2012.08.20 Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter

Options

Replies

• tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Morning my friends,

The last time I weighed in was August 1 and today it shows a loss of .09 pounds. So today, after all this time, vacation, a death in the family and an unplanned move by my daughter and her husband into my house was a great eye opener for me. It means that I have learned much here on MFP. I may not be the fastest mover as far as weight loss goes but I am learning to change my habits. To me, that is oh so important. I could not have done it without all of you my Dear Mad Hatters. . For that, I am truly grateful.

We can make this happen together and lean on each other in good times and bad. As women of a certain age, we know that we are smart, kind and caring but sometimes it is nice to hear it from others. I think this is what this group of women is all about. A group of strangers, (now friends) making a difference in someone else's life.

Sorry to be so sappy, but I am truly grateful for all of you!

Have a great day everyone,
    ~t

PS- I will be moving into the in-law suite......lol A few adjustments due to over sized furniture and our sitting room now becomes the bedroom complete with a nice gas fireplace. The bedroom becomes the office/sitting room and so much less to clean. I am in heaven!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Beautifully said T... and absolutely spot on; the most important goal we have is to learn and change our habits to a lifestyle of healthy and fit... and the weight loss will come as a result of those changes... and right back at ya with the gratitude from me!

The lake was GORGEOUS this morning; very still and calm.. just a couple of other walkers about here and there (and a puppy who let me give him a belly rub lol) but it was so serene I didn't pull out my playlist, just enjoyed the sounds and sights... was just the right way to start my day! Heading out shortly to take care of some chores, but I wanted to ask something of the Hatters..

(btw.. on an off note..has anyone else noticed it says our group has 47 members?? I know many people arent into posting in groups, and we're just fine with anyone who might be just enjoying popping in and reading what's going on in the Hatters, but to any of the 36 or so we haven't met, just know you can feel free to just say hi if you'd like some time.. no pressures to post or anything, we'd just like to know ya a little.. but if not, no worries at all... lol!

So.. here's my question.. but I'm a little afraid to ask it... as I've been trolling thru numerous peoples diaries (not just the Hatters btw lol) and reading a lot of the topics on the forum.. I'm getting more and more confused.. there seem to be a lot of different ideas about what's right and whats wrong.. and some people are pretty vehement about their way being right lol ... now I'm a firm believer in everyone doing whatever is right for them.. we all know our own bodies, and whats best for us.. but I think I'm going to have to go thru some trial and error to find mine.. hence why I'd like to ask the Hatters.... if you follow the "eat back your calories" guidelines? I am just asking to learn more and make my own decisiosn.. ; but after seeing some of the more aggressive posts elsewhere, I also don't want to start anything in our group that might upset any of us... so a) if you'd rather not answer here, I completely understand lol.... but I really would like to know so if you wouldnt mind sending a PM even? I had decided to change my own numbers to one other theory on here (about eating now for how you want to be)... but the more I read and the more I learn... I'm thinking perhaps going back to how I started for the first 8 weeks would be better (the eating back way).. anyway.. just thought I'd ask you Hatters your thoughts but as I said no worries if you don't feel comfy responding k??

I loved Tonya's post this morning; and it was a great reminder for me right now as the scales show I'm up a pound.. but I am honestly fine with it (now... will admit I had a few moments of IRRITATION) but it's all about as T said, changing our lifestyle.. I know the weight loss will come just from the changes I'm making ..but I have to remember my main goal is the changes, not the poundage... so thanks for the refocus T!

K better hit the shower and get human! Have a great day Hatters!
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    Snoozie,

I use the "eat back exercise calories" method. I let MFP calculate my daily and set my activity to sedentary. (I sit for basically 81/2 hours a day at work).:grumble: I also have a fitbit and use that to determine my exercise calories. I don't enter in anything for exercise unless it is something that I can't wear my fitbit for such as swimming.

I saw that forum topic about "eating for where you want to be" and for me personally it was too confusing. In the beginning I was just learning to eat within the daily calorie count set by MFP. When I got the fitbit I realized I could eat more if I moved more :smile: That made me happy....:laugh: Like I said in my post, I haven't lost a ton of weight in a hurry but I am losing and learning so much more than I ever knew before.

