cabbage

Options
2»

Replies

• MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    hi i was wondering if any one had any good cabbage recipes. i seem to loose the most if i eat dishes that has lots of cabbage in them. i know about cabbage rolls and cabbage lasagna and cabbage soup. was just wondering if any one has any other suggestions. thanks have a great day.

ls

CrockPot.
    half onion diced
    half bellepepper diced
    1/4 cup of chicken broth
    ^^^^
    cook in crock pot for 30 minutes on high.
    Then add smoked turkey necks.
    ^^^ Let cook for 30 more minutes^^^
    Add chopped cabbage. Let cook for about 3 hours ion low. Stir every hour.
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi this is in the pasta recipes thread too. This is a great dish with cabbage.
    This is very flexible dish just add your favourite veggies to bulk up- Can add half a head of cabbage. However the carrot adds a necessary sweetness to the savoury spicy taste. Turkey is a godsend for us dieters but has a strong taste so the spices complement it well. Instead of the separate spices you can buy curry powder and use that instead to make it simpler-however i generally find them to be bitter. This has a high turkey to pasta ratio so should also make you feel less hungry. This is quite a comfort food for me which is even better the next day. This is not spicy (heatwise) but you can add chillies or tabasco if you want. 550 calories per generous serving.
    Turkey Pasta masala
    For 4 portions
    500g lean turkey mince
    300g dry pasta (wholewheat recommended)
    crushed garlic
    crushed ginger (optional)
    2 tsps cumin
    2 tsps ground coriander
    2 tsps turmeric
    1-2 tablespoons olive oil
    100-200g chopped vegetable e.g mushrooms ,cabbage, peppers
    200ml passata or tinned tomatoes chopped
    1 onion sliced
    75g carrot cut into small chunks or sliced (or sweetcorn)
    Soy sauce (preferably lo-sodium)
    Hot/boiling water
    Boil up the pasta according to instructions- make sure not overdone as will cook again for 2 mins with meat sauce at end. Drain pasta and leave in pan. While cooking the pasta, in a large skillet brown turkey mince in a tablespoon of oil and remove to a plate. In the same skillet fry garlic in medium hot oil then add spices fry then mix to make a paste. Add a small amount of boiling water say 20-30ml, whenever the spices stick to the bottom of the pan. Don't add too much water, just enough to prevent burning as still need to fry other veggies. Fry onions in spice mixture and brown. Add carrots fry for 2 mins then add mushrooms and turkey mince and stir. Add passata/tomatoes then cook until veggies are done. I aim for a sauce that is dryer than normal bolognase. Add to the pasta and mix cook together for up to 5 mins. Add soya sauce and pepper.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump, looks like im going to have to pick up some cabbage at the store tonight :)
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i want to try some of these recipes :)
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group! I am liking it already.

This is one of my favorites with cabbage it was originally a Rachel Ray recipe but I have changed it to my liking.

Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients
    Chicken Breast
    Teriyaki sauce
    1 bag of coleslaw mix minus the dressing. ( Cabbage shrinks when cooked, if you have a large family add more)
    1 bunch of Scallions trimmed.
    1 cup of snow peas or anyother fresh peas in the pod.
    1/4 cup honey
    3 tbs cider vinegar
    1 tbs olive oil

Place Teriyaki Sauce in a Ziploc bag add chicken and shake to coat.

Cook the chicken in your normal way. I usually broil in the oven for 5 minutes on each side. You can fry
    it or grill it.

Mix the Vinegar and honey together in a small bowl.

Heat a skillet to medium heat, add olive oil.
    When olive oil is warming up add coleslaw, scallions and peas.
    Cook stirring constantly about 4 minutes. Then add the vinegar and honey mixture
    to the pan and toss to coat.

Remove slaw from heat, serve with chicken on top of the slaw and a pineapple ring to top it off.
    I sometimes add the pineapple to the slaw pan to heat it up.

Teriyaki Sauce ( to cut down on the salt I will usually half ketchup and Teriyaki Sauce to make 1/3 of a cup for 4 chicken breast, That would make the chicken 170 calories.

