Cereal

Options
I went on the Medifast site to edit my order (need more shakes!!) and noticed there were a few new things on the menu. Either that, or I'm really blind. Has anybody tried the 2 cereal options, or those newer puff things (the ones that aren't pizza & bbq flavor)? I got so excited at the concept of cereal I immediately went out and bought milk.

Milk is tricky. I am lactose intolerant so I am used to getting those weird unmilks. Coconut and rice milk are my favorite, but I used to always get the vanilla flavor. It looks like vanilla flavor adds about 12-15g of carbs so I went with plain. Plain coconut milk is only 2g carb per serving so I figured that is okay. Any other milk suggestions?

Replies

• littleredjd
    Options
    The Medifast nutrition support directive recommends using a 1/2 cup of unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk. It counts as a condiment. The unsweetened versions are very low in calories and carbs, even lower than coconut milk (which I think has a weird after taste, so I'm not a big fan anyway). The almond milk has its own natural sweetness and it is great on the cereals which are also a little on the sweet side in my opinion. I like the cinnamon better than the berry. The puffs are yuuuuummmmm. I'm not a huge fan of the chili nacho flavor, but the parmesan ones are my favorite "to go" food right now.
  • marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This may sound retarded but I ended up being really picky about the milk due to color. Soy milk is brown and almond milk is beige. I just can't take that seriously as "milk" so I won't drink it. Sure, it makes me a picky little kid, but it has to be WHITE. I didn't compare the almond to the coconut but I would assume that 1-2g carb is OK per serving. I guess I'll check but I don't think I can trick myself into going for the almond milk.

I wish I could just drink skim milk again... boo!!
  • littleredjd
    Options
    After you put it in the berry cereal, it is actually a little pink!! I don't really look at it because I don't drink it straight up, so it is acceptable on cereal. I think all faux milks are nasty to drink straight up, including the coconut. The least offensive is the Soy Slender brand chocolate soy milk. Which, by the way, is yummy on cereal and low in carbs. Just not so low in calories like the almond milk. So I'm sticking with the almond milk if for no other reason than I like that it doesn't affect my caloric intake too much on the days I want to have the cereal.
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    After you try it, you won't mind the color.. it takes like regular skim milk.. I even drink the remainder in the bowl after the cereal is gone! I like both, but the Cinnamon one reminds me of cheerios.. I just add a little splenda..
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    The mixed berry cereal is great. The cinnamon one i'm not so fond of. The puffs I don't like either but my boyfriend who is doing the plan with me likes them.

1 Cup of Silk Unsweetened Pure Almond milk is considered 1 condiment option and 1/2 cup of Blue Diamond AlmondBreeze Unsweetened Almond milk is 1 condiment. You will notice these Medifast approved recommendations are very brand, variety specific.

Hope that helps. :)
  • andreardr
    andreardr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat the cereal without the milk - feels like a snack to me and I can stretch it out. I'm a big fan of the cinnamon. I like the Parmesan puffs better than the nacho...for what it's worth :smile:
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Silk makes an unsweetened almond milk that is 30 calories, and 1 carb a cup! I love it! I am hooked!! I use it in my shakes now too especially the Chocolate Chip Soft Bake with crushed ice.. It is like Cookies and Cream Ice Cream shake!