in the cards right now.

Peace. :ohwell:
  • sunshinedean
    sunshinedean Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have experienced it as well the best advise I can offer other then what has already been said is "listen to your body" my motto is "do what I can ~ when I can" I used to try to push myself thinking I will work through it......that just doesn't work. I don't try to keep up with the average guy (gal) as my body has limits theirs may not.

Calories in / Calories out ~ eating healthy choices (lower in carbs higher in protein) has helped me loose weight when I could do NO Exersize. So adding it in I have chosen low impact exersize increased by small amounts of duration and it has helped me increase strength while not crashing. That being said ~ I still crash ~ there are other factors that will cause this; when it happens I take care of me by listening to my body "rest when I need rest".
  • Pinknspooky
    Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have learnt the hard way - it is a game of balance like everything else with this condition :grumble: - start out slow and steady and dont underestimate the power of the rest day/days - stick to simple exercise like walking or swimming rather than hitting the gym and trying to compete with the weightlifters.

Also 'budget' for it and I you are tired after your walk etc then have a kip - make sure you drink enough water and listen to your body and dont push yourself :flowerforyou:
  • deb_jones
    deb_jones Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't do any official exercise. Body is in too much pain Take short walks with the dogs.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I rarely am able to exercise officially either. I have CFS and RA so my body hurts all the time and im sooooooo exhausted 24/7 that i can rarely get up the energy to run a load of laundry or change out of my pj's let alone exercise for 20 mins. But i try to on ok days.