Breakfast in a Hotel Room on Race Day???

Options
I love that I had about a 10 minute conversation with my husband yesterday about how to make oatmeal with a coffee pot!
HOWEVER: DON'T WANT TO TRUST THAT THEORY ON RACE DAY. I NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Here is why: I booked my hotel for marathon weekend and realized that I might need to rethink my go-to long run breakfast. I usually do oatmeal/maple syrup/almonds and a banana (with coffee). That may not be worth the hassle of making oatmeal in a hotel room (there is no microwave....although I am debating packing my small one!!! I am that desperate!). I like oatmeal b/c of the texture. My body seems to digest it easier than something like a bagel. I could try some kind of bar (like Luna) and a banana. My fear there is, well, my digestive system. I won't get into details, but we are all runners in this forum so we know the risks of not having your digestive system on schedule with your running system. I trust oatmeal to do that. I'm not sure if I trust nutrition bars. They are great for short run morning, but not sure about long run mornings.

Any suggestions? I need to start experimenting now!! My race is October 21, 2012 so I should have jsut enough long runs to try a few different things and find a winner to give a final test on my last couple of long runs.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm an empty stomach runner, but I have a couple thoughts. The good thing is you have time to sort it all out.

I know lots of people do bagels with peanut butter as their pre-race food. Bonus = no cooking needed.

Not sure if you are road tripping, but if so perhaps you could bring your oatmeal already cooked in a cooler or something.

Just try some different things before your weekly long run and see how it turns out.

Also, I take an Imodium before all my races. I've never had to stop to use the porta-potty (knock on smelly plastic...).
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I say do what you normally do. How about instant oatmeal, the kind that you just add hot water to? Or try those oatmeal cookie bars that you can buy at the grocery store. Here's some more homemade oatmeal bar ideas: http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/nutrition-weight-loss/general-nutrition/re-oatmeal-squares
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    I am debating the immodium! I have read about that. I thought about the instant oatmeal - that is where the coffee maker comes in use. I am not sure though if they make it in original or just the sweetened varieties? I guess I could try the sweetened varieties. If I didn't use maple syrup or almonds, it may end up being about the same. I'd probably have to do 2 packs. Hmm..... The bars could work too if I could make some good moist ones. hmm.... I will try that link too! thanks. I just need to make a list of possibilities and try some other foods ahead of time. It would be nice to have 2 possible options leading up to race weekend "just in case." I will still continue to take ideas! :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    When I started running longer distances, I used to take half an imodium before all my runs. Now I only take them if my stomach is feeling really bad or on race day.

Just give it try before a long run and see what you think.
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My marathon is on Oct. 21st too! So excited! Congrats to you! My running friend & I will sometimes stay in a hotel for some of our races. I stick w/ a breakfast I know I can take w/ me anywhere. Clif Bars have become my standard breakfast for long runs & race days.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Most hotels are VERY accomadating on race days. Does it offer breakfast at all in your hotel? If they do. They may set out really early. Also when you check in look to see if there is a continental BF area. There may be microwaves out.

I eat instant oatmeal for the most part. (glutenfreeda) and I take it with me. My last tri I had to make it in our room with warm water from the coffee pot. The night before I had the guy give me a bowl and spoon and we talked him into putting out some stuff at 4:30 like bananas and fruit and stuff like that..

I actually rather like eating in the room so I can continue to get ready, go to the bathroom etc etc...
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    Coronalime: thanks! I may go prepared w/ a Luna bar and oatmeal both, so that I am prepared either way. I am staying in a hotel quite close to the race, so I would assume that they would be accomodating w/ breakfast - if not then they are missing out on a major money opportunity! Haha. It doesn't have a continental breakfast, but my business mind says why the heck would they not open their regular breakfast area up early on that day?! I do agree that eating in your room while you get ready is nice. The room should have a coffee pot, but I will take my own coffee anyways b/c I usually hate hotel room coffee. It is usually flavorless and weak in my opinion!