Today for lunch I actually have sugar snap peas and carrots to go with my pork..:bigsmile:

This is what has worked for me and I hope it will give you some info to determine what is right for you,
    ~t
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    i'm working my way thru the "plate method....

looking for "balance" whatever that is.....

protein good carbs (fruit / veggie) and maybe a bread....

today's plan:

cheerios with skim / coffee
    salad for lunch
    dinner - lunch meat sandwich and chips...

snacks - fruit / yogurt

water is my friend????:grumble: :laugh: (seriously have 9 glasses planned) - to help "clean things out"....

try to keep soda / chocolate to a minimum....
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    it was so funny at my last gastro appt - more on that later... the doc said to keep my "fats" to a minimum - like i even enjoy bk / mcd? since that just goes from the lips and straight out the other end....:laugh:

gastro - 'gall stones and a liver thrombosis i think?" that he keeps looking at - to make sure ok...

follow up from the blood closts on the brain and through out...

foot / lower calves / liver / lung / brain ..

but look at me now! go team go!:bigsmile:
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Snoozie, talk about a typo, meant to say nothing under size sixteen! Even my hot orioles world series 1979 shorts were a size 14. And when I said I would get into them before the o's win a series I was talking at least 1.5 yrs.!!!
    At hospital with mom in law, difficult decisions ahead. But i recognize that yesterday's mindless eating binge is not going to help me or anyone else, so i am officially declaring that I DON'T seek comfort in food.
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    HSH- Your declaration is awesome. I have used food so often as a way of escaping too many things to list. It is only recently that I determined that eating was only hurting not helping me.

We are here if you need to talk or vent about anything. I can understand about your MIL and hope all goes as it needs to.
    ~t
  • Snooozie
    Options
    HSH: Absolutely agree with Tonya - awesome statement, so very IPOU! ESPECIALLY under such stressful conditions - will be thinking of you and hoping for strength for hubby and all involved during the difficult time... hugs

Tonya - already said it in a PM, BUT thank you so much for the info... very much appreciated!!

cbm - with the plate method.. do you count calories at all or just do the plate thing for every meal? much appreciate you sharing...

Dinner tonight is going to be leftovers lol.. but lots of good veggies and a little lean pork is not a bad thing to have leftover lol...!!
    but I AM hungry to best get to nuking those fresh veg and warming up the piggie.. and I get a glass of wine too .. it's a good day lol!
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hatters I need your help.
    I need you to talk me down off the ledge.:ohwell: My husband is wanting a chocolate pie. So being the good wife that I am I am making it. I know that I am going to eat it. The pudding part was very tasty when I tasted it. I am looking forward to the real thing. Please do not try to hard talk me off this ledge:laugh: . Because I will have to have a piece. :love:

Thanks ladies.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :bigsmile: back away s-l-o=w=y from the pie cheryl... slowly... slowly... put down the pie plate... put down the spoon...

now back away slowwwwwwwwwly.... bad pie... bad bad pie.... blech...there is nothing in that plate you want.....

the pie is not your friend.. put the knife down and back away from the pie... slowly.... slowly.....

the pie will hurt you.... back away from the pie...... :bigsmile:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cheryl - can you make a "good girl" chocolate pie with sugar-free pudding topped with Cool Whip? Not the same thing, I know, but not a bad bait and switch.
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    @ snoozie - i found that keeping the balance - look at your profile - will help with the plate method

and i always try to opt for lower calorie counts without going into starvation mode... dinner is pretty much where i'm able to do the "plate" method...
    sometimes it's a mixture between the afternoon snack on / dinner..

breakfast and lunch are pretty much my lower calorie meals - since i have the men in the house and well... we know how they like to eat and it doesn't affect their waistline... ugh!:grumble: :explode:

dinner is usually my high calorie count meal...

Carol
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a busy week for all. Tony, my goodness , a busy time for you moving everything around. I bet you will enjoy your daughters company. I have an inlaw apartment (my Mom lives in it) It works out well that we each have our own space. HSH good luck with issues with MIL. I know it is a stressfull time. The dress sale sounds very interesting. I can not wait to hear your stories from the event.

