I may have friend requested you...

40goneby40
40goneby40 Posts: 36 Member
Hello-
I am officially one week in on the Paleo lifestyle, and so far, so good. However, I am in this very unique window right now where I had a week completely to myself--my husband and two kids went out to stay with his family for a week. I leave to join them tomorrow and will return to being a wife and mom. Gone will be the days that I have had at the outset of this change where I got to leisurely stroll the meat and produce areas of Whole Foods and dream up fun things to make.

My kids are not good meat eaters AT ALL. If it doesn't come in a stick or nugget, they will not eat it. The only exception to that are Boca Burgers, which don't fit into the Paleo lifestyle. I took my son to Whole Foods and let him pick out whaterver he wanted from the seafood counter (I even explained the concept of farmed vs. wild caught). He picked out a beautiful piece of wild caught Coho salmon (after my gentle steering away from the whole squid), but when I prepared it for the family, he took a tiny bite and said he didn't like it. I don't believe in forcing food consumption--maybe I should. They are relatively decent veggie eaters, and great fruit eaters, but more often that not the star of our family dinner is a gigantic carbohydrate (think Mac and Cheese or Pizza), and yogurt all day every day. I feel incredibly fortunate in that niether of my kids has any kind of behavioral or dietary issues, but I still want to slowly migrate them away from the SHAD while they are young (3 and 6).

I read the thread a few days ago about bringing kids into the Paleo lifestyle and I am going to try for sure, but also wanted to reach out and ask that you all add me as a friend and help me with this -- I know that I am going to need it!

PS. My husband is even worse about eating than my kids, but at least is open and willing to eat whatever I make. It's just that when I am not there, he eats like crap.

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    I don't have kids but I remember when I was younger, it was either eat what's on your plate or don't eat at all. My sister was super picky, but she ended up liking a wide range of foods because she would leave the table intent on not eating the "yucky" stuff, only to return because she was hungry. Now she loves almost anything. There's also a really cute book called Eat Like a Dinosaur that teaches kids about paleo and includes fun recipes for them.

My husband is skeptical about the whole paleo thing, so I use that same childhood rule: if you don't wanna eat what I cook, cook it yourself. Hubs is a horrible cook so usually he just eats it. What guy doesn't like meat lol? My husband is a big fast food eater... Or actually I should say WAS. The more he eats paleo, the less he eats crap. He still eats the occasional chip or pretzel, but they're actually going stale in the pantry because he's eating them less and less. You might find the same thing happening -- the more your family eats paleo, the less they'll want junk
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    The one-bite rule has been HUGE for us. Most of my issues with getting my kids to move to paleo is removing foods, not getting them to try new ones. The one-bite rule goes like this: At every meal, every person in the family has to try one GOOD bite of everything on the table. Not a nibble off the end, an actual bite. Even if you didn't like it before. We don't fight about it, it's just what we do. I do exempt my son from eating carrots because he absolutely cannot stomach them, and they make him gag, but everything else they try. They've gotten some new favorites now, things that they used to "not like." My son loves salmon now. The first few times he had it, he scrunched up his face and insisted it was "sparlygoss" (which I have no idea where they got that word, but it means super gross). Now he loves it. In fact, when I made it a couple of days ago, he was so excited that he RAN into the dining room and ate all of his salmon before he touched anything else. So anyway, back to the rule. They have to try one bite of everything, and then if they're still hungry they can have seconds of whatever's on the table that they love (I try to have one favorite at every meal). There are no after-dinner snacks unless all of the dinner gets eaten and there are no leftovers, because if there's still dinner around, they can have that if they're still hungry.

It works. And like I said, it doesn't have to be a fight, and there's no forcing, because they know that they only have to eat one bite of the new food and then they can have as much of their favorite thing as they like. I do not enforce clean plates, and I do not force them to eat their vegetables, although I do tell them what's "most important" so they can try to eat more of the important thing (so like salmon is more important than potatoes, because they need the protein and fat more than they need the starchy carbs). You might have to modify the rule a bit to fit your family, but it's something to start with.

And just for reference, my kids are about the same ages as yours (4.5 and 6) and we've had this rule for about a year. You might have to be creative with your reinforcement strategies at first, but soon it will become second nature to follow the one-bite rule. It's great that you had your son pick out the salmon, but I might go a step further and have the kids help you prepare the food. Have them mix up spices, put the oil in the pan, put the spices on the food, etc. Anything not involving knives or the actual stove, they can do. A lot of times I'll put the baking dish on the floor and have the kids season the chicken or whatever before I put it in the oven. They're more likely to eat it, because there's no chance of any mystery flavors. They know exactly what's on it, and they know they like those things, so down the hatch it goes! :)
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    (disclaimer - I don't have kids).
    But I was one once ;)
    I have friends that always cook 2 dinners.

