2012.08.20 Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
Good morning Hatters!

I woke up feeling a little discouraged this morning; you all know those moments.... when you maybe just feel a little frustrated, whether you're stuck on a plateau or just a little disappointed or impatient, even though you know you're doing well and working hard at making those changes.. just one of those "moments", so in case any other Hatters might be feeling a little the same way, here's a little something I found that got me back on track this morning - and reminded me to believe in ME!! (No idea who wrote it as there's nothing indicated.. but I suspect it was a woman LOL)

"There may be days when you get up in the morning and things aren't the way you had hoped they would be. That's when you have to tell yourself that things will get better. There are times when people disappoint you and let you down, but those are the times when you must remind yourself to trust your own judgments and opinions, to keep you life focused on believing in yourself and all that you are capable of. There will be challenges to face and changes to make in your life, and it is up to you to accept them. Constantly keep yourself headed in the right direction for you. It may not be easy at times, but in those times of struggle you will find a stronger sense of who you are, and you will also see yourself developing into the person you have always wanted to be"

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good morning, just having one of those days-on the way to work I was calculating when I could retire, probably when I am 65, I am now almost 58, so seven years. There is always the lottery, but I guess I would need to buy a ticket.
    Hopefully, I will be able to go for a good walk to the Hatter Hit Parade at lunch which should improve my mood. Have a healthy day!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Snooozie and HSHon,
    And to anyone coming later....Good morning

HSHon....I find myself doing that calculating also. You are getting a better sum than I do.....I find I'm on the" Work till I drop Plan" LOL....I'm laughing but I feel it's probably a reality.

Snooozie, great inspiritation.. Just remember We didn't put it on quickly, All the good things you do for your self will add up. Your diary looked great, with your sugars and carbs.!!! Once your body realizes..."She's changed her eating habits on us, we better catch up." It will start falling off of you!!

Well, breaks over . gotta get back to it. Have a marvelous day All Hatters.
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    HSH & T2: i;m in the same boat re retirement; technically I'm eligible to go in five years....but I'm not likely to be financially able to go then unless aforesaid lottery lands in my pocket lol. Guess I'll just have to think of it as more time to get myself in shape to enjoy it when I can go??? LOL..

T2: yep... I know I'm doing well, and Im proud of myself, but was just one of those mornings when I really wanted to see something viable that actually showed it lol.. i was just a little frustrated and disgruntled (btw... can one be gruntled, ladies?? If you can be disgruntled.. surely we should be able to be gruntled...doncha think? Anyway.. I know me, and when I start getting frustrated and discouraged I also become grumpy and then the whole day is shot lol.. so i wanted to stop that mentality in its tracks this morning hence the passage above was actually a reminder to me - fortunately it worked so I'm cheerful again and ready to rock and roll. I AM having one of those days tho.. where.. I don't wanna stray too far from the bathroom if you know what I mean (possibly TMI lol) so I didn't go out first thing this morning for my walk... but I feel a little safer now so think I'll head down in a few minutes... on the way back I'm stopping for groceries and gonna load up on veg.. I do need to find some more interesting ways to make some veggie based main meals tho; I love all veggies but geting a little bored with just having them as a side with a chicken breast or pork or something... but seeing as I hate to cook...I AM a challenge lol.

HSH: I'm heading out about 10:30am for my walkies so perhaps we'll be hoofing at some of the same time! T2, if you find a minute to get in one of your stair walks, just picture HSH and I right behind ya! :o)

See ya when I get back....

Gruntled Snoozie :bigsmile:
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

HSH, T2 and Snoozie, I am hoping for a lottery win as well. I missed out on the 325M so will keep trying here and there. The world we live in today is just not like it was where you retire from the same company you started your career.

Snoozie, like T2 says you didn't put it on overnight. That probably has been the hardest thing for me to learn. I try not to let it get to me when I don't have a loss for a few weeks but sometimes it is really hard.

I struggle with the veggie thing as well. I like most of them but am just too lazy to cook once I buy them. My daughter and her husband are moving in with us this week so maybe that will get me on the bandwagon of cooking again. With it just being Rick and I for a while, we have eaten a lot of grilled meat and a salad for dinner. Last night with C&D at the house I made pork loin, pinto beans and cornbread. Wow, pinto's have a lot of fiber but have many calories as well. Who knew?

I think I will go and make a few laps around the building so that I can meet up with you all :)

Have a marvelous day
    ~t
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was the same way on Friday. My weigh in day. I have stayed the same the last 5 weeks haven't showed a change yet. And I have only lost 2 lbs since I started! I know I'm more healthier and stronger now. I have tried a few changes and hopefully that will work. What I found to keep me inspired and not to quit on this journey is that I go to the message boards and look at the beginning and ending pictures of people that have lost weight I mainly go to the ones that are in there 50's and then I know I can do this. I hope everyone has a great week.

