Hairy Dieters

Options
geordiegirl27
geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
Apologies if this has been discussed & I've missed it, but 2 weeks away with work & only just catching up on TV.

I am shocked & stunned and to be honest even pre EM2WL I would have been at them only being allowed 1300 cal/day!!! For the fact they are blokes & esp Si being so tall surely that's not a recommended amount of daily calories, but it appears to be! And they're expected to exercise too!!

Replies

• fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Is that the name of a TV show? Must be a UK think? But tell more - I am intrigued!
  • geordiegirl27
    Options
    Sorry I forget! We have 2 blokes who love motorbikes & food & have made their names as TV chefs originally called the hairy bikers (they have long hair) then one series afforded them the name the hairy bakers now over indulgence & need to lose weight they're the hairy dieters.

They travel around the country & indeed the world looking at local food & learning how to cook & eating it. Over the years they've piled a bit of weight on info this series is about eating good home cooked favourite meals but low(er) calories.

They've started off at 18+ & 19+ & they're big blokes to me 1300 calories is ridiculous my BMR is 1453 so they are say under just not a good message even based on a LCD for a man. They're losing weight though around 1st each in the 1st month.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I was horrified watching last night's episode to see that they then had to drop their calories to 1200 in order to keep losing. Are they going to be down to 1000 next week?

Some of the recipes look good though!
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    I was horrified watching last night's episode to see that they then had to drop their calories to 1200 in order to keep losing. Are they going to be down to 1000 next week?

Some of the recipes look good though!

They're after a quick fix, for a TV show, so the doctor advised them to eat this little in order to continue losing weight quickly. For the TV show. It's hardly going to get people to choose their low calories to lose weight if they don't SHOW weightloss themselves, is it? You wait though, in a few months those pounds will be creeping back on!

I believe the recipe book has a page 'Our Tips For A Skinnier You'. One of them is: 'Once you've reached your target weight, keep checking regularly and go back on the plan if you find you've gained a few pounds.'

Says it all, really? It's being thrown out there as a quick-fix diet unfortunately. Not sustainable. Hence the 1200 calories. Let's be honest, when we all joined MFP and were given that 1200 calories, we all lost weight. Some of us will have put some back on (I know I did) but now we're all working to SLOWLY get back down because we know better.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was shocked at them having to drop that much but I suppose their weight loss has been pretty dramatic, slow and steady wouldn't make good TV would it!
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    1300?? That's less than my BMR and I'm a 5'4" girl!! If they kept that up for any length of time they wouldn't be hairy dieters any more because all their hair would be dropping out in clumps!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it but heard colleagues discussing it at work, how they started at 1300 cals and were advised by a doctor to drop to 1200 because their weight loss stalled. Yeah, good one!

They were also cycling around the Lake District (very hilly area) and clearly weren't eating back exercise calories because they were trying to make meals for 300 cals. Awful (but not surprising) that doctors are spouting this nonsense.

Will be waiting for the next series when they're back to their pre-loss size and are having to repeat the cycle.
  • fitfunk
    Options
    Oh that sounds like a good one - for the healthy/yummy recipe ideas, not for the VLCD tips! Hope BBCAmerica brings it on over my way. Wouldn't it be great if there were a show that followed one or more heavy people for the long haul to watch them lose weight sensibly? They could edit it and just check in with them every month or so (as it would likely take longer than the quick fix approach). Set them up with a chef who would show them great recipes that covered nutritional needs and all food groups, a trainer who helped them find exercise they truly enjoyed, etc etc and just overall showed the lifestyle change without all the suffering and starvation.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Isn't any TV show about losing weight a gimmick? The recipes do look good though and I plan on getting the cook book later this month when i get paid

Not sure if you can access the page outside the UK, but the BBC link for the show is
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vq8c6
    and just the recipes:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/hairy_bikers
  • geordiegirl27
    Options
    Just watching this weeks episode I am jaw on the ground at the 'to continue losing you need to drop to 1200cals & start exercise' as crocatilla said its ridiculous. To be honest they're loving losing weight & fat but they just seem to have lost their sparkle until the weight loss they do look great .

Last week had Dave throwing out all the goodies in the fridge which isn't necessary - moderation guys! I worry about the message it's sending & I know there's nothing worse than a converted mindset but seriously it's not healthy. It would be great to have a programme dealing with weight loss for life - how to fit in everyday food into a healthy way of life, just as fitfunk suggested (love your ticker btw!!)

The recipe ideas are great the low fat Indian & Chinese wow, I will put the cookbook on my birthday list.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Isn't any TV show about losing weight a gimmick? The recipes do look good though and I plan on getting the cook book later this month when i get paid

Not sure if you can access the page outside the UK, but the BBC link for the show is
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vq8c6
    and just the recipes:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/hairy_bikers

Just a warning: if you go to Kendra's recipe link it takes you to ALL of the Hairy BIKERS' recipes. I.E. definitely not the low fat/low calorie ones. Here's the link to the Hairy DIETERS' recipes for those interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?programmes[]=p00vq8c6
  • fitfunk
    Options
    Mmmmm, chicken korma... some nice recipe ideas for sure.