"Oh, he only likes mac-n-cheese". Wow, from a nutritional standpoint - you are setting that child up for massive failure.

We were also raised, this is what is for dinner. eat or don't eat.

I am coming across more people that "don't eat meat". its a shame that all the bad info about meat causes people to really think they don't like the taste.
    Any processed meat (sticks, cubes, nuggets) isn't really meat anyway - it is extra parts from the animal after the meat has been taken off. That creeps me out more than eating meat.

A good ground beef is ultimately versatile. Good for meatloaf, burgers, great with eggs, meatballs, a garnish ;).
  • beckie32536
    beckie32536 Posts: 47 Member
    "The one-bite rule has been HUGE for us"

I LOVE that approach! and it really does work. Eventually they will develop a taste for the so-called icky foods.

I occassionally fixed brussel sprouts over the course of a year or so, and insisted that they had to eat just one to leave the table. I mean, how many kids do you know that jump and down and say "YAY! Brussel sprouts for dinner!" Believe it or not, mine now do!
  • 40goneby40
    Thanks for all of your comments. the good news is that I am pretty much doing what you all recommend...one bite rule (although I will work on making that bite bigger), no clean plate requirement, and I only make one dinner. My challenge is that I will make something like salmon, vegetables and a starch, and my kids eat one bite of salmon, and their veg and starch. So the main calories are coming from the starch (which is why I was saying that the center of their meals were mac and cheese, or buttered noodles, or cous cous).

Maybe I am just not being patient enough, or consistent enough. We have in the past had a rule that if you try everything on your plate and are still hungry, you can have yogurt. I can see how this is just making my kids (my son especially) choke down the minimum required food in order to get the yogurt. I guess i just figured that at least it was some protein (we eat greek yogurt with fruit). The times when I have been stricter, I usually get my son screaming and cranky at bedtime because he is "starving" . That's why I said I need support to stay strong! Maybe I will do a 2 bite rule when it comes to protein!

Please keep the suggestions coming. I have tried so many foods. While I hear the pushback on the nuggets...they are homemade and made out of local chicken...so they ARE meat. They are just coated in breadcrumbs to make them get down my children's gullets.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    What about coating the nuggets in almond flour as a start? And I dunno.. I don't have kids like I said but I've cared for my fair share of them... What about making them eat the protein before they're allowed to have the starches? Kind of like eating all of dinner in order to get dessert? Same concept, different "reward"
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that children's protein requirements are different from ours. They do need lots of good fats to foster brain development, but they don't always need a lot of protein. I don't know a single kid who hasn't gone through an anti-meat phase -- it's just normal, because at certain stages children just don't need that much protein. But if you keep offering it, they'll come around when their bodies start needing it again. Just ask my steak-loving daughter, who barely ate any meat for over 2 years. She just didn't need it then, and now she does.

If you're already making the chicken nuggets and such at home, try what I suggested earlier to have them help you make them. Put the chunks in a bag and have them shake the seasoning and crumbs onto them. Do it several times, and then try making the nuggets without the bread crumbs, but with all the other ingredients. Sometimes kids get this thing in their head that if it looks different, it IS different, and so chicken without breading looks like a whole new food from breaded chicken chunks. If they can see that process of putting the unbreaded chicken into the bag, and then eventually you take the bread crumbs out of the equation, maybe they'll be more likely to give it a chance.

And I think your idea of a two-bite rule for the protein could be good. It certainly couldn't hurt.

I don't think it's a *bad* thing to let them have yogurt after trying everything at the table. There are lots worse things than yogurt! :) But if you're trying to get them to eat what you give them, and making sure they're eating enough protein, that might be something that I would scale back on if I were in your shoes. That's why we have the rule we have, about how you may have as much as you want of anything on the table, but nothing else. Because my kids (and I really think most kids) LIVE for snacks. Even healthy ones. Anything that can be construed as a "snack" like yogurt, fruit, etc. is what they want. So honestly, I let them have snacks during the day when they're hungry, but dinnertime through bedtime the only options are what we had on the dinner table (with occasional exceptions, of course). I never force my children to go to bed hungry. I will let them eat as much as they want to in the evening. But if it's something that I know is palatable (like chicken breast) and they're refusing to eat it, I don't cave. It's easy to see when a child truly hates a food and when he just doesn't want to eat it. So if it's the latter, I just calmly remind them that we have lots of food at the table, and they can have some of that. My daughter never goes to bed hungry, because she'll just go eat what's there. My son has on rare occasion, but he also has a major stubborn streak. And I know that he's not going to starve to death just because he refused to eat one meal. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i have kids.
    they eat what i make, or they don't eat.
    since i don't eat rice/bread/pasta etc, i do make them a starchy side, but they still eat their veggies and meat.
    since they go with their dad/grandma a lot, they give them enough junk food to last them when they're not with me ;)