You all should look into a pampered chef micro mini pan. It works slick you just put your veggys in it with a little water and micro wave it for a min or two or more ( just depends what you are cooking and how much), may just have to experiment and wala cooked veggies. It's awesome.

Have a great week, Anita
    PS. I'm right along with you on the retirement. I might have to work till I'm 70 the way the economy is.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hey, I may not be logging stairs, but when I'm sitting at my desk ,( My chair seat is raised so my legs are a bit off the floor) so I raise each leg and sort do a bicycling motion with my legs....I believe it's working, I've got on a pair of jeans that usually get hung up on my rather large upper legs. I'm hoping it will help my stomach, as well, which has started to fall off the ledge.... : /

They are about finished with the new construction, so I should be able to get back to stairs, soon. ......I'm keeping up with the bicycling leg thing though.

Good day to all.
    G

I wasn't getting on to you, Snooze. I know we all have bad days.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL @ T2 - i never thot for a moment you were getting on to me :bigsmile: (but just so you know, you CAN get on me with a butt kicking anytime.... I consider all my mad hatters close enuf to be able to say Hey Snooz.. stop whining and suck it up buttercup :laugh:

Did i miss something about construction being done at work?? I didn't know the stairs were mucked up, so kudos to you on doing the leggie lifts and cycling under the desk! Clever girl!! and I SO hear you about the "falling off the ledge..." I think I should be calling my backside my EWA instead (ever widening *kitten*).. sigh... :embarassed:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    ADiane: I recently discovered the joy of steamer bags by ziploc lol.. since im cooking for just 1, i can throw in a handful of cauli and broccoli and a few baby carrots and even 1 or 2 of the little marble sized potatos (things that basically all kinda take the same amount of time) and nuke em for 3 or 4 minutes and get an assortment of fresh veg . and no pots or pans to wash LOL.. yep i am pretty lazy when it comes to cooking, but a good friend of mine used to sell P.C. so i have a few mini bakers and things I had actually forgotten about... i'll def have to try that idea.. thanks!! And i ttotally understand yer feelings too.. think we're kinda in the same boat!

Tonya: omg that's me lol... the road to not enuf veggies is paved with good intentions - i buy loads... but cant be bothered once i have em! I saw your diary yesterday and it looked so yummers.. and even i did a double take on the pinto bean # then.. i had no idea either!! Re the kids moving in... hey maybe you can work a trade... get one of them to do the cooking if you buy all the veg?? LOLOL...
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies-
    Well I'm back from my long weekend at the beach. Finding it hard to get back in the exercise groove. We actually spent the weekend at my brothers house and we started talking about fitness and health. To give you a little background....I have three siblings, two older sisters and one younger brother(my brother and I are 13 months apart!) who are "ALL" thin (I'm talking size 6-8 for the girls and my brother probably a 32 waist, I've always been overweight since age 13) at any rate I asked him his routine and I was shocked to hear him say he doesn't believe in doing cardio, he goes to the gym 2-3 times per week(45 mins) and does strength training no deadlifts or stomach stuff, mainly works his upper body.His claim is take care of the big muscles and the rest will follow. He rarely eats breakfast and says he usually eats something around 2 in the afternoon. Of course I then watched every morsel he put in his mouth...and I guess what? I did eat more! I was really shocked! I know you can't really compare men to women but it was an eye opener for me, not that I agree %100 with his routine(but it works for him).

If anyone would like to read some really nice motivational postings, look at my friends list and friend Laney540, I even copy and paste her postings for future reading!

Well have a great week everyone!
    Annamay
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Welcome back Mazie!! Glad you had a nice time at the beach .... and I agree.. interesting on your brothers method! I work in an environment of almost all men; and they will decide to have a contest to lose 20lbs.. so all they do is stop drinking beer.. and in about a week each of them have lost like 15 lbs.. it makes me crazy LOLOLOL... i know it always seems easier for men to drop weight than us.. i dunno if its true it IS easier.. but sometimes i believe it... but what matters most is that he's comfortable doing what works for him.... there are so many thoughts and ideas and beliefs about nutrition and weight loss out there, i applaud anyone who can figure out whats good for them and sticks with it!
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Anita, I am right there with you on the weight loss. I have given up on weekly weigh ins. Stepped on the sclae this AM for the first time in a month. No weight loss, but I see my endurance has increased, more toned & feeling great, so all is good. Retirement for me only in my dreams, I would get depressed trying to figure it out. I am caregiver & provide a home for my 84yo mother. Stuck working to pay expences on this large home untill she is not able to live here anymore. I have been in this position now for 19 years. Some times it gets me down, but I have not choice (my only sibbling passed away 2 years ago). Thank goodness for my 18yo, he is a huge help. Mom never drove, so he helps with medical appointments now that he is a licensed driver.

