New Topic! New Start!

Options
AndreaG170
AndreaG170 Posts: 104 Member
Hi! Nobody's posted anything for 5 days, and personally, I have not been paying enough attention to my diet and exercise for the last week or so. So here's a chance for a new start. Tomorrow is Sunday, the beginning of a new week! How about a new challenge? For the next seven days, we try to do a new, different physical activity for at least 20 minutes every day. It can be the same activity for the next seven days, but it should be something new to you in general, something you haven't done before, or at least for a while. Me, I take regular walks with my dog and play Dance Central 2 on the Kinect, as well as whatever calories you can count for cleaning house and my job in furniture sales (on my feet all day). This week, I want to try something new to shake things up a bit and get me out of this rut. I think I'll go jogging, ride my bicycle, or try a new exercise video on Netflix.

Anyone else up for the challenge? I know it's not a real big challenge, but when it comes to exercising for people like me who *hate* going to the gym, every little step counts.

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Thanks Andrea. I'm in!!!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Sure! I'm going to look through YouTube workouts and find something different. Or actually get into the body weight strength training stuff I've been meaning to do.
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Great!

Yesterday, I confess, I didn't try anything new, but I did have a very long day of walking all over town, burned about 800 calories. That's gotta count for something. Today... Well, there's still time yet.
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Ahh! I jogged this evening and I am so out of shape... First time running in ...6 or 7 years? ugh.

Jog 1.5 min
    Walk 1 min
    Jog 1 min
    Walk 1 min
    Jog 1 min
    Walk 1 min
    Jog 30 sec
    Walk 30 sec
    Jog 30 sec
    Walk the rest of the way home...

Soo... I just did the calorie count for that *exhausting* workout and frankly, I'd rather take a walk.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Ahh! I jogged this evening and I am so out of shape... First time running in ...6 or 7 years? ugh.

Jog 1.5 min
    Walk 1 min
    Jog 1 min
    Walk 1 min
    Jog 1 min
    Walk 1 min
    Jog 30 sec
    Walk 30 sec
    Jog 30 sec
    Walk the rest of the way home...

Soo... I just did the calorie count for that *exhausting* workout and frankly, I'd rather take a walk.

Great Job Andrea. Take it little by little. I certainly hope you're not discouraged....just doing it is an accomplishment. Don't stop...you'll be running a 5k before the Fall!
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Thank you! I'm actually really motivated by the thought of running in the color run next year with some friends. http://thecolorrun.com/ ...We'll see.

Also, have any of you read this article? It's really interesting and I thought I'd share with this community, you are all sure to appreciate it: http://michigantoday.umich.edu/story.php?id=8422
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Thank you! I'm actually really motivated by the thought of running in the color run next year with some friends. http://thecolorrun.com/ ...We'll see.

Also, have any of you read this article? It's really interesting and I thought I'd share with this community, you are all sure to appreciate it: http://michigantoday.umich.edu/story.php?id=8422

excellent article...thank you for sharing it
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a boot camp thing on here that incorporates body weight circuit training. It's killer.

Andrea, walking breaks in running is a preferred method for marathoners, as it keeps the body from fatiguing as quickly, and they end up with better times. Keep at it. :-)
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Awesome, Thanks.

I took a quick trip to visit my family this weekend, but I'm back now. It wasn't my health that was my priority this weekend, it was my grandmother's. But here I am, about to take my dog for a walk!
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    And I don't know about anyone else, but I pretty much failed that challenge. Instead of 7 new things, I did 1. I do feel pretty good about jogging, but does anyone have any good ideas for a new challenge?
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I need to do something. I am in a major exercise rut!! I've doing swimming most days. Every day I have these moments where I'm incredibly motivated to kick *kitten* but they always seem to come when I can't workout. Getting aggravated!
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    I need to do something. I am in a major exercise rut!! I've doing swimming most days. Every day I have these moments where I'm incredibly motivated to kick *kitten* but they always seem to come when I can't workout. Getting aggravated!

Swimming is awesome exercise. And I know what you mean. Usually, I feel like working out when it's too late to jump around in my living room because the downstairs neighbors have children and go to bed early.

I wish there was some way to save up your energy for later, and just pluck it from a bank to use when the timing's better.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I suck! I've been inconsistent with eating/logging and working out. I'm fed up!
  • vipermom
    vipermom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Sounds like a great challenge.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Hi vipermom. Hopefully you are the fresh blood we need to get this group motivated again!
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    by the way, netflix no longer has workout videos :[ they lost the contract.
    youtube has some great work out videos though!! :D
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Hey! So... I completely lost track of MyFitnessPal for the last couple weeks. Anyone else want to join me in getting back on track? I think we need this group to hold each other accountable. Luckily, I haven't gained any weight back, I've just plateaued, but I've been in this plateau for, like, months, and I'm tired of it. I lost 18 lbs, and then I'm stuck here at the part where people ask me "Have you lost weight?" and I say, "well, yeah..." but the whole thing would feel a whole lot better if I could lose 25 more lbs and be where I want to be. 18 lbs is great, but I'm still overweight (196 yesterday morning) and I'd like to be described as "slim." I think that would be a nice description to have. Also, I'm 5'11", so while 18 lbs for most women is 2 sizes, it's just one size for me. With Autumn coming up, it's just going to get harder. Let's do this.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I'm with you!