We eat this recipe at least once a month it is low in fat and high in fiber.
    im going to try this sounds yummy :)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i kinda shredded some,mixed it with shredded carrot and some raisins, packed it in a jar, covered it with a boiling 1;1 mixture of water to wine vinegar, plus a tablespoonful of salt and stuck it in the fridge for 3 weeks... I do this with peppers too to make an orange and pepper salad for christmas. I like it..

Oh, I just count the shredded cabbage a out 18 cals per cup...
  • davidsbabygurl
    Options
    I love cabbage and i love lasagna! How do you make cabbage lasagna?? I am new to this site and am learning tons of new things!!
  • 56waukazoo_KD
    Options
    Bigos (Polish Hunter’s Stew)

1 large onion, chopped.
    ½ head of white cabbage, finely shredded.
    1large jar of sauerkraut with carrot, drained.
    Finely chopped/cubed smoked cured pork loin (sopocka), kielbasa (krakowska, podwawelska garlic sausage etc.) venison or whatever left over meats or cold cuts, or smoked sausage you have – preferably two types of meat goes in (obviously, when you are counting calories you don’t want to add too much meat. Just a little smoked meat will add a lot of flavour).
    1 generous tablespoon tomato paste.
    A small handful of prunes (ready to eat, not dried), chopped.
    A handful of dried forest mushrooms (or porcini) reconstituted in 1 cup of boiling water.
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    bay leaf
    salt
    pepper

Add chopped onion, shredded cabbage and meat to a large heavy base saucepan or pot. Fry gently for a few minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients including the liquid from the mushrooms (but not the little bits left in the end of the cup), and about ¼ or ½ a cup of water. It shouldn’t be dry nor should it be too soupy. If you prefer a sourer taste then you can reserve some sour water from the sauerkraut and add this instead. Put the lid onto the saucepan and simmer gently for 1 or 2 hours.
    Bigos is the national dish of Poland and there hundreds if not thousands of recipes –you can add juniper berries, pepper corns, grated green apple, whatever you like. Its takes better with time, after 3 days it’s delicious!
  • 56waukazoo_KD
    Options
    bump this thread! yummm love cabbage!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use NAPA cabbage the way some ppl use iceberg, or spinach or arugula leaves,
    as a salad.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM99-aUBb-QMDICeV6c9qZIa_e4Vu5FZiQ3IRFOxxMHdBRZbMDcQ

I prefer NAPA cabbage in salads,
    cuz it is very very low cost,
    has a very subtle, faintly spicey-ish taste,
    is crunchier (the white parts anyway)
    and holds up wayyyyy better under dressing than other leaves do.:drinker:

also, NAPA cabbage seems to last longer in the fridge than most leaves do.
  • 56waukazoo_KD
    Options
    SOUTHWEST COLE SLAW

One med. head cabbage, sliced thinly
    1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
    4 green onions, sliced
    1 red sweet red pepper, diced
    3-4 jalapeno peppers, minced
    1 lime, juiced and zest ( about 2 Tbsp. juice )
    1 cup Mayo or Low fat Yogurt ( depending on your method of dieting )
    approx:
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. coriander
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    1/2-1 tsp. course ground black pepper
    1 Tbsp. marinated minced garlic

- Slice cabbage, onions, peppers and add to large mixing bowl. In smaller bowl blend Mayo ( or Yogurt ) with lime juice,zest and listed spices. Pour over veggies and mix.

Now...I am using keto for my diet approach,,,so I:happy: loved this topped with 1/2 Avocado to supply my fat intake. You really could do anything that suits your little fancy, depending on your dietary needs. I thought it was pretty good!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good idea to use the Napa Cabbage...yum! I put cabbage in my homemade chicken soup. It adds a little more texture and substance to the soup.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks, :flowerforyou: Am looking forward to trying some of these
  • Colleen_Maxwell_
    Options
    Cbbage lasagna, where can I get the recipe ?