Introduce Yourself

Options
Hello and welcome - I searched for Intuitive Eating on MFP and didn't find one - so set this one up. My name is Brenda Bentley and I am a Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor and Therapist. I help people make peace with food and their bodies. It's very rewarding work and I am passionate about it. I guess it's could be considered by some anti-intuitive to be on MFP as it go against the principles of focusing on weight loss as a goal... But as my clients were using this tool, I wanted to try it out.

My opinion is that MFP is good tool in the beginning of learning to live IE principles as a tool for AWARENESS. People eat unconsciously a lot of the times, so being aware of what and how much can help with tuning into your body's signals.

On my own journey I've lost over 70 pounds and have kept it off with this approach. I use MFP to educate myself and be aware, I don't need it for weight loss and I'm happy with my body and it's not my goal. My goal is to be healthy and fit and I am currently returning to a more active lifestyle after being not so active for the last couple of years.

This group I will help with advice and opinions based on my expertise in this approach to help other people ditch the diets, make peace with their bodies and with food and return to health and well being.

Brenda

PS. Oh, here's my FB page for my forthcoming book: http://www.facebook.com/EatGuiltRepentRepeat

Replies

• doucets
    doucets Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm looking forward to learing more about intuitive eating it makes complete sense to me.:happy:
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Bonnie and I've read some intuitive healing books. I agree with the principles and really would love the freedom of being able to trust my body and my body's judgements of when I'm hungry and how much to eat to satisfy the biological urge. (And use the appropriate tools for satisfying hunger for emotional needs also) I do have to mention that I do have a true issue with gluten so I will need to stay away from that as my body 'does not' respond well at all to wheat.

Thanks for starting this Group!
  • babs24
    babs24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What a great idea to have this group! I think it's so important for people to get to the root of their issues with food. Some people really can just work through their lifestyle change and feel great doing it, but others (most?) need to ask the hard questions in order to acknowledge what's causing them to be unhealthy or self-sabatoging and to overeat/ undereat/ etc. I've been working with a nutritionist who also believes in listening to your body and following your intuition when it comes to food and have seen great results in my attitude and overall approach to a healthy lifestyle. It's mind, body, and spirit - in my experience, they're all connected. Good luck in the coming months! I look forward to your posts, Brenda!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting. I have never heard of intuitive eating, but from what you say, it seems to be what I aim for in myself, so I am interested to hear more about it.
  • mybabyblue
    mybabyblue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I,m Baby Blue and have tried diets for past 10 years I am 57 and 120 lbs over weight. I have lost 30 lbs since Feb. my goal is 5 lbs a month/ 60 in a year. I started with WW then changed to Atkins. This approach seems better to me. I need help with healthy menus for my planed weight loss goals. Grew up in Texas so our meals were deep fired everything, gravy and Tex mex. So I won't be able to eliminate those meals, but I know I cant live on them daily, even though I love it. I can't wait to see how you put this together and I am sending my daughter to this board.
  • slim1jess
    slim1jess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jessica, I have been practicing intuitive eating for 3 years now, and it definitely has been part of my journey, but I was never able to lose weight until I combined it with counting calories. And I really do believe in the principles, I have never been able to follow diet plans based on other people's tastes. I look forward to being in a group where (hopefully) everyone is eating normal food and still making progress.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hi me jazz......... would love to join this group and would like an answer for my problem which is persisting for quite a while now...... when ever i try to eat and reach my calorific goal i always tend to exceed my macros ... so plz advice as to how to keep my macros in limits
  • AncGeorge
    Options
    Hi. I downloaded MFP after deciding it would be much easier to track my calories with my ipod than a pencil and piece of paper. This will actually be my first internet post. I read the news all the time but am not a FB person. This is my first night actually on the site not logging in on my ipod. Looking forward to learning more about intuitive eating. I think we all carry an inate ability to hear what our bodies tell us but in the world we live in it is hard sometimes to pick up on hints we are given.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello Brenda! I'm looking forward to getting your book.

I am just beginning to think about starting the transition to IE again, as outlined in Intuitive Eating by Resch and Tribole. I have tried several times in the past, and have never truly been able to get to the IE point because I think that I was trying to rush the process, and also I was still subconsciously seeing IE as another diet plan, which was not the intent of the book.

I was never able to give myself unlimited permission to eat, which is one of the first things that you need to do in order to become and IE-er. I'm working on that step right now.

I do fear that I may gain a bit at first, while I'm in the first steps towards IE, but I am trying to get over it and to totally reject the diet mentality.

I'm also recovering from EDNOS, which I was diagnosed and treated with 7 years ago, but I still consider myself recovering because I am very fixated on food and my body, obsessively so.

Oh, this was supposed to be an introduction...