consistency is key. just don't them them walk all over you. that's how kids get spoiled and turn into terrors.
    (i should know, i was a spoiled brat)
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    My fiance and I use the "If you don't eat what I cook, you don't eat" policy.

Lucky for me he's pretty easy going. He even plans on trying liver with me!
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    First of all, I'm so envious of you for going paleo while your kids are still so young! And I think your chicken nuggets sound good!

My personal opinion is not to use food (ANY FOOD or drink, for that matter) as a reward or punishment for anything. Even if it's healthy. And conversely, not to use any other kind of incentive or punishment for eating what you're served. That doesn't mean you can't offer a treat, it just takes away the "importance" or maybe the power of the food. Does that make sense? You are still in charge of what you serve, and mama knows best. Right? :smile: (Enjoy it. Before you know it, they're 17 with a little cash in their pocket and they're headed to McD's with their friends....lol.)

Be patient. If your son screams he's starving, offer to heat up some of the meat he left on his dinner plate. Take it or leave it. If he declines, steel your nerves and let him cry it out. He'll eat a good breakfast in the morning. My motto is "starve them and they will eat". :wink:
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    Try paleoparents.com for recipes and ideas. They have some amazing recipes and their recipes in their book are really good.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Everything said above. Plus, it's fun for kids to think about eating like a dinosaur or a caveman. I'm trying to get mine more involved in food prep and picking recipes. It works with my 4.5. My 22lb skinny 3 year old could care less and just wants to eat granola bars all days

Good luck!
  • 40goneby40
    Wow! Thanks everyone. I am going to pick up the Paleo Kids books and have my kids cook with me more.

I am also going to do the "use up and replace" thing to get the right foods in the house.

You all have been very helpful! We are on vacation until Sunday. I am now looking forward to having everyone back home again to try some of this stuff out.
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    There is a book called Eat like a Dinosaur..it's an interactive book for Paleo to get kids to eat healthy. I really recommend starting there.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    First of all, I'm so envious of you for going paleo while your kids are still so young! And I think your chicken nuggets sound good!

My personal opinion is not to use food (ANY FOOD or drink, for that matter) as a reward or punishment for anything. Even if it's healthy. And conversely, not to use any other kind of incentive or punishment for eating what you're served.

I couldn't agree more! My daughter is 2 and not always thrilled when she doesn't get her way, but it is always eat what I give you or don't eat. We praise her for trying new things but don't threaten or reward. We especially don't have the clean your plate rule! If you are full, don't eat it!

That being said, I have quite a few kid friendly recipes that I'd be happy to share :) more like transition foods! They look and taste similar to popular kid food, but are paleo/primal friendly....
    I also post lots of my food pictured and recipes on FB at: www.facebook.com/margie.ward1st

Feel free to add or message me :)
  • 40goneby40
    Thanks again everyone for all of your input and advice. We have all been back together as a family for a week now, and things are going well!

The BEST news is that my husband has totally come onto the Paleo bandwagon with me! He LOVES eating this way and says that he has never felt better!

My kids, however, are quite another story. They are definitely eating much cleaner than they ever have...preservatives are, for the most part, gone. Treats are fruit and not fruit snacks. Nothing unpronounceable enters their little bodies. They even like to snack on nuts now. They are still having the occasional piece of bread...especially in the form of pizza out with friends, but definitely making progress.

I have decided not to try to push it too much more with them than I am...I am making paleo-friendly food in the house and requiring that they at least try a BIG bite of everything I make, and keeping it stocked with healthy snacks. I am not ready to tell them that they can't have the pizza at their friends birthday parties...at least not yet.

Funny thing is that in the week that they have cut out the junk, my little six-year-old boy has lost his belly and has a little six pack! i WISH is were that easy for me!!! :smile:

Anyway, thanks for all of the tips. Please keep 'em coming!