sobriety

Options
Themuseinme
Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
Im a newbie with OA.
Can someone please explain the sobriety thing.
Is it set differently for different folks?
Like obstaining from sugar/ binge foods all together? or is sobriety from bingeing itself?
Is it eating anything away from 3 square meals a day?

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    hi, and welcome to OA!!! I am a compulsive overeater, have been in the rooms since 2005. here are some things i have learned about abstinence (sobriety) that u might find helpful.

For me, abstinence means:
    --refraining from binging (eating to the point of pain, standing in my kitchen eating food after food after food.)
    --refraining from grazing (nibbling on a constant flow of food all day; now my meals and snacks have a beginning and end).
    --abstaining from "trigger" foods (foods that make me want to overeat, and once i start i cannot stop: ice cream, cakes, cookies, candy, potato chips, sugar, white flour)
    --eating whole, healthy foods in reasonable portions (using MFP, now) so that i am moving toward or maintaining a healthy body weight.

also:
    --FOR ME, abstaining also from booze, cigarettes, drugs, compulsive spending, etc--all part of the same addictive path

*********************The best way for you to get all your questions about OA answered is:
    --go to OA meetings, at least one a week
    --get a sponsor (someone who has what u want in the fellowship, and will guide you)
    --read the literature: OA 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, the AA "Big Book"

We cannot recover alone. If we could, we would have already. OA WORKS---physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
    It is about more than weight loss--it is becoming a healthier person all around through the 12 steps, the fellowship, and a relationship with your Higher Power.

Good luck :)
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    Thank you for responding, this is something I have been a little bit curious about as well. I have not yet gone to a meeting.. I'm sort of intimidated by it...
  • motherfloyd
    Options
    hi, and welcome to OA!!! I am a compulsive overeater, have been in the rooms since 2005. here are some things i have learned about abstinence (sobriety) that u might find helpful.

For me, abstinence means:
    --refraining from binging (eating to the point of pain, standing in my kitchen eating food after food after food.)
    --refraining from grazing (nibbling on a constant flow of food all day; now my meals and snacks have a beginning and end).
    --abstaining from "trigger" foods (foods that make me want to overeat, and once i start i cannot stop: ice cream, cakes, cookies, candy, potato chips, sugar, white flour)
    --eating whole, healthy foods in reasonable portions (using MFP, now) so that i am moving toward or maintaining a healthy body weight.

also:
    --FOR ME, abstaining also from booze, cigarettes, drugs, compulsive spending, etc--all part of the same addictive path

*********************The best way for you to get all your questions about OA answered is:
    --go to OA meetings, at least one a week
    --get a sponsor (someone who has what u want in the fellowship, and will guide you)
    --read the literature: OA 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, the AA "Big Book"

We cannot recover alone. If we could, we would have already. OA WORKS---physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
    It is about more than weight loss--it is becoming a healthier person all around through the 12 steps, the fellowship, and a relationship with your Higher Power.

Good luck :)

couldn't have said it better myself :)
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    thanks...