Oatmeal

Options
bcmlam1001
bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
Can I eat the oatmeal that is in the packs ready to heat with water? I have the maple and brown sugar weight control, This has 1 sugar, 6 fiber and 29 carbs. Which I would do half the pack because I have had this before and the packs are bigger than the regular instant oatmeal. Or should I get oatmeal that is plain and add cinnamon and what I want to it? I am getting a little tired of Atkins bars for breakfast. I get a different pack every week to change it up but want something different. I can't handle bacon, sausage or eggs early in the morning.

Replies

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Since you have more wiggle room with your carbs, I think if you can fit it into your daily carb goals you can try it and see how it works for you. Some people react differently to different types of carbs. If you can fit it in and can tolerate it, then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. You can always stop eating it if it doesn't work for you. (For me personally, oatmeal just doesn't cut it. It doesn't fill me up enough to make it work the carb load.)

Some other breakfast ideas that aren't eggs and bacon:

- Plain greek yogurt with your own additions like berries
    - Cottage cheese
    - Fruit/berries with cream
    - low carb bread with cream cheese
    - cream cheese pancakes (and other low-carb pancakes)
    - MIM's (Laura's got some interesting looking recipes that I haven't tried yet that look delicious!)

Hope that helps!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I am getting a little tired of Atkins bars for breakfast. I get a different pack every week to change it up but want something different. I can't handle bacon, sausage or eggs early in the morning.

don't eat the atkins bars. yes they have the atkins name, but they're not 'healthy'
    they're still a frankenfood.

eat a salad. eat steamed veggies. eat a flax muffin in a minute. have a steak!

you don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast.
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was never a breakfast eater, and the thought of eggs in the morning or solid food in general turns my tummy!

What works for me is a protein shake. I do a scoop of protein powder, a cup of unsweetened almond milk and sometimes a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa and a pack of splenda to sweeten it up (I use the flavor free protein). Oh, and 2 tbs of flax seed. Whipped up in the blender it is satisfying and gives me energy to get my day going! You can do all kinds of combos with different flavors (vanilla extract, sugar free jello) and if you don't like protein powder you can sub a half cup of cottage cheese for a "cheesecake" flavor breakfast smoothie, that goes really well with a teaspoon of sugar free jello (like lemon for lemon cheesecake!)

My absolute favorite is my "Almond Joy" smoothie, you can get Blue Diamond Almond/Coconut unsweetened milk, and the cocoa powder, splenda, and flax. The texture of the ground flaxseed gives you the coconut mouth feel, and of course the choco-coconut flavor from the milk and cocoa powder.

So many combos I haven't gotten tired of my breakfast shake yet!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    don't eat the atkins bars. yes they have the atkins name, but they're not 'healthy'
    they're still a frankenfood.

eat a salad. eat steamed veggies. eat a flax muffin in a minute. have a steak!

you don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast.

THIS! I used to eat a ton of fiber before going low carb... thinking it would keep me full. Once going low carb, I realized eating some meat or fat in the morning keeps me fuller way, way longer. So now I eat whatever I want for breakfast. An ounce of pecans... some coconut oil... sometimes lunchmeat.... leftover chicken sausage from the night before... I don't miss steel cut oats at all.

Although, depending on how many carbs you allow yourself a day, you could add it. I just know for me, I would be hungry about an hour later with carbs as the main component of my breakfast.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was never a breakfast eater, and the thought of eggs in the morning or solid food in general turns my tummy!

What works for me is a protein shake. I do a scoop of protein powder, a cup of unsweetened almond milk and sometimes a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa and a pack of splenda to sweeten it up (I use the flavor free protein). Oh, and 2 tbs of flax seed. Whipped up in the blender it is satisfying and gives me energy to get my day going! You can do all kinds of combos with different flavors (vanilla extract, sugar free jello) and if you don't like protein powder you can sub a half cup of cottage cheese for a "cheesecake" flavor breakfast smoothie, that goes really well with a teaspoon of sugar free jello (like lemon for lemon cheesecake!)

My absolute favorite is my "Almond Joy" smoothie, you can get Blue Diamond Almond/Coconut unsweetened milk, and the cocoa powder, splenda, and flax. The texture of the ground flaxseed gives you the coconut mouth feel, and of course the choco-coconut flavor from the milk and cocoa powder.

So many combos I haven't gotten tired of my breakfast shake yet!

Haha - we are so different! I would barf if I ate anything sweet for breakfast. (It's hard to even read that since right now it's 6:40 AM... haha!) I have what you just described as something sweet after dinner.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Can I eat the oatmeal that is in the packs ready to heat with water? I have the maple and brown sugar weight control, This has 1 sugar, 6 fiber and 29 carbs. Which I would do half the pack because I have had this before and the packs are bigger than the regular instant oatmeal. Or should I get oatmeal that is plain and add cinnamon and what I want to it? I am getting a little tired of Atkins bars for breakfast. I get a different pack every week to change it up but want something different. I can't handle bacon, sausage or eggs early in the morning.

I guess you can, but that would send my blood sugar through the roof, not to mention I'd be starving about an hour later! Some days I want breakfast foods, and some days I don't. Nothing wrong with leftovers for breakfast! I tend to stay away from the Atkins bars, too much weird stuff in them. If I'm not particularly hungry and just need to start with some protein, I'll roll up a few turkey slices and dip them in ranch dressing.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, especially from instant packages is total garbage food IMO. If you are trying to contol carbs you're just shooting yourself in the foot eating oatmeal.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    too many carbs and way too high a glycemic index - oat meal is pure sugar. only zombies eat it.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've quit oatmeal all together since going low carb. It's just not worth it. I'm a meat eater so bacon in the morning is fine by me. :laugh:

As some other MFPers have already said, go for other low carb alternatives and stop eating frankenfoods.