How do you know you are near menopause?

Options
kazzari
kazzari Posts: 473 Member
Hi ladies! Just joined because I will be 51 this year and thinking I should be getting close to experiencing early signs of menopause. Not sure what I'm looking for besides changes in my cycle. My mom had a hysterectomy in her early 40's, so I don't even have that as a guide. I definitely have trouble dropping even a pound, but have no idea if that is related as I don't have a lot to lose and losing has/always been tough. Does anyone find they have trouble with muscle recovery after lifting heavy weights? I've noticed this lately and don't know if it is a hormonal thing or just plain getting older.

Kathy

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My mom, my aunts, my cousins, my sisters all had hysterectomies, so I was in the dark too.

For me it was a million tiny things (NOT my period, at first)

for me:

-migraines started again, I hadn't had them since puberty except once in a blue moon.
    -nausea and "morning sickness" with ovulation (which, knock on wood, has stopped)
    -intermittent dizziness-THIS was what my doc said was her first clue that I was starting
    -weight started creeping up, though I'd always been active and never had a weight issue
    -sleep wasn't happening
    -night sweats and muscle tension at night a few nights before my period
    -then the first hot flashes

-and now, about three years later my cycle is becoming irregular. This month I had 1 day of spotting at day 38 (instead of my old 24 day cycles).

ps: I'm 47.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too. I don't have anyone to ask or talk to. When I was 46 - 47, I had no period for 11 months, then, had a tiny period in the 12 month. Now, I've gone 11 more months without a period again. I don't know about any other signs, as I attribute all my strange symptoms to all the medicine I'm on. I do feel dizzy an awful lot though & don't know why that is. I also have a hard time sleeping, but take medicine for that too. I sure dread the hot flashes!
    Amy
  • kazzari
    Options
    Interesting....I would not have thought of all those different symptoms. I actually have been getting mild migraines, which I've never had before in my life. My periods are probably more regular than ever,, and basically uneventful. I am noticing this month that the breast tenderness that accompanies my period has not gone away although my period finished a week ago. I'm sure everybody has a different experience, but I'll certainly watch for some of those signs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Interesting....I would not have thought of all those different symptoms. I actually have been getting mild migraines, which I've never had before in my life. My periods are probably more regular than ever,, and basically uneventful. I am noticing this month that the breast tenderness that accompanies my period has not gone away although my period finished a week ago. I'm sure everybody has a different experience, but I'll certainly watch for some of those signs.
    Oh! and breast tenderness! My OBGYN recommended evening primrose for that. I'd forgotten how awful that felt!
  • fitatfiftyfive
    Options
    Everything you listed plus anxiety....My last well woman checkup was 2 years ago and my OBGYN informed me I was just beginning menopause (I was 53!) still not done. Will go 3 months - no period - then BAM I have a cycle like I'm 16 years old! Drives me nuts because just when I think maybe I'm on my way I start all over again......
    Oh yes....night sweats!
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sabine_Stroeh, thank you for giving the OP your list of symptoms. Now I know why I've been experiencing some of the things you listed. I get the nausea, breast tenderness and the dizziness at times. The nausea might last for a day, but the dizziness is fleeting and short-lived, thank goodness. Many of my symptoms seem to be lessened with the exercise I'm doing 6 days a week, so there are more positive effects than just losing weight from busting my butt at the gym. I can't complain yet, as I haven't gotten any big hot flashes, but do get what I have dubbed "warm flashes". They get worse when I'm nervous.

