macros?

Options
divemunkey
divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
Hi Everyone,
I've been paleo since September, and doing fairly well with keeping at over 80%. Dropped like 25 pounds in the first 4 months, but since then have stalled out. My body shape is changing, and I'm happy with that, but I'd like to speed things along (still need to lose about 65-70#). I started kickboxing 3 hours a week (like serious stuff at a Taekwondo/Crossfit place) almost 2 months ago, and I'm getting fitter, but I'm still not losing weight. I thought I was doing better at keeping carbs low, but maybe I haven't. I started using MFP a little over a week ago to help me along. I'm not sure what I should be targeting my macros at, or if I should be eating more to get optimal results. I don't have any underlying health issues. Anybody got any suggestions?

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have mine at 20% carbs, 60%fat, 20% protein. I think the "standard" paleo ratio is 20/65/15, but I don't feel good with my protein that low.
  • lintlin
    lintlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have mine at 15/45/40 (C/P/F). I am big on protein and am controlling carbs to lose weight.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Bump! Want to come back and read this later because I'm looking for ratio suggestions too. I'm new to Paleo/Primal. Have been eating 40 carbs / 30 protein / 30 fat for a while now, but know I need to change that for Paleo/Primal.
  • lmr9
    Options
    Bump! Want to get this up so we'll get some more responses! :flowerforyou:

I ran across this website: http://www.archevore.com/get-started/
    Here's a quote: "Archevore eaters typically range from 5-35% carbohydrate, from 10-30% protein and from 50 to 80% fat (mostly from animals) but wider ranges are entirely possible if you are not dieting and you are meticulous about the quality of your animal food sources. If you are trying to lose weight, really minimizing fructose and eating 50-70g a day of carbohydrate as starch is recommended. Skipping breakfast or at least no carbs for breakfast can be very helpful. If you are at your desired weight and healthy, 20% of calories as carbs is plenty for most very active people."

Also, I just finished reading 'The Paleo Answer' by Loren Cordain, and it said, "protein is toxic above 35 percent of a person's daily calories."

I think I'm going to start out at 30 carbs / 30 protein / 40 fat. That puts my carbs at 90 grams per day, which I'm good with, for now.
  • lintlin
    Options
    Also, I just finished reading 'The Paleo Answer' by Loren Cordain, and it said, "protein is toxic above 35 percent of a person's daily calories."

That is really interesting, does he go into detail about that? Right now I am averaging about 40% protein and would be really interested in why I should not.
  • lmr9
    Options

That is really interesting, does he go into detail about that? Right now I am averaging about 40% protein and would be really interested in why I should not.

Here's his most detailed excerpt about it from the book (that I could find). I'm not saying he's right or wrong (I'm trying to find the right mix myself). Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

"I need to point out that there is a physiological limit to the amount of protein you can ingest before it becomes toxic. A by-product of dietary protein metabolism is nitrogen, which in turn is converted into urea by your liver and then excreted by the kidneys into your urine. The upper limit of protein ingestion is determined by your liver's ability to synthesize urea. When nitrogen intake from dietary protein exceeds the ability of the liver to synthesize urea, excessive nitrogen (as ammonia) and amino acids spill into the bloodstream, causing toxicity. For most people, the dietary protein ceiling occurs when protein exceeds 35 to 40 percent of their normal daily caloric intake. Consequently, very-high-protein diets for the average U.S. man could range from 187 to 270 grams per day and for women, 134 to 246 grams per day. Most modern-day Paleo Dieters eat high-protein diets that contain betweeen 20 and 30 percent protein."
  • lintlin
    Options
    That's really interesting and something I am going to look into. Until then I will lower my protein ratio.
    Thanks!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too much protein destroys the kidneys. I keep mine between 25 and 30%.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    15C 35P 50F Protein is your best macro. Drink lots of water!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Here's his most detailed excerpt about it from the book (that I could find). I'm not saying he's right or wrong (I'm trying to find the right mix myself). Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

"I need to point out that there is a physiological limit to the amount of protein you can ingest before it becomes toxic. A by-product of dietary protein metabolism is nitrogen, which in turn is converted into urea by your liver and then excreted by the kidneys into your urine. The upper limit of protein ingestion is determined by your liver's ability to synthesize urea. When nitrogen intake from dietary protein exceeds the ability of the liver to synthesize urea, excessive nitrogen (as ammonia) and amino acids spill into the bloodstream, causing toxicity. For most people, the dietary protein ceiling occurs when protein exceeds 35 to 40 percent of their normal daily caloric intake. Consequently, very-high-protein diets for the average U.S. man could range from 187 to 270 grams per day and for women, 134 to 246 grams per day. Most modern-day Paleo Dieters eat high-protein diets that contain betweeen 20 and 30 percent protein."

This ^^^^^^^
    Thanks you just gave me a crash course on new knowledge I did not have before.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Mine ends up 20/30/50 (carbs/protein/fat). Here's how I came up with it:

20% carbs puts my goal at 100g of carbs (2000 calorie intake)
    30% protein puts my goal at 150g (roughly 1g per pound of LBM for me)
    50% fat is what's left after protein and carbs are calculated.

Works well for me, as long as I stick to it and try to maintain those percentages if I eat less than my "goal" (my "goal" is really my max, since I don't log my exercise).