Have any of you made a bucket list? I have been working on mine & have crossed a few items off of it. Now planning some hikes in the White Mountains for the fall. I am so excited. Who would have ever thought I would be hiking. I have a week off in September, October and November. Starting off small & will try a 4000 footer in October if all goes well in my September hike.
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    Bisland, you had a choice and you chose to share your life and home with your mother, it was a choice that you made of love, I can imagine that there are times when you experience how difficult that choice has been. There are people who walk away from their parents. When you say that you had no choice, I think you are not giving yourself enough credit for the sacrifices that you have made. The fact that your 18 yr old son now helps with his grandmother's appointments is an indication that you have shared these family values with the next generation. Congratulations for walking the walk! Especially now that you are ready to climb mountains!
    I have returned to weekly weigh ins because I am trying to take the power away from those numbers. For a while I only used the scale at the doctor's office. One time i went in to the office feeling great, when I learned I had lost 15 lbs in 3 months I burst into tears and after the appointment I went and bought lots of junk food to binge because I thought I should have lost at least 20.
    Haven't thought about a bucket list, I have been very fortunate in getting to do many things that I could not have imagined when i was growing up in my Baltimore row house. Seeing the orioles win a world series at Camden yards is a dream, being able to wear the shorts that I wore the last time the o's were in the world series , 1983, that would be priceless! The way things are going I will be in the shorts before the o's are in the series!
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pepp talk hairspray. I know things could be worse & in many ways my life is better than it has ever been. Mom does have her own apartment in the house, but getting dementia. She gets in a panic over little things, like my being 10 minutes late in returning from my walk/jog & constantly misinterperting things that are said. I am greatfull to have my son & BF to help (he takes care of his 86 yo mother so understads what I go thru).

Congrats on the story about the shorts. It appears you are getting close. 15lb in 3 months is an great acheivement. It is funny how we are the hardest on ourselves.

Well hope everyone has a great day. I will check in more later.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, Hatters!

I spent some time trolling through some food diaries last night (I do that a lot to for learning, and to get ideas for myself lol) and wow.. I'm thrilled and amazed at how well everyone is doing with making good choices!! And moving! Obviously I don't know what each of them looked like a few weeks or months ago, but I suspect - if we were all to look back at our own food and exercise diaries from the day we joined MFP.... we'd be doing the happy feet dance this morning with pride!!! How awesome is it that we ARE doing it... .just weeks into it, the changes we've made already ARE becoming new habits..... and the best is yet to come... so

YAY US!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

IPOM...., and a huge IPOU to each of you who have helped me progress with your willingness to share your own struggles, excitement and encouragement for each of us here... !!! MAD HATTERS ROCK!!!:happy:
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Morning my friends,

I read over these posts every morning and I am amazed at how much we are alike even though we are so far apart.

Mazie, welcome back from the beach. I miss my time there already.

Bis, You have made a wonderful choice to take of your Mom and from the sounds of it your son and BF are a great support team. We take care of my hubby's brother who has dementia and it can be very taxing. Especially with the confusion and repeating of conversations. As for the bucket list, I hadn't really thought much about it. I have been so fortunate to do so many things in my life. I really should compile a list.

HSH- I too weigh in every week officially. It keeps me accountable and helps me not let things get too out of hand. I love the story of the shorts..lol I have a dress that I would like to fit into one day in the near future. As it is, I need to buy new winter clothes..not that we get a really cold winter here in Georgia, but winter clothes none the less. I will be thrift store shopping soon once we get this move completed.

Snoozie, I was amazed at the amount of calories that I ate prior to MFP. Once I started logging what I ate on my "new plan" and compared it to what I was eating on a normal "old" day it blew me away. Not once did I ever stop to think that 2 sausage and cheese muffins would have over 700 calories and 1200mg of sodium. That was a normal breakfast for me almost daily. Now, I think about what goes in my mouth in such a different light. I still don't always make the best choices but I know I make much better choices than before.

So, my daughter and her husband are a few days closer to getting moved in. We worked on sorting through closets and such and now need to finish painting two rooms. I am thankful that when we bought this house almost 10 years ago that it had an in-law-suite. I believe that Rick and I are going to move into it and give the top floor to C&D. It seems like an odd choice to some but I think it will work out for the best and it also means that I will have less space to clean! Hehe, there is a method to my madness. I am hoping that in a few years Rick and I won't even be living in the house and we will be walking the beaches of AMI every morning. I guess that should be number one on my bucket list Bis!

