I feel for those who've never been regular

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I was always like clockwork. 24 days. Period (pun intended). These days it's utterly random, and sometimes not even timed to my "PMS" moods. sheesh.
I had "PMS" at about 28 days this time. Then nothing. Then yesterday the scale went up a whopping 5LBS and today at day 51, flooding. Fortunately it came right before my run, not during it.
lol
While I was running I got to thinking about women who never know from month to month if/when they will start bleeding. MAN I have new found respect/heart for them!

Here's hoping 51 is the new 24! (I could live with 51 day cycles!)

Replies

• workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have thought that too. Having been regular and now erratic. Also migraine, stomach pain, heavy flow some women have this every month for a lot of their lifetime. And I seem to have the mental effects for at least twice a month regardless of actual menstruation. Thankfully my memory is now practically non-existent so I quickly forget how bad it was once I enter the 'okay' phase again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have thought that too. Having been regular and now erratic. Also migraine, stomach pain, heavy flow some women have this every month for a lot of their lifetime. And I seem to have the mental effects for at least twice a month regardless of actual menstruation. Thankfully my memory is now practically non-existent so I quickly forget how bad it was once I enter the 'okay' phase again.
    LOL. without a memory!! yes!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sabine, be prepared, if if if you are approaching mentalpause, if you are, be prepared that you may have some massively heavy periods right before you cease having periods. You may have to call your doctor. I was just warning you,
    cuz no one ever warned me,
    and it is not uncommon,
    that just about when the periods begin to get irregular,
    bam, then a few periods come along, which are absolutely frightening, and many women call the doctor. There are treatments for this, including Novasure oblation of the uterine lining, if it gets way too outa hand..

hopefully, that won't happen to you, but, you have a right to know, sometimes, that is the next thing that happens, when periods begin to become irregular
    is "ohmidawg!" level of bleeding,
    and then,
    it allllllllllllllllll stops.

all of it. for good, no more periods, ever.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sabine, be prepared, if if if you are approaching mentalpause, if you are, be prepared that you may have some massively heavy periods right before you cease having periods. You may have to call your doctor. I was just warning you,
    cuz no one ever warned me,
    and it is not uncommon,
    that just about when the periods begin to get irregular,
    bam, then a few periods come along, which are absolutely frightening, and many women call the doctor. There are treatments for this, including Novasure oblation of the uterine lining, if it gets way too outa hand..

hopefully, that won't happen to you, but, you have a right to know, sometimes, that is the next thing that happens, when periods begin to become irregular
    is "ohmidawg!" level of bleeding,
    and then,
    it allllllllllllllllll stops.

all of it. for good, no more periods, ever.
    Smile. Thanks for the reminder. A friend of mine refers to that time as "the epic floods.
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I too am going through the same issues... I had a D&C w/ablation a few years ago. Most women who undergo this procedure normally never have another period again... except for the low % that I happen to fall into... It was every three months... then this last time I went to 6 months... I have feminine products stashed everywhere... this is getting old!
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was always regular. 28 days on the dot - even from my second period, which was a shock as I'd been told not to expect another one for a few months! However, I developed fibroids so, even being on the pill, I was both regular and very heavy. At the moment I am looking on the bright side of having had cancer treatment in the last year - the Tamoxifen has just switched the periods off. Period!

Always look on the bright side....

Jane
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sabine,

I hear ya! I am going into my 2nd 8 week and counting cycle. It is nice but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was one of those who was never regular and whose cramps increased with the longer time in between. Totally sucked pickled.

Now, at 48, I think I could get use to this extended time...One problem is that PMS hits w/o ANY notice...When mom comes home growling/yelling/screaming/crying and goes straight to her room, my son's run to the store and bring me offerings of coca cola and chocolate.

...Yes, they are well prepared for married life. :devil:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sabine,

I hear ya! I am going into my 2nd 8 week and counting cycle. It is nice but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was one of those who was never regular and whose cramps increased with the longer time in between. Totally sucked pickled.

Now, at 48, I think I could get use to this extended time...One problem is that PMS hits w/o ANY notice...When mom comes home growling/yelling/screaming/crying and goes straight to her room, my son's run to the store and bring me offerings of coca cola and chocolate.

...Yes, they are well prepared for married life. :devil:
    LOL. Yes they are well prepared!
    One issue I'm facing is that the PMS isn't quite "tied" to my period now!
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    I too am going through the same issues... I had a D&C w/ablation a few years ago. Most women who undergo this procedure normally never have another period again... except for the low % that I happen to fall into... It was every three months... then this last time I went to 6 months... I have feminine products stashed everywhere... this is getting old!

I had an endometrial ablation in 2006 because my dr was horrified that I was close to mid 50s and having gushing periods. I had been on HRT for years prior to this. There wasn't much I could do without gushing, being in pain, and cramping. I think it was around this time that I starting not eating as I was also so nauseaous. Now, 6 years later, I am having PMS symptons and spotting. I will not have a period in my 60s! So, last week I had an abdominal MRI to see what the ultra sound was not showing (it showed something but not in detail). Now I have to make an appt with dr to see what is going on.

For 6 years I was good, and now this....... Sometimes life just isn't fair.......
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Smile. Thanks for the reminder. A friend of mine refers to that time as "the epic floods.

At least I'm not alone in this! Although I remember both my mom and mother-in-law going through it as well as a friend who had to be hospitalized.

I have never been regular - particular when I was thin (not now :( ) and would go 28-54 days. Makes it hard to prepare for those sudden onsets!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I've been getting progressively irregular over the last few years. I used to be able to track my periods by watching the moon phase. I was in perfect sync with the new moon.

These days, not so much. 2 weeks or 2 months (or more) could go by between periods. I use an ovulation tracking app to keep track of my periods now. I'm all over the place!

My mom was 49 when she had her last period. Here's hoping that I have the same time frame, because I don't want to be at this for 20 years.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm 49. Mine have been very very heavy and approx 27-29 day cycles. Just like August is having a blue moon I have had my blue moon of periods.

My first one came a week early and the second came after 17 days. Oh and the hot flashes - I seem to be the only one who enjoys going out to the pool when the water is cold. :laugh:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My mother and grandmother both flowed into their 60s. So I'm doomed I think.