Before 30 Bucket List, What is on yours?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I turn 30 in October, so not much time... here are my plans:

1. Finish up my Master's degree
    2. Get back into knitting and photography
    3. Visit my friend in Maine
    4. Take the dogs to Doggie Day Swim, where the city lets dogs swim in the pools before they close them.
    5. See one of the operas at the Kennedy Center
    6. Start doing Bikram yoga again
    7. Tailor some of my clothes
    8. Go to a few concerts (already have tickets for Madonna, Beth Orton, Sharon Von Ettan)
    9. Get my girlfriend to go apple picking with me
    10. Have a BBQ
    11. Buy soybeans and make my own tofu
    12. Take the Italian Renaissance tour at the National Gallery of Art
    13. Enroll in Italian Level II and practice a lot so I get really good at it!
    14. Refinance our mortgage

Sorry, this turned into more of a to-do list than a bucket list. :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a quicky nosey Q... a few of your state 'finish degree' or 'graduate' as things to do before thirty...

At what age do you start university in the States? I take it that it must be later than here?

In the UK we start at 18 and it's three intensive years for a Bachelors - 4 years if you do languages like I did as you have to go and spend the third year in the language country either in work placement or at uni. It's 7 years for medicine, vet science and architecture. Then it's another year for a Masters. Another three years for a PhD. You HAVE to do your exams at the end of each year, it's not like in mainland Europe where you can skip an exam and take it a few months later in the next sitting if you don't feel like it. Here if you fail...you fail!

The reason I ask is i've heard that going to uni (or college as I think you guys call it!) is really expensive - as in far more expensive than here. Here we pay £6k a year for tuition plus rent for hall of residence plus living expenditure... this is itself is far more expensive than mainland Europe, We do not have private unis in the UK - all charge fees at the level set by the government.

Anyway....that's just me being nosy! Never been to the States - only know stuff from TV! :) May get over there one day, but fancy South America first...love experiencing new cultures and learning new languages....and I guess the US and UK are quite similar! My other half did a 3 week roadtrip your way last year though and loved it - flew into San Francisco, then onto Lake Tahoe to ski, the Death Valley, Grand Canyon, LV, then flew out of LA - was rather jealous!

I started undergraduate at age 18, which is typical. The engineering curriculum is very rigorous and you need 4-5 years to get through it. After graduating I worked for a couple years before enrolling in grad school part-time. Most employers won't reimburse you for tuition unless you've been at the company at least a year, and they require that you work full time while going to school. I mostly stuck to one class a semester, and sometimes had to take a semester off because I knew I'd be traveling a lot for work. So it took a while to get through it.
  • ehilgenberg10
    ehilgenberg10 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love this. Earlier this year I made myself a 30 by 30 list. I've done very little on it. Number One on my list was to lose the weight by 30 so that's what I'm focusing on. I want to at least be able to SEE my goal by my birthday in November. What I have left on my list:

1. Renew my passport
    2. Get rid of all the junk I have all around my house.
    3. Invest some money.
    4. Take a road trip
    5. Ride a mechanical bull (I'm not actually sure I want to do this but we'll see).
    6. Get a massage
    7. Start the short sale for our condo so we can start looking for a home and have a home before my husband is 30 :).

Hm. I guess I've done more on my list than i originally thought :).
  • Crystle23
    Options
    I want to see the ocean! But I don't know if that is do-able before my 30th birthday in February. Also, I would like to see 120 lbs again. . . :wink:

You could totally see the ocean!!
    What if you had to pick someone up at Myrtle Beach (for example) make it a long weekend trip and drive there, make it happen!! You can do it :D
  • Crystle23
    Options
    Can I ask a quicky nosey Q... a few of your state 'finish degree' or 'graduate' as things to do before thirty...

At what age do you start university in the States? I take it that it must be later than here?

In the UK we start at 18 and it's three intensive years for a Bachelors - 4 years if you do languages like I did as you have to go and spend the third year in the language country either in work placement or at uni. It's 7 years for medicine, vet science and architecture. Then it's another year for a Masters. Another three years for a PhD. You HAVE to do your exams at the end of each year, it's not like in mainland Europe where you can skip an exam and take it a few months later in the next sitting if you don't feel like it. Here if you fail...you fail!

The reason I ask is i've heard that going to uni (or college as I think you guys call it!) is really expensive - as in far more expensive than here. Here we pay £6k a year for tuition plus rent for hall of residence plus living expenditure... this is itself is far more expensive than mainland Europe, We do not have private unis in the UK - all charge fees at the level set by the government.

Anyway....that's just me being nosy! Never been to the States - only know stuff from TV! :) May get over there one day, but fancy South America first...love experiencing new cultures and learning new languages....and I guess the US and UK are quite similar! My other half did a 3 week roadtrip your way last year though and loved it - flew into San Francisco, then onto Lake Tahoe to ski, the Death Valley, Grand Canyon, LV, then flew out of LA - was rather jealous!

Heres the thing, it is typical to start at 18. But not everyone has that opportunity, they cant pay it, or they werent raised in a good home that encourages it, so we wait. I did not even graduate HS, it was not top on my list, however I did get my GED before my class graduated.

I started college when I was 25 after I had two kids. I am an unconventional student but I am proud to be where I am. Also, I am not at a University, I am at a community college. They only offer Associate's degrees. I have been in school forever (because of the prerequisites) to get my nursing degree--I will be a registered nurse. However, I will be transferring to a University to get my bachelor's in nursing.

Do people go back to school later in the UK?
  • apak32
    apak32 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 28 so I have 2 years to go. My top 5 in no particular order...

1. Be almost complete with my MBA
    2. Have around 10-12% BF
    3. Take an extended trip to Europe, Australia, or somewhere in Asia
    4. Get married
    5. Pick up another hobby that doesn't require snow
  • berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site. I turn 30 in june of 2013. I really just want to look good in skinny jeans. I will have my A.A after this semester. I guess I'd like to get accepted into Nursing school too! Just saying. Hmmm