HELLO, ALL!!! My name is Leah. I'm a political science student at the University of Memphis, am 27 years old, and have been a chronic dieter since age 11. I live with my boyfriend of 4.5 years, have never been married or had any children, but both of those are in the plans for sometime in the next 5-7 years. Two months ago, my mother (who was also my best friend) died suddenly, so a lot of my life's focus is currently grief. I think that's about it. I'm an open book, so just ask if I've left something out. :-)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I am so happy to find this group! How crazy that it was only started 12 days ago.

I practiced intuitive eating with extreme success a few years ago. Once you've got it down, there is really no other way to be! I got down to 123lbs at 5'7" tall (small frame) and I was very energetic and happy. Once college ended for me later that year, I got very stressed out not knowing what to do with my life or what kind of job I was supposed to be looking for, who would take me, or if I was even supposed to start looking for a job right away! I took a job I was very unhappy with, and did not know any other way to cope than food, since my world was turned upside down. It didn't feel good to eat more than I needed but again, I did not know what other outlet to turn to. That really screwed up my eating patterns and way of thought, and I bounced around 15lbs up and back down.
    Right now I am around 128 and am practicing intuitive eating full force! This is the most success I have had with it thus far, since I was doing it successfully years ago. I am anxious to read what everyone has to say and I think finding people for the first time who are doing what I do will really help my effort! :flowerforyou:

And I completely agree, Brenda. MFP is a great tool for awareness and getting you back on track, but counting calories shouldn't be the end-all for dieting do's. Looking forward to your posts!
  • Dressyfemme
    Options
    I'm a 41 y.o. recovering binge eater from western NYS and have been struggling with my dimensions since 1997, although my current size was gained from 2005-2008 and maintained after that. I first heard of IE when I spent 2 1/2 months in a residential inpatient treatment facility last summer for eating disorders and made my peace with food for the first time while there..... I didn't do very well when I returned home because I lost my best friend of 4 years soon after (she couldn't accept my switching to an IE lifestyle as she was a strict dieter), plus I didn't have the structure to my food plan that MFP provides. I was lucky enough to find a counselor who helped me by introducing me to MFP (plus we are working using DBT). I now use MFP as an effective way to track my food and stay accountable while I practice IE and mindful eating principles. Nice to be able to eat the foods I want still, but in a healthful way that doesn't jeopardize my recovery. Glad to see this forum on here and hoping to make some new friends along the way.....
  • Sbdquintana
    Sbdquintana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am currently battling with anorexia. If I am honest, I am only half-heartedly in the fight. I started using MFP to help me make sure I was eating enough and with more balance. I need to get to the root of my problem and not just focus on forcing myself to choke down the calories. Definitely a long road ahead. My ultimate goal is successful intuitive eating. My driving force is my fear of passing on the neurosis to my son. Maybe I can find some guidance and support through this group.
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Here I am, back to attempting this intuitive eating thing. As you see by my "name" I was really in to primal/paleo for awhile. As with any plan where you eliminate a food group, its hard to sustain. Eating mindfully is and has been how I want to live. I've had a weight problem my whole life and I'm just tired of it. All the counting calories, eliminating foods....bah! I do fairly well with eating when hungry, but its the stopping when I've had enough that is the trick. I really think my "switch" is broken! ;-)

I'm hoping this group becomes more active so we can support each other and give each other helpful hints and suggestions. By the way, I'm 52 years old and need to shed 50 lbs. Hope to get to know some of you!

Lori
  • Lady1232
    Options
    Happy New Year!!!

I'm ready to dig in and get real! I am excited to see a group, however, I see it's been a while since someone posted....So here I am and ready to find friends so we can support each other. I have over 175lbs to loose so I will be here a while...:0
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new and just learned about this kind of eating. want to train my body to go this way.

I am 5"4 inches tall and weigh 183 pounds. my goal is to hit 140 pounds
  • kgal41
    kgal41 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello! Just joined MFP recently and have been conscientiously logging every morsel that went into my mouth. One day this week, I realized how tired I am of recording my food like it's a second job. I'm so stressed about what to eat that I'm actually paralyzed and afraid about choosing what is "right" and "good" to eat. In fact, I'm so confused that I don't even know what a good weight should be for me anymore. I'm 41 years old and my high school weight can hardly be an appropriate reference point! I just want to feel healthy, happy and strong and enjoy running for pleasure, like I used to. Clearly, I need help.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Julia, 39 years old, and last year I lost 20 lbs by counting calories and becoming more aware of what I was eating. It worked, but it led to a lot of obsessing and overthinking. I'd like to take the next step, forget about calories, and learn to listen to my body and give it what it needs. I think it's possible, but even more difficult than logging!

Right now I am trying to eat more mindfully by focusing on eating slowly and without distractions (computer, radio, work, etc). It's hard. I hope we can get this group more active again to offer each other advice and support.