I have also noticed that while I don't have much trouble falling asleep, I seem to wake frequently, and not always to use the bathroom. Why does that happen? I should be dead to the world all night, given that I usually only get (if I'm lucky) 6 hours of bed time, and I burn 1000 calories at the gym those 6 days a week, so I wasn't exaggerating about busting my butt. :-) I hope the sleeping troubles pass. I have cut out any caffeine after breakfast, and would hate to have to give up my morning cup of coffee.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Everything you listed plus anxiety....My last well woman checkup was 2 years ago and my OBGYN informed me I was just beginning menopause (I was 53!) still not done. Will go 3 months - no period - then BAM I have a cycle like I'm 16 years old! Drives me nuts because just when I think maybe I'm on my way I start all over again......
    Oh yes....night sweats!
    Sorry to hear about the anxiety! I'd say I'm lucky because except for about one month SO FAR I haven't experienced much anxiety. that one month was enough, of course, and that's when I started the bio identical progesterone. I had it on standby. For whatever reason, it's helped.
  • dottiedrier
    Options
    I was done at 46. weight gain (ughh). The hardest for me was the sleepless nights, ( lasted about 4 years) It is getting better, I get 4-5 hours a night. hot flashes were not that bad in the day but oh boy night time sucked. My periods would be real bad. ( like 1 1/2 boxes of super tampons in a day). If this happens take 4- 5 advil every six hours,it really helps slow it down. Then it would be one every few months. YAY !! Then wa-la done.. Oh yea, how could I forget, the brain fog and mood swings. trazadone helps with the sleepless nights. I just can't wait for the grand golden years !!!
  • dottiedrier
    Options
    that is how I was. no problem falling asleep, but could not stay asleep. Try trazadone, it helps and it is not addicting.
  • GoJo65
    GoJo65 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christiane Northrup..great education & wish I read it before starting estrogen/progesterone...while it has helped my 'power surges'..there is far more to the transition that is not being addressed.
  • kazzari
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. I was feeling extremely bloated yesterday and I'm thinking that is symptom for me. Breasts are still tender...pretty annoying. I look into that book.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had most of the symptoms listed by others. What a nightmare it is. I take half a xanax pill a couple of nights a month when the anxiety is through the roof.

I take evening primrose oil and it has helped a lot. I am prone to breast cysts (don't know if that is a menopause symptom but it only started in the past few years so I am inclined to think so) If I don't take the EP oil every day they come back or start playing up.

Good luck to you.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christiane Northrup..great education & wish I read it before starting estrogen/progesterone...while it has helped my 'power surges'..there is far more to the transition that is not being addressed.

Thanks for this, am gonna take a look at this online.

Its the dizziness that has started with me a couple of months ago. This last one sent me to bed. I actually started making a note as I was getting a bit woried and then thought that it may be down to menapause.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My mom, my aunts, my cousins, my sisters all had hysterectomies, so I was in the dark too.

For me it was a million tiny things (NOT my period, at first)

for me:

-migraines started again, I hadn't had them since puberty except once in a blue moon.
    -nausea and "morning sickness" with ovulation (which, knock on wood, has stopped)
    -intermittent dizziness-THIS was what my doc said was her first clue that I was starting
    -weight started creeping up, though I'd always been active and never had a weight issue
    -sleep wasn't happening
    -night sweats and muscle tension at night a few nights before my period
    -then the first hot flashes

-and now, about three years later my cycle is becoming irregular. This month I had 1 day of spotting at day 38 (instead of my old 24 day cycles).

ps: I'm 47.

This was sooo helpful for me! I am 49 and these horrible migraines started coming every month that started where I couldn't see my computer screen to work. I would get the night sweats and muscle tension at night before my period, break out in a sweat all the time when it was time for my period, have a terrible time sleeping, staying asleep, but the week before would fall asleep sitting up, couldn't stay awake. This month I still have not had a period, just very slight spotting. Oh, and 2 years ago I had such heavy bleeding I had that cryo-ablation done (did not help). I started taking DIM Plus, my doctor recommended it, and it must be helping! Oh, and the anxiety! My mother passed away a few years ago, my grandmother never went through menopause, everything just stopped when my grandfather passed suddenly when she was 41. I don't really have anyone either. Thank you guys for all of you info!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I had most of the symptoms listed by others. What a nightmare it is. I take half a xanax pill a couple of nights a month when the anxiety is through the roof.

I take evening primrose oil and it has helped a lot. I am prone to breast cysts (don't know if that is a menopause symptom but it only started in the past few years so I am inclined to think so) If I don't take the EP oil every day they come back or start playing up.

Good luck to you.
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one for whom EP is a God send. It really does help with the breast pain!