Ketosis Question

Options
arodriguez24
arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
Hi Guys, hopefully someone can help me out with this question.

From everything I have read it basically says that a minimum of 2 weeks is needed to enter dietary ketosis, 2-4 weeks for some. What would take you out of it? Is it one high carb meal, one high carb day or multiple back-to-back high carb days? And also does it reset and take you 2-3 weeks to go back into ketosis?

Thanks

Replies

• herrytews
    Options
    Hi,

I have been in ketosis for 8 weeks and have lost 36 lbs (and the weight is still falling off).

I have written a document detailing my experiences. Because I can't attach a PDF to this forum, I have provided a Dropbox link to it here ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmdzsaimrldpysd/Terry_ketogenic_diet.pdf

You have my word that I am a genuine user and this is a genuine document.

To answer your question, it took me 3 days to go into ketosis and I have stayed there ever since, by restricting carbs to less than 40g a day (very strictly).

Cheers
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

From everything I have read it basically says that a minimum of 2 weeks is needed to enter dietary ketosis, 2-4 weeks for some. What would take you out of it? Is it one high carb meal, one high carb day or multiple back-to-back high carb days? And also does it reset and take you 2-3 weeks to go back into ketosis?

Thanks

2 weeks is pretty long. to get into ketosis! i eat about 20 grams a day and (now that my body is used to it) takes less than 48 hours. when i first started i think 4 days was the max it ever took. the more i go in/out of ketosis the faster my body adapts.

one high carb meal can certainly kick you out of ketosis (and make you gain back a bunch of water weight!) but it also depends how long you've been in keotsis, and how your body responds to carbs. if you mean a meal consisting of 300 grams of carbs, for sure! but a normal meal of a protein, veggie and a potato or some rice, maybe not. i eat a few fries here and there when i get fast food and i doesn't kick me out. it's definitely a YMMV type of thing.
  • arodriguez24
    arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, so basically you don't have to go back into a lengthy induction period to get back in ketosis, that's good to know. I'm not monitoring it with any devices but I'm assuming I'm in since I have kept my carbs 25 or less for weeks now. The reason I was worried is because I went to the movies 2 weeks ago and had a small buttered popcorn which is like 40-50 carbs.

@Terry thanks for the doc. It looks like it has some very valuable info, I'll dig into it later.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Thanks

a south african doctor has studied ketosis and says that in order to come out, any amount of carb. intake will suffice. Depending on how much or how little you consume will determine how quickly you reenter ketosis.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to leave ketosis, but there have been a few parties/events that I was pretty sure should have kicked me out, but didn't.

The longer I'm in, the better I feel! I do have a friend who can bounce in and out very quickly, so it's different for everyone.