Here's a huge IPOU and thanks for the friendship!
    ~t
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    Good morning hatters,
    Missed body pump today but have a legit excuse. Mother in law taken to hospital in ambulance yesterday, so long night and early morning, still nothing but tests. My husband and his brother need to make some tough decisions. His dad has dementia and his mom canT handle their situation any more. the parents have been unwilling to talk about leaving their home, and have rejected every time we suggest any living change. But I am not going to use this situation as an excuse to make unhealthy choices, I will do a substitute for my body pump class.
    I didn't use mfp until I established healthy eating habits, but I know what I would eat and I think I will fill in a day like that just for a reminder of the junk that I used to eat.
    Just got an invitation to the best clothes sale of the year. Its the johns Hopkins best dressed sale. The doctors wives donate clothes, I have not gone in years because there is nothing over a size 16,. So.the first weekend of October, I will be filling in my winter wardrobe, when i ask someone to go with me, I will make sure the friend is no bigger than a size 12 because I don't want to be fighting over a designer dress,LOL,
    Wish I had time to comment on all of your posts, I will catch up later,
    Be good to yourselves, Janet
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    For the ladies with elderly parents...

I know what you're going through - been there, done that.....

My father passed when I was in my mid-20s from lupus... he's in a better place

My mom passed in January 2005 - from dementia - she was in a nursing home (best and worst decision of my life) - I like to think she and my Dad are in heaven watching over me.....

Blesssings are coming your way.

Carol
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Haven't checked in for a few days. We had our Back-To-School Staff meeting today. I'm a school nurse. It was six hours of compliance training and some even MORE boring stuff. School starts on Monday - Ready or not. It looks like everyone has been busy. WTG to all of you who have been getting your exercise in and eating right. "You Can Do It!" to those who are trying. My heart goes out to those with elderly parents. My husband and I lost three of our parents in four years in three equally horrible, yet different ways. If anyone wants BTDT advice or is looking for resources, please let me know. I got good at it then didn't need to know it anymore.

have a great day!

Kobie/Cheryl F.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    evening hatters..

long day, tired puppy so will save post for tomorrow, but wanted to take a quick note to say to HSH and Bis thoughts are with you both; hope you MIL is ok HSH and yes.. lots of tough decisions coming... Bis - know exactly what you're going thru; also been in the same position was caregiver for both my parents at different times and spent years in hospitals and nursing homes - like kobie am well versed sadly by experience in much of the difficulties, but unlike K, can't offer any advice as I think things run differently in Canada in regards to resources and placements and eligiblity and finacially and everything else... so will just offer a hug and understanding if either or both of you or HSH ever need to vent or just talk it out...

HSH: well, I gues I can't go with you on the shopping spree lol.... cause I'm nowhere NEAR being under a 12.... LOLOLOL but so glad you're gonna get a chance to go to what sounds like an awesome sale...!!

Tonya.. love the idea of possibily you and hubby moving upstairs.. briliiant on the method to your madness lol and will keep fingers crossed for you!

KM sounds like you had a rough first day back at school lol.. glad u got thru it..

Spent the day taking my 85 year old senior friend to the doc (her daughter and I were best friends for 20 yrs from the day we met when we stood in line behind each other the first day of college, then had a falling out when she took off to find herself when she hit 35) so I've known Betty for years; but both her adult children moved out of province and 1 out of the country and left her alone for the past 10 years, so I help her out as much as possible with groceries, doctors, hospital stays, fixing things in the house, etc. Anyway, did all the chores this morning then took her for a long drive in the country and lunch out; (yeah that was a fun food diary entry to make .. NOT!!!) and was almost dinner time by the time I got home and hadnt gotten my walk in before the 9am doc appt for her; so did go down to the lake tonite and get in 45 min... oh yeah.. and while we were waiting for the doc i hopped on the scales in his office..... and was THRILLED to see I have apparently GAINED 2 lbs... sigh... im chalking it up to his scales obviously not having been calibrated lately..... and i'm sticking with that story... (at least til morning cause wed are my weigh in day!! LOLOL.. too funny...... timing is everything, eh?

nite nite hatters... yawn..... sleep welll zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Good morning Hatters!

Mid-week ... or almost to the weekend lol.. whichever makes ya feel better!

I hopped on the scales this morning and still showing up but only a pound now.. still sucked having to type it in tho LOLOL

I'm off to the lake for my walk... its a gorgeous day here so looking forward to getting down there - catch ya'll when I get back...

(Got my playlist in my pocket so I'll be singling out loud.. hope I dont scare the poor geese LOL):huh: