Vaginas have awesome secret sperm deflectors!

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Well versed in our founding I see. Your civics teacher should have his teaching license revoked. The Constitution didn't grant us rights, it told the gov what right's it couldn't take away because, as I have said, those rights were granted by God and nature. What I said is in print, it's not too hard to understand.

In fact, the Bill of Rights wasn't originally going to be included into the the Constitution because some founders believed it wasn't necessary. They figured natural rights would always be understood. Thank God they changed their minds.

Umm..k. And you went to the God place. I'm going to assume you're just trolling now.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    No problem, jenbit. During lunch, I was thinking about what makes an embryo or pre-viability fetus unique. When I got back, I saw that you had posted exactly the answer I would give. So when Angryguy seemed to completely miss your point, it gave me a good excuse to restate it in my own words.

And I now see that Windchild has restated it as well and even better than I did!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't think abortion is ok after 18 years of age. After that point it's a bit too late, but before then what if the baby turns out to be a douche nozzle???

[joking of course]
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    No problem, jenbit. During lunch, I was thinking about what makes an embryo or pre-viability fetus unique. When I got back, I saw that you had posted exactly the answer I would give. So when Angryguy seemed to completely miss your point, it gave me a good excuse to restate it in my own words.

And I now see that Windchild has restated it as well and even better than I did!

I don't know that I stated it any better than you did. *L* You thought to write something I didn't, after all. About outlawing abortions only causes unsafe abortions. :flowerforyou:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I don't know that I stated it any better than you did. *L* You thought to write something I didn't, after all. About outlawing abortions only causes unsafe abortions. :flowerforyou:

If we are giving props here, pretty sure that I mentioned it too. :wink:
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

This is not about health of the mother, this is about the majority of abortions. Health of the mother is the only exception I would make for an abortion.

Your logic is flawed to me to be honest. How is it a different scenario? A person who is born without a limb or is mentally ill is still underdeveloped. Why are they human and an underdeveloped person in the womb not?

Pro-abortionists call it a mass of cells and define it as not being human. If they were to call it human they wouldn't be able to justify the belief.

Of course you think my logic is flawed. You're using different definitions for what qualifies as human with respect to who we give rights to. That's it. There is no more. We just flat out disagree. You have beliefs that I don't share. I think viability of the fetus outside the womb is probably central to any discussion of abortion, but I doubt you do.

Her body, her choice. You think the fetus incapable of surviving outside the womb counts a person with equal standing as anyone else and I don't.

I'm curious as to why you make an exception for the health of the mother, though. Aren't the rights of either life equal? We might as well harvest organs from patients in comas against the wishes of the family members, in order to save the lives of people who need them. Sure they have equal rights, but it'll save the life this other person over here so that justifies it.

The reason I say life of the mother is there is no reason that 2 people should die.

You still have not given me a reasonable explanation of the differences between the fetus and the mentally ill/handicapped other than the state says so. I've given you thought process as to why I believe how I do, your only reply is that you simply don't believe it and the state grants us rights. We can disagree, but you haven't thought this out.

The difference in our beliefs is you believe that rights are derived from government and not nature.

I am curious exactly what rights does nature provide a human?

Have you read the Declaration of Independence? The founders believed that equality, unalienable rights and government by consent, life liberty and the pursuit of happiness are the inherent rights of man. Believing that they are derived from government means that they can be taken away and gives it too much power.

Yes I have read that government document written by the Continental Congress.

So my question still stands... what rights does nature provide a human?

I already explained it as well as the DoI. It's pretty straight forward on where our liberties come from. I see you are trying to make the point of personal freedom and how it relates to women carrying babies. But until you can give be a reasonable definition of humanity, there is no reason to continue this conversation. Nice try though, you libs are not hard to figure out.

I am pretty sure you just made some liberals on this board spit up their drink with that one.

well I saw through his intentions rather easily didn't I? Must be tough to base your beliefs on emotion rather than thought.

I am actually a conservative that is pro choice. I think that is allowed but I will check my handbook. I am probably liberal on most social issues. I guess if you want to label me then Libertarian it is.

Rights are provided by government (people). Without government you have no rights or you have whatever rights you wish. Who is there to stop you?

I respect your stance on abortion even though I along with our government disagree with it. That said, a fetus has as much rights as the mass of cells people leave in condoms after a good night.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options

If we are giving props here, pretty sure that I mentioned it too. :wink:

You did! :flowerforyou:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed. Props to k8blujay2 for mentioning that outlawing abortion doesn't stop abortion!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed. Props to k8blujay2 for mentioning that outlawing abortion doesn't stop abortion!

Yay! Props.

Oh wait, this is a serious discussion. :glasses:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    d0cdc180_EpicFacePalm.jpg
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think there is an asymmetry between the emprical support for the anti-abortion position and the moral amplitude that some ascribed to it.

I don't think anyone has detemined with 100% certainly exactly "when life begins". It's a question that has been debated and researched for what seems like forever. Not everyone feels this way, but for someone who is convinced that "life begins at conception" it's not a big leap to the idea that abortion is "killing innocent babies" and from there it doesn't take much more moral self-righteousness to justify any action, including murder, against those who are "killing babies". Or to elevate the debate to the level of "human rights", in which the mother and the zygote/blastocyst/embryo are considered equals.

But without empirical certainty, and without a common definition of what constitues "life", this position cannot be absolute, no matter how strong the emotions associated with it. When you get down to the fundamental belief, it is still a subjective one. Because of that, I think it is wrong to try to compel others to subscribe to what is essentially a philosophy or a religion, not demonstrated fact.

Again, I understand objectively how someone who is convinced that abortion = killing children could get worked up on the subject. Who isn't against "killing babies"?

