Advice for CUT?

Options
Not seein' much feedback in "CUT progress..." forum, so I thought I would re-post.

"Soo...obviously I'm new to this thread. It's encouraging to see so many who have had or are having success after Reset. Hopefully I will be one of those people, haha! We'll see. Anything I need to know before I start cutting? Officially, my cut would start Wednesday, but we're leaving this week on vacation and I figured Sunday was a good starting place for the cut, plus my weight is pretty stable eating at TDEE finally. I have a few questions:

Is weightlifting essential to make EM2WL work? I don't have access to gym equipment or weights at all, so if I were to strength train, it would be totally body weight. I haven't done much body weight/strength exercise since starting EM2LW (just cardio), so do I have the disadvantage of not having tons of that calorie burning muscle that others have?

Also on that same note: do you eat back exercise calories in the cut? Or only if they below your BMR?

And do I stay on the cut forever, or every once in a while (like while plateauing) go back to TDEE for a week for a "mini reset"?

ETA: What happens if I GAIN weight? Do I assume I'm eating too much? Or do I assume I should have been on the Reset longer than 8 weeks? I assure you, with me, anything can happen. ;)

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    These are good questions! I will let some one else answer them because I am curious too!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey there, you don't have to lift for EM2WL to work. Remember it is based on your activity level, so you choose the correct one then you should be good to go. Lifting just helps bring the transformation most are looking for regarding body composition.

Ok, so when you are in cut, we suggest 10-15% but no more. So you have your TDEE take your 10% cut and that is the amount you eat daily. You don't eat back calories since it is already factored into your numbers.

We suggest taking a TDEE break every 12 wks. Kiki does one every 4wks in cut. I am not as daring, but she has been doing the whole cut/bulk/maintenance cycle for a very long time.

I did a 9wk reset and now Thursday will make 5wks at cut. I didn't start to lose until 3.5wks into cut...go figure. My thing is to remain consistent and allow the body to do what it will. If numbers are correct the body will fall in line eventually...lol.

I would not change my calories unless I see a trend for 4wks. A spike or drop in a week can easily be water. So I wait to make sure it is truly a trend before making any changes.

Lucia
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    Hey there, you don't have to lift for EM2WL to work. Remember it is based on your activity level, so you choose the correct one then you should be good to go. Lifting just helps bring the transformation most are looking for regarding body composition.

Ok, so when you are in cut, we suggest 10-15% but no more. So you have your TDEE take your 10% cut and that is the amount you eat daily. You don't eat back calories since it is already factored into your numbers.

We suggest taking a TDEE break every 12 wks. Kiki does one every 4wks in cut. I am not as daring, but she has been doing the whole cut/bulk/maintenance cycle for a very long time.

I did a 9wk reset and now Thursday will make 5wks at cut. I didn't start to lose until 3.5wks into cut...go figure. My thing is to remain consistent and allow the body to do what it will. If numbers are correct the body will fall in line eventually...lol.

I would not change my calories unless I see a trend for 4wks. A spike or drop in a week can easily be water. So I wait to make sure it is truly a trend before making any changes.

Lucia

^^ exactly!!!

as far as weights, if you don't have access to any type of gym or weights, i HIGHLY suggest getting an at home power yoga dvd. don't buy one that is meditation type yoga, get a really good power yoga dvd. i lift heavy 3x a week, and love it, but i also do yoga 2-3x per week and have seen AMAZING results!! good luck and try not to get too caught up in the numbers. easier said than done! try to go by how your clothes fit, because ultimately that is what matters the very most!
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I get sketchy cutting for long, even if I do get to eat, so I'm doing a four week cut and then I'll make any adjustments I need to. But, if I have a heavy burn day I will eat back calories to stay above my BMR. If I'm hungry, then I'm probably not accurately estimating my activity level and I may go up in calories. It take some patience to pay attention and make little tweaks here and there.
  • notRapunsel
    Options
    Wait! Okay, I just went back and did my numbers, and it could be that I did my reset all wrong. Oh man, why don't I give you all my numbers and you can do the math to help me?

obv. female
    5' 3.5"
    (started reset) 145 (end of 8 week "reset") 155 lbs
    moderate exercise 3-5 hours/week

I calculated it all in here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

And...I just realized I followed the bottom number in the list of BMR, TDEE, and daily calories (1900) , instead of what it said my TDEE was (2,400). Does it make a difference? Did I do it right, or should I start eating 2,400? For how long? Man, I'm so confused...I probably sound like a nutcase, right? But that would explain why my exercise cals would drop below my BMR all the time...

Could someone help me?
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wow! I sympathize with you! Out of curiosity (and an attempt to help) I plugged your numbers in scooby as well as 3 other similar calculators, and it seems that you are correct that your "full reset" would have to include about 2,300 - 2,400 calories. I'm obviously very new to this group, so I have no clue what you would do now.... I'm just as curious! Does one start to eat at their full TDEE for another 8 weeks? Does one continue eating at 1900 forever?

So, I guess this is a *bump*. I hope someone else comes along to help, 'cause I have no idea!
  • notRapunsel
    Options
    Ookay. So I have one for 2,400, none against. Does someone want to tell me what to do now? Wow I'm confused. Another 8 weeks of a higher reset?
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    per your numbers:
    BMR- 1525
    TDEE- 2365
    TDEE-10%- 2130
    TDEE-15%- 2010

So the question is were you eating BMR+exercise cals? If so then you would have been netting BMR (at least).
    The shortest reset is 6 weeks. You could try to eat at one of the cuts for 4 weeks and see if you have any changes in measurements/size. If no change after that time then go to TDEE. It's a personal choice, depends on how long you were on a VLCD.

Check the home page for more info on the reset:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/

Hope that works for you~
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump for more answers.
  • nannabannana
    Options

Lucia

YOU ARE AWESOME:)
  • mahjohweeee
    mahjohweeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the info!!! So helpful!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Ookay. So I have one for 2,400, none against. Does someone want to tell me what to do now? Wow I'm confused. Another 8 weeks of a higher reset?

How long were you eating at VLC before coming to EM2WL? That will help determine if you need to do the reset at TDEE for a few weeks.