Cheryl's delema with the pie reminds me of some brownies I made a few years back. I work in a cardiology practice & in the waiting room there is allways these magazines related to health stuff. One day I came across this "healthy" brownie recipe I thought I would try to make & bring in to share. The ingredients were very funky so I thought I would keep it a secret & see what people thought of them. They were a huge success untill I got into a panic when one of my co-workers told me she had eaten 3 of them so I had to tell her not to eat any more & share the ingredients with her. The recipe included prunes, black beans & apple sauce. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :bigsmile: @ Bis - one of my co workers did that to me a few weeks ago; but told me upfront it had black beans and beets in it.. but anything made with cocoa has no chance of survival when i'm around... so i loved em lol.. she was slightly astounded that I was totally up for more :laugh:

thanks for the info cbm!! appreciate all the info from everyone; i figure the more i know the better!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: back away s-l-o=w=y from the pie cheryl... slowly... slowly... put down the pie plate... put down the spoon...

now back away slowwwwwwwwwly.... bad pie... bad bad pie.... blech...there is nothing in that plate you want.....

the pie is not your friend.. put the knife down and back away from the pie... slowly.... slowly.....

the pie will hurt you.... back away from the pie...... :bigsmile:

Loved this !! laughed and laughed. And yet I still had the chocolate and peanut butter fudge sticks LOLOL But I stayed under all but fat and it was bad so I am happy. I have been charting exercise. Well actually I haven't taken the time to do any other than miles and miles I walk at school each day. But I don't eat exercise calories back unless I am on vacation so no need to worry about logging work exercise. I really don't remember 4:30 coming so early last year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grumble:
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I must confess I had a piece of the chocolate pie. It was a small piece and it was good. But I didnt go over my calories today, all is good. Now to find someone to share it with.

snoozie thanks for trying to talk me off the ledge. Good for a laugh.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :laugh: @ cheryl glad you enjoyed!

TA: thanks for the info on not eating em back... it's almost 4am here .. since u get up then, do you need a wake up call before i go back to bed lol
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Good Morning fellow Hatters. I miss talking with you all. I’ve had many good laughs reading your posts. I see that we are so much alike, as Tonya said. We are all going through a lot of the same issues in our everyday lives. With children moving back in for a while, until things get settled to elderly parents that need to be taken care of. My heart goes out to you all in these situations.
    Well, today is Weigh –in day. I haven’t had much luck on the scales. I feel like I’ve dropped inches in various places, but the scales haven’t moved yet,……. no worries, as long as I keep doing more good than bad, something will change eventually.
    That statement is worth a big IPOM for me. I was one of the worst to get on the scales and get discouraged when I didn’t see a loss or I saw a gain. It doesn’t bother me now, I know it will change at some point. I’ve just got to keep on keeping on.
    The construction has finished , so the way to the stairs is open. So it’s back to ‘em.
    HSHON- I wish we had some thrift stores to shop at. I have to use Hudson’s Dirt cheap as a replacement for them. It’s as close as I can get to one. There’s one close to my home that doesn’t get much traffic through it and I can usually find Jeans to fit me for $4:00.
    Well……
    breaks over , so it’s back to work.
    Oh,
    I Have a friend , Betty, that just went through Breast cancer surgery yesterday, with some in her lymph nodes. So I have a lot on my mind today, still praying for full recovery.
    Bye for now ,
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Good morninggggggggggg Mad Hatters!!

It's a gorgeous day here; a last blast of summer all this week and I'm loving it... its been lovely temps and cool at night; and early mornings at the lake are just perfect for a t shirt and shorts... so I'll take it as long as I can get it!

Have to log my brekkie and walk then will be back.... hope all the mad hatters are having a great day so far!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I noticed that we lost a Hatter from our group. So sorry. But I see we gained two more members, So great.
    To any of our members, that haven't had a chance to post.....
    ....just jump in there, any little post you want to say, let us know how it's going for you on this journey.