But I cannot fathom that a rational human being with even the tiniest capacity for self-reflection or humility, could not look at this subject and at least consider the possibility that those who support abortion might have some justification for that position as well.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    But I cannot fathom that a rational human being with even the tiniest capacity for self-reflection or humility, could not look at this subject and at least consider the possibility that those who support abortion might have some justification for that position as well.
    Of course they do. They are bloodthirsty barbarians who want to feast on the embryonic stem cells of aborted babies! They stole my cord blood!! MURDERERS!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Of course they do. They are bloodthirsty barbarians who want to feast on the embryonic stem cells of aborted babies! They stole my cord blood!! MURDERERS!

Well, yeah, there's that.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Could life begin at conception? Maybe. I'm just not going to take the rights away from an american woman who I know is a citizen and alive based on a hunch. I value liberty more than life. That's my take on it. Could I be wrong? Yup.

Second, if God gave us rights, every ones would be equal and we wouldn't need to die for them. If god gave me the right to free speech, to bear arms, to freedom of religion, I think millions of soliders and civilians got jipped because they died for nothing.

You don't have god given rights, you have gun given rights. At the end of the day, no supernatural force will be able to secure your liberty.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Could life begin at conception? Maybe. I'm just not going to take the rights away from an american woman who I know is a citizen and alive based on a hunch. I value liberty more than life. That's my take on it. Could I be wrong? Yup.

Second, if God gave us rights, every ones would be equal and we wouldn't need to die for them. If god gave me the right to free speech, to bear arms, to freedom of religion, I think millions of soliders and civilians got jipped because they died for nothing.

You don't have god given rights, you have gun given rights. At the end of the day, no supernatural force will be able to secure your liberty.

"Gun Given Rights." So he/she who has the biggest stick makes all the rights? That's how they do it in China, North Korea, Cambodia, Syria and other places that have no human rights. I know it's not what you meant at all, but careful with those that hate guns. I myself, like shooting them and shooting at things. As for AngryGuy, depends on your definition of troll. He's passionate about his stance, and he seems to make his point with certain science/historical rhetoric, but it doesn't make him a troll. To me, a troll would be someone who just says it's stupid and that's it. No "valid type" argument. He semi backs it up at least. Anyway, carry on. Let's agree to disagree respectfully. But this....this right here was halarious!
    "Captain! The sperm deflector shields are at 40%!"

'Divert all power form the reverse thrusters to the sperm deflector shields!"

"Won't that make a mess?"

"We're already in a world of *kitten*, Joker!"

For some reason, I found this to be funnier with the Star Trek Next Generation crew voices, than the classic Star Trek crew voices.
  • adrian_indy
    Options

"Gun Given Rights." So he/she who has the biggest stick makes all the rights? That's how they do it in China, North Korea, Cambodia, Syria and other places that have no human rights. I know it's not what you meant at all, but careful with those that hate guns. I myself, like shooting them and shooting at things. As for AngryGuy, depends on your definition of troll. He's passionate about his stance, and he seems to make his point with certain science/historical rhetoric, but it doesn't make him a troll. To me, a troll would be someone who just says it's stupid and that's it. No "valid type" argument. He semi backs it up at least. Anyway, carry on. Let's agree to disagree respectfully. But this....this right here was halarious!
    "Captain! The sperm deflector shields are at 40%!"

'Divert all power form the reverse thrusters to the sperm deflector shields!"

"Won't that make a mess?"

"We're already in a world of *kitten*, Joker!"

For some reason, I found this to be funnier with the Star Trek Next Generation crew voices, than the classic Star Trek crew voices.

In case you haven't noticed......all the countries you listed, there citizens aren't allowed to have fire arms. Almost every core right you have in this nation came from blood shed. Whether it be a musket, rifle, or getting sprayed down with a water cannon.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    As for AngryGuy, depends on your definition of troll. He's passionate about his stance, and he seems to make his point with certain science/historical rhetoric, but it doesn't make him a troll. To me, a troll would be someone who just says it's stupid and that's it. No "valid type" argument. He semi backs it up at least.

Attempting to back up a supposedly rational argument with non-evidenced "natural law" or presumptions of God's intent doesn't really qualify as an attempt for me. Instead, he actually ends up backing up his positions with apparent passion and inflammatory rhetoric (pro-abortionists? try pro choice).
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    As for AngryGuy, depends on your definition of troll. He's passionate about his stance, and he seems to make his point with certain science/historical rhetoric, but it doesn't make him a troll. To me, a troll would be someone who just says it's stupid and that's it. No "valid type" argument. He semi backs it up at least.

Attempting to back up a supposedly rational argument with non-evidenced "natural law" or presumptions of God's intent doesn't really qualify as an attempt for me. Instead, he actually ends up backing up his positions with apparent passion and inflammatory rhetoric (pro-abortionists? try pro choice).

You just don't get it Evan. Sure we had to aquire guns, kill a bunch a people, lose a lot of people, combine ancient greek style democratic elections with more modern constitutional republic ideas to form this nation and give us the rights decided upon by compromise.....but that is it was all god given.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue for me in the Akin case is that I find it absolutely terrifying that someone who is completely clueless about the basic biology of my body is trying to legislate it. This goes so far beyond abortion debate - the statements and law propositions made by Akin are simply and blatantly anti-woman.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    The biggest issue for me in the Akin case is that I find it absolutely terrifying that someone who is completely clueless about the basic biology of my body is trying to legislate it. This goes so far beyond abortion debate - the statements and law propositions made by Akin are simply and blatantly anti-woman.

Yup. I realize that everyone is human, even politicians, and I often get annoyed at gotchya questions that they get ambushed with, like who the ambassodor from Guatamala is? But I do have the expectation that our elected officials have at least the minimum of knowledge that a GED earner would have....that vaginas don't have star trek shields. Lol.