Bread?

Options
2»

Replies

• staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the whole grains. They are famous for causing IBS or other gut issues. Watch carefully how your gut reacts to them. If you feel ok when eating it, then great! If not, adjust...
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    it takes a bit of kneading and doesn't rise like 'normal' bread, but oh man, with some peanut butter and honey on top, I am in my own little heaven! Oh, its way more filling too. Even my fiance' likes it and he eats only white all the time. It has a beatiful crust and is divine toasted. I freeze it in slices so when I feel like a treat I grab a slice. Being clean with no preservatives, it will go bad within a couple of days.
    I also like to spray some olive oil on top before I bake it and add sea salt and garlic granules on the olive oil. Its so yum, it really is gourmet bread!

Clean Eating Breakfast Bread
    (Makes 1 loaf)

Ingredients
    2 1/2 cups warm water (between 105 – 115 F.)
    1 packet active dry yeast
    4 cups white whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    2 tablespoon olive oil + extra for coating

Directions

Step 1 – combine the water and yeast and set aside to foam.

Step 2 – In a large mixing bowl blend the flour and salt.

Step 3 – Pour the oil into the flour, and then the yeast mixture.

Step 4 – Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough forms, then continue by kneading with your hands for about 5 minutes.

Step 5 – Form the dough into a ball and coat the ball with a small amount of oil. Cover the bowl with a towel and allow to sit in a warm (not hot) environment to rise for 1 hour.

Step 6 – Punch down the dough, and place in an oiled or non-stick bread pan, forming it into the pan.

Step 7 – Cover with a towel and allow to rise for 1 more hour.

Step 8 – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (or 180c)

Step 9 – Score the top of the dough if desired. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the loaf pulls out clean.

Step 10 – Allow to cool, slice and serve.
    Eat and Enjoy!

Nutritional Content
    1 serving = 1 slice (1/15 of the loaf)

Calories: 126
    Total Fat: 2 gm
    Saturated Fats: 0 gm
    Trans Fats: 0 gm
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 157 mg
    Carbohydrates: 23 gm
    Dietary fiber: 4 gm
    Sugars: 0 gm
    Protein: 5 gm
    Estimated Glycemic Load: 12

As an avid baker anbd chef. I can say probably allow to rise a bit longer for both risings and increase oven temp to 430 as this will give you oven spring. When you place bread in the oven spray top of loaf and sides of oven walls of oven with a water bottle sprayer. To allow steam to hit the loaf This will give you better rise. still bake for 25- 30 minutes. This should give you a more normal looking loaf. Also a bit cooler water about room temprature for proofing yeast. Yeast starts to die off at 104 degrees. So you may not be getting full performance from the yeast. Combine oil also with the liquid. Before mixing the dough after adding water to allow this to rest 20 minutes to Autolaise which enables the strands of glutten to start to set up making it easier to knead.
    You could also hold onto a bit of the dough for future loaves a pieace about the size of a quarter for next time. This will develope natural yeast strenght over time (about 4 -5 weeks) And you will have a more natural starter. Google Desam bread for more helpful hints also refer to Laurel's kitchen bread book available at most libraries. Sounds delicous, I love bread so it is one of my main hobbies.
  • deebelky
    deebelky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    guess i am going to dust off that old bread maker... can smell it already. :bigsmile:
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :love: Yum!
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat cereal 1x a week and it is Bob's Red Mill 7 or 10 grain cereal. When I eat bread I buy Dave's Killer Bread. Its readily available in Oregon but not sure if it is in other regions.