Buying My First Pole - Advice Please

Options
Songtothesiren
Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
"To all MFP Pole Dancers Group Members"

I'm a newbie poler from the UK, who knew from her first class that she had found THE exercise for her. Although only at Grade I, I've decided to buy a pole so that I can start practicing between my classes.

As I'm saving up to buy the very best pole that I can, any advice on beginners pole purchases?

It would be really helpful to hear from people about their experiences, not only with Static vs. Spinning, Spare Room vs. Garage, 45mm vs. 50 mm. Any pitfalls to avoid? Any pointers to look out for?

Thank you all in advance.

Mavis

Replies

• lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi ya!

I bought my pole after 6 months of being a regular at my classes and I ended up buying the X-Pole X-pert 45mm I think it's called as it's both static and spinning! It reaches up to 9 ft with all the extensions that come with it (which is good as we live in an old building with high ceilings so just managed to reach!)
    It's also a non permanent one as it uses pressure points to stay in place, which is very useful if you rent and don't want your landlord knowing you're using one!
    It also means that if you haven't got the space to keep the pole up permanently you can take it down when need be! :)
    Think the pole cost me £200 in all and came in a nice bag with all the parts needed to fit it together.

Also, a warning about putting a pole up... make sure that you check where the beams are in your ceiling as you can cause a lot of damage if you put a pole up on a ceiling that doesn't have much support!

Can't think of anything else to suggest, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :)
  • faeofthedark
    faeofthedark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So excited I have a pole at home now! Went for an xpole 45mm titanium gold in the end. The bf has helped me put it up in our spare bedroom, slightly worried that it might be too close to some drawers will try moving them when I find somewhere for them, but due to the joists wasn't anywhere else. Had pole class tonight but just enough energy left when I got home to try a few things. Can't wait until tomorrow to have a proper try!
  • Songtothesiren
    Options
    "To all MFP Pole Dancers Group Members"

I'm a newbie poler from the UK, who knew from her first class that she had found THE exercise for her. Although only at Grade I, I've decided to buy a pole so that I can start practicing between my classes.

As I'm saving up to buy the very best pole that I can, any advice on beginners pole purchases?

It would be really helpful to hear from people about their experiences, not only with Static vs. Spinning, Spare Room vs. Garage, 45mm vs. 50 mm. Any pitfalls to avoid? Any pointers to look out for?

Thank you all in advance.

Mavis

Okay we're sorted. X-Pole Sport, most likely at 50mm (seems to fit my hand a bit better). My husband has offered it as a Christmas present!

Can't wait to see Santa getting that one down the Chimney
  • Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Make sure you follow the instructions putting it up! My pole instructed me to put it on a stud, which I did. A friend of mine didn't read her instructions very well because she was so excited and thought it said put it between the studs and it fell while she was playing on it a couple days later. She wasn't hurt, but just be careful! It is very easy to put together but don't disregard the instructions! :)
  • Songtothesiren
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about the studs. I will heed that! The last thing I need to get into is Aerial Stunt Work LOL!

Also I've heard that it is easy to twist the pole in the wrong way and damage the threads, so until I get my exercise pole from Santa this Christmas, I'll stick to using the lamposts!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I also bought an X-Pole Xpert 45mm, I was looking at the Sport but it is just a static pole.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi ya!

I bought my pole after 6 months of being a regular at my classes and I ended up buying the X-Pole X-pert 45mm I think it's called as it's both static and spinning! It reaches up to 9 ft with all the extensions that come with it (which is good as we live in an old building with high ceilings so just managed to reach!)
    It's also a non permanent one as it uses pressure points to stay in place, which is very useful if you rent and don't want your landlord knowing you're using one!
    It also means that if you haven't got the space to keep the pole up permanently you can take it down when need be! :)
    Think the pole cost me £200 in all and came in a nice bag with all the parts needed to fit it together.

Also, a warning about putting a pole up... make sure that you check where the beams are in your ceiling as you can cause a lot of damage if you put a pole up on a ceiling that doesn't have much support!

Can't think of anything else to suggest, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :)

How sturdy is this pole? I am asking because I weigh about 248 and I want to make sure that it's not moving around and doesn't fall down (obviously lol). Also, where can I find this pole? Is there someplace online ( I like in the USA). Thank you!
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How sturdy is this pole? I am asking because I weigh about 248 and I want to make sure that it's not moving around and doesn't fall down (obviously lol). Also, where can I find this pole? Is there someplace online ( I like in the USA). Thank you!

Hey! It'll be absolutely fine as long as you put it up properly (: I have one of these poles at home, and we also use x-poles at the classes I go to as well and I've never seen one come down whilst anyone is on it.
    I just bought mine straight from x-pole, I don't know if there are other places to buy them through, sorry.
    http://www.xpole.com/

Hope that helps!
  • lori_en
    Options

What Evey_bee said! :)

I have had the pole fall down once when my friend tried to do a spin, but tha was probably because it was on carpet and wasn't done up as much as it could go.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Hey! It'll be absolutely fine as long as you put it up properly (: I have one of these poles at home, and we also use x-poles at the classes I go to as well and I've never seen one come down whilst anyone is on it.
    I just bought mine straight from x-pole, I don't know if there are other places to buy them through, sorry.
    http://www.xpole.com/

It sure does :-) Thanks!!

Hope that helps!
  • Bella_DiVine
    Bella_DiVine Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I have had the pole fall down once when my friend tried to do a spin, but tha was probably because it was on carpet and wasn't done up as much as it could go.

Be careful if you are putting it on carpet as it 'sinks' into the pile after a few days so needs to be tightened.

I have a 50mm Xpole Xpert, I dont use the spin mode often but its nice to know I have it when I feel a bit adventurous lol
  • lori_en
    Options

Be careful if you are putting it on carpet as it 'sinks' into the pile after a few days so needs to be tightened.

I have a 50mm Xpole Xpert, I dont use the spin mode often but its nice to know I have it when I feel a bit adventurous lol

I have had the pole up for over 18 months and the pole only fell recently, so it lasted a little more than a few days lol! ;)

We have learnt from our mistake thougha nd have moved the pole away from the indentation it has made in the floor, so we should have any issues with it now for a while!

I don't tend to put my pole on spin either, just on very rare occassions when me and my friend are up for a laugh!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My pole stays on spin because that is how we use it in class and it makes it so much fun!!! I have mine up on tile and even my boyfriend and his friends have played around on it, getting pretty fast and it didn't come down. I bought